Boating Caches

Ottis

I have a great idea for a boating multi-cache that will take you to a few locations within a very small area of a local lake to gather information for the final coordinates. For those interested in boat rentals who do not have their own, the state park on the lake is the starting point, and they provide rentals of all types and prices. I have a sailboat, so the waypoint(s) will be close together to be doable in an afternoon. If you have a bass boat (like most of the boats there) or ski boat, it will take less than an hour. A free boat ramp is nearby, facilities, rentals, restaraunt, etc, etc. The cache will be physically located on land near a public pier where your boat can be tied up while hunting.

I've even considered offering an alternative route to follow to the same cache for non-boaters.

Before I embark on the laborous task of coordinating the route, does anyone think that this type of GeoCache would not be accepted?

Thanks!

Ottis

I've placed a number of caches that can only be reached by boat and, in some cases, only by canoe or kayak. Aside from mine, there are many, many caches in our area that are only accessible by watercraft of some sort and even some that require scuba gear. I don't think it should be a problem.

There's one off to my southwest that sounds very similar to what you're looking to do, so it seems like it would be reasonable to me. I think it's called Canoe Trip in michigan somewhere, but I'd have to go looking for it.

And personally, I'd have to say that one has had me intrigued since I've read it, just don't know when I'll get a chance to try it.

I was just denied permission by Mansfield City Parks to place an island cache at the reservoir - because the ice is never safe on this lake and they are afraid some would try the ice. It disappoints me a lot. The thing is, I was prepared to get 2 hits per year, because that's what I think would happen. Still, I wanted to do it.

I was just denied permission by Mansfield City Parks to place an island cache at the reservoir - because the ice is never safe on this lake and they are afraid some would try the ice. It disappoints me a lot. The thing is, I was prepared to get 2 hits per year, because that's what I think would happen. Still, I wanted to do it.

Sorry the cache was not approved. But I guess it's kind of like placing a cache near/on a RR track. There really is nothing unsafe, as long as people keep an eye and ear out and stay off the tracks when the train blows by. But, people think they are fast, have enough time, can get to it, etc. before disaster strikes. Human nature being what it is, you just know some idiot would try and walk on the ice when it wasn't safe....and then what?

Sad but true, many rules are in place to protect us, because we are too dumb to protect ourselves. <_<

I was just denied permission by Mansfield City Parks to place an island cache at the reservoir - because the ice is never safe on this lake and they are afraid some would try the ice.  It disappoints me a lot.  The thing is, I was prepared to get 2 hits per year, because that's what I think would happen.  Still, I wanted to do it.

That's what you get for asking.

Sad but true, many rules are in place to protect us, because we are too dumb to protect ourselves

Sad that people think that's OK.

Edited by briansnat
I was just denied permission by Mansfield City Parks to place an island cache at the reservoir - because the ice is never safe on this lake and they are afraid some would try the ice.  It disappoints me a lot.  The thing is, I was prepared to get 2 hits per year, because that's what I think would happen.  Still, I wanted to do it.

Sorry the cache was not approved. But I guess it's kind of like placing a cache near/on a RR track. There really is nothing unsafe, as long as people keep an eye and ear out and stay off the tracks when the train blows by. But, people think they are fast, have enough time, can get to it, etc. before disaster strikes. Human nature being what it is, you just know some idiot would try and walk on the ice when it wasn't safe....and then what?

Sad but true, many rules are in place to protect us, because we are too dumb to protect ourselves. :mad:

<_<

Sorry the cache was not approved. But I guess it's kind of like placing a cache near/on a RR track. There really is nothing unsafe, as long as people keep an eye and ear out and stay off the tracks when the train blows by

Actually there is a difference. RR tracks are private property.

You wouldn't want to get two hits per year on a RR track!

I think the island cache would have been great. See, there are 3 very tiny islands in fair proximity...so, you would NEED your gps once you got out there to choose the island....I think on some you could leave your gps at home. I had a box made to hang in a tree well above any possible water level, and it would have been Teddy Bear Island, 'cause it contains a bunch of teddy bear figurines.

Oh, well...we all live with a little disappointment.

The parks gave you a big bunch of crap. I know a couple caches where people used the ice to their advantage to score the cache. Not to mention, if people want to wander out onto the ice, they will do it regardless if there is a geocache there.

If the parks are so concerned about ice, most parks have an ice report, all you'd have to do is link it to the page and you could declare right on the cache page whether or not the ice is currently thick enough to walk on.

Sorry, but I see this as a lame excuse from the park service causing what sounded like a great cache to go right to the crapper.

Sorry the cache was not approved. But I guess it's kind of like placing a cache near/on a RR track. There really is nothing unsafe, as long as people keep an eye and ear out and stay off the tracks when the train blows by

Many reservoirs are private property as well, owned by the city/borough etc it is in...at least here in Western PA. .....many of them are posted no trespassing.....some you can fish in, but not swim...some you can hike near but not fish, etc....

Gotta be stealthy when you access them.

<_<

Many reservoirs are private property as well, owned by the city/borough etc it is in...at least here in Western PA. .....many of them are posted no trespassing.....some you can fish in, but not swim...some you can hike near but not fish, etc....

<_<

Some are, but the reservoir in question here is open for recreational purposes, like boating, sailing and fishing.

Edited by briansnat

<_<

Some are, but the reservoir in question here is open for recreational purposes, like boating, sailing and fishing.

Very true.....I noted that in my post.....some are...but again, many (in my area at least) that are open for these activities are still posted as private property and therefore would technically require permission......just becasue boating/fishing is allowed doesnt mean caching would be...and therefore would still need permission, wouldn't it??? Or does thefact that it is open to the public for other uses make it ok to place a cache?? If this ist he cae, I have some new ideas for local caches! :)

I was under the idea that if an area is posted as "private property", permission must be asked for and given before the cache will be approved anyways...so if they had placed the cache without permission, it is likely that the reviewer would have known that area is private and would have rejected it anyway.....

I guess it all depends on how "private property" is defined and whether it is publically posted as such.....for instance, you couldn't place a Cache in Disney World without permission, though this is a VERY "public" place...or at least I wouldn;t think so.... ?? :mad:

I placed a "water" cache a month ago and no one has gone after it. I can't believe that there are no geocachers with boats out here in my area. It can be accessed on foot, but it's a long walk around part of the lake. By boat it is 10 minutes away from the marina. I hope someone finds it before winter

If the parks are so concerned about ice, most parks have an ice report, all you'd have to do is link it to the page and you could declare right on the cache page whether or not the ice is currently thick enough to walk on.

Sorry, but I see this as a lame excuse from the park service causing what sounded like a great cache to go right to the crapper.

This reservoir/park has some "restricted areas," which I must observe, including the islands. However, we are permitted to place caches in other areas.

The islands are perhaps 1/2 mile or less from the large spillway, and at the other end, perhaps a mile, there is a smaller spillway. It may be, because of the currents, that the ice tends to have unsafe areas at most times - at any rate, that has been the standing policy for years - no one is allowed on the ice. The conclusion that I can't place a cache on an island, is perhaps an over-reaction. Perhaps not.