Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

USB to serial adapter problems?

Have you tried to send waypoint to your GPS using a USB to to serial adapter and it doesn’t work? (but does using another program like EasyGps)

The latest beta version of GPSBabel (which GSAK uses “under the hood” to send waypoints to your GPS) now has a possible fix for this. You may like to download this version and try sending waypoints again, reporting success or failure.

To update the version of GPSBabel that GSAK is using, just unzip the new beta version into the install folder of GSAK (making sure you take the option to override any files)

You can then confirm GSAK is using this version by checking out the Help=>About screen

Download here

Edited by ClydeE
I understand why to use them, but I don't see anywhere it says where to type them to make them do what they do

As per my previous post, the primary use of special tags is to build your custom waypoint code and/or waypoint description when using one of the export dialogs.

For example, if you were exporting to MapSend see the picture below. Other exports have similar fields for you to enter special tags.

export1.png

So it won't work on the HTML exports I take it.  Oh Well, I was trying to get the hint decoded on the webpage.

Then why didn't you ask that in the first place? :blink:

Yes, if you really want to do it that way - Tools=>options=>HTML

options2.png

However, I don't see the need because the HTML export has the option to put the hints on the same page anyway.

html1.png

Edited by ClydeE
Never Mind.... stupid user error.  Why is it one always discovers the problem AFTER one posts the question?  :lol:

Posting the solution would help the next user searching for an answer to the same question.

Yea... you're right. But this was REALLY a STUPID user (ME)error :blink:

Im fairly sure was importing an old file instead of the one I had just made into Mapsource.

USB to serial adapter problems?

Have you tried to send waypoint to your GPS using a USB to to serial adapter and it doesn’t work? (but does using another program like EasyGps)

The latest beta version of  GPSBabel (which GSAK uses “under the hood” to send waypoints to your GPS) now has a possible fix for this. You may like to download this version and try sending waypoints again, reporting success or failure.

Emphasis added. I can't personally test every combination of hardware and OSes on the planet. If something quit working for you that used to work or started working, please do pipe up with that on the gpsbabel mailing lists. This version includes fixes for StreetPilot 2.70, Vista 3.60, MCT USB/serial adapters, several geriatric Garmins as well as a bazillion minor fixes. Every one of those fixes is the result of someone loaning someone hardware or being the eyes and fingers of a developer. (The MCT problem involved individuals in five time zones.)

Here was the announcement that went to the list earlier today.

I would suggest that you include in the dropdown field for "Container" the type of "None" since events, webcams and locationless have no container.

Currently all these containers come under the heading of "Unknown"

Do we really need a "None" as well as "Unknown"?

I know that this was asked in the previous version's topic, but I'm curious if there has been enough interest in this to move forward on it.

What I'm getting aroudn to asking is if there are any plans to make it easier to switch from one brand of GPSr to another. I have 2 Magellan's (Sportrak Map, and Platinum) and a Garmin Etrex.

I currently have them each on a 4-way switch box (hmmm only 3 connected that means I need to get another one :( )

When I am going to import/export waypoints to/from the GPSr's I have to go into GPS and then Setup to change the type of GPS I have connected. It's not a major deal, and I can make the switch in a couple of seconds, but I'm just wondering if there any future plans to automate this. (if it is even possible)

Thanks for your time and thanks for a GREAT!!! utility!!!

I know that this was asked in the previous version's topic, but I'm curious if there has been enough interest in this to move forward on it.

What I'm getting aroudn to asking is if there are any plans to make it easier to switch from one brand of GPSr to another. I have 2 Magellan's (Sportrak Map, and Platinum) and a Garmin Etrex.

I currently have them each on a 4-way switch box (hmmm only 3 connected that means I need to get another one :( )

When I am going to import/export waypoints to/from the GPSr's I have to go into GPS and then Setup to change the type of GPS I have connected. It's not a major deal, and I can make the switch in a couple of seconds, but I'm just wondering if there any future plans to automate this. (if it is even possible)

Version 4 added support for using 2 different brands of GPS - but this just means you don't loose your icon setup for each brand.

If others see a need for this I will add this one to my "to do" list

What I'm getting aroudn to asking is if there are any plans to make it easier to switch from one brand of GPSr to another.  I have 2 Magellan's (Sportrak Map, and Platinum) and a Garmin Etrex. 

I currently have them each on a 4-way switch box (hmmm only 3 connected that means I need to get another one  :(

When I am going to import/export waypoints to/from the GPSr's I have to go into GPS and then Setup to change the type of GPS I have connected.  It's not a major deal, and I can make the switch in a couple of seconds, but I'm just wondering if there any future plans to automate this. (if it is even possible)

Version 4 added support for using 2 different brands of GPS - but this just means you don't loose your icon setup for each brand.

I definitely wouldn't mind having saved "GPS profiles" for the connection info and, without having to switch to the GPS setup screen, just select the GPS I'm talking to on a pulldown menu combobox thingie from the "send waypoints" dialog. For each named "GPS Profile", all the fields on the "send waypoints" dialog would be persisted. That way, I don't have to hand change my waypoint from a 8 character to a 6 character when switching between my sportrak and my geko. Plus, once I have set up my "GPS profiles", I don't have to go back to the screen. I can selecti everything from the "send waypoints" dialog.

Dang, I obviously need a hardware switch. I'm getting really tired of connected and disconnecting my cables. A 4-way switch sounds like it would come in handy.

--Marky

Please correct me if I'm reading this wrong. You are saying that I can have 2 icons on my toolbar, one for each branch of GPSr? If I read you correctly, that would be perfect for me.

....I can't seem to figure out how to add the second export icon in the help file. I must have been mistaken. (or blind) BUT the 2 icons could be exactly how I'd like to have it on my toolbar setup.

thanks again,

John

Marky: I got my serial switchbox Here He doesn't seem to have any right now, but keep watching and he should put another one out soon.

Edited by Quintheeskimo66
Please correct me if I'm reading this wrong. You are saying that I can have 2 icons on my toolbar, one for each branch of GPSr? If I read you correctly, that would be perfect for me.

Let me calarify.

Before version 4 GSAK really only supported 1 brand of GPS at a time. As soon as you selected a different brand, all your icon mappings were lost for the previous brand.

Version 4 now saves all your icon mappings by brand name. So if you swap back and forth between brands you don't have to go through the process of mapping your icons again.

Bit confused by this but my yellow found count is out by 8 . Its been correct since I started but the last update I had found 9 and it went up by 17.

Using 4.00 and have tried the recalculate counts option. and it still shows 173 finds but if you count them after double clicking the yellow there are 165. (I use user data to number the finds)

Bit confused by this but my yellow found count is out by 8 . Its been correct since I started but the last update I had found 9 and it went up by 17.

Using 4.00 and have tried the recalculate counts option. and it still shows 173 finds but if you count them after double clicking the yellow there are 165. (I use user data to number the finds)

My finds seem fine. If I double click the yellow box it shows my # of finds (292) where I double clicked and to the left of it it shows "292 shown (out of a 840 possible)"

Does the double click yellow number match the number to the let of it which shows how many shown or are those numbers off?

I'm a bit confused on where you "counted" them.

Any chance you have logged a find more than once on any of your caches?

GSAK will only display one record for one cache no matter how many "find" logs you have logged. GSAK will however, look through your logs and if it sees more than one "find" log per record, it will increment your find total.

Gary

When I installed, it doubled all the points not found. One of each has no logs the other has the logs. I'm running Win98SE.

Is there an easy way to delete the second point or must a start wih Pocket Queries again?

Tks

alan

What I'm getting aroudn to asking is if there are any plans to make it easier to switch from one brand of GPSr to another.  I have 2 Magellan's (Sportrak Map, and Platinum) and a Garmin Etrex. 

I currently have them each on a 4-way switch box (hmmm only 3 connected that means I need to get another one  :blink:

When I am going to import/export waypoints to/from the GPSr's I have to go into GPS and then Setup to change the type of GPS I have connected.  It's not a major deal, and I can make the switch in a couple of seconds, but I'm just wondering if there any future plans to automate this. (if it is even possible)

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I had a feeling that I just wasn't understanding. Now the lightbulb is on.

Clyde...

Is it possible to limit the number of difficulty and terrain to just one number (rounded down)? I know about the %dif1 and %ter1, but I would rather be able to do something like %dif=1 so that a difficulty 1 or 1.5 would just show up as 1 (and a 2 or 2.5 would show up as a 2, and so on). You already have some tags that can use the =nn format. Can you please add it to the %dif and %ter tags as well?

Thanks for such a great program...

Scott of Team GeoDillo

Clyde...

Is it possible to limit the number of difficulty and terrain to just one number (rounded down)? I know about the %dif1 and %ter1, but I would rather be able to do something like %dif=1 so that a difficulty 1 or 1.5 would just show up as 1 (and a 2 or 2.5 would show up as a 2, and so on). You already have some tags that can use the =nn format. Can you please add it to the %dif and %ter tags as well?

Thanks for such a great program...

Scott of Team GeoDillo

No problems, (easy one for a change). I will add this for the next release.

When I installed, it doubled all the points not found. One of each has no logs the other has the logs. I'm running Win98SE.

Is there an easy way to delete the second point or must a start wih Pocket Queries again?

Tks

WOW :blink: Never heard of this one before. Are you saying all your "not found" waypoints are duplicated. Looking at the "code" column are they exactly the same?

If they are duplicated (I have no idea why this would happen) then yes, the only way to fix would be to reload your GPX files.

Version 4 added support for multi finds (caches that you can log more than one find). So your found count need no longer match the number of found waypoints in your database.

If you do not have any "multi finds" then please let me know as this would require further investigation

When I installed, it doubled all the points not found.  One of each has no logs the other has the logs.  I'm running Win98SE.

Tks

WOW :blink: Never heard of this one before. Are you saying all your "not found" waypoints are duplicated. Looking at the "code" column are they exactly the same?

If they are duplicated (I have no idea why this would happen) then yes, the only way to fix would be to reload your GPX files.

I think I see what may have happened. Somhow I opened a .gpx file on my desktop created previously by GSAK for my PPC that had the 10 digit waypoint name. I'm not sure I did i, but I must have opened it with the current GSAK save which has the geocaching GXxxxx so yes there are two of the same for each but with different codes.

I'll have to download the PQ's again and start over. Is there a way to flag this so you can't open a .gpx file but only GSAK itself? The icons look the same except for the shortcut arrow inside the icon.

Tks.

Alan

I would suggest that you include in the dropdown field for "Container" the type of "None" since events, webcams and locationless have no container.

Hi Clyde

I thought that "Unknown" could be replaced by "None", since there is no such thing as unknown container, but it either physically exists, so it is one of the other categories, or it doesn't phsically exist, so it is "None"

Thomas

Hi Clyde

I thought that "Unknown" could be replaced by "None", since there is no such thing as unknown container, but it either physically exists, so it is one of the other categories, or it doesn't phsically exist, so it is "None"

Thomas

That is not true. The GPX files from geocaching.com do sometimes have a container of "Unknown" as well as other miscellaneous names.

I guess it is just a case of terminology. What I am saying here is that basically they all mean the same thing and are therefore grouped under the one heading o f "Unknown" for the purpose of filtering.

Clyde, do you have any plans for moving the "Edit" function from the bottom of the list to the top? When I right-click on something and the choices appear, it's much easier to get to if it was up top. Not a biggie tho.

thanks

But perhaps this would not suite users that consider other options have a higher priority. I guess I should probably poll the required priority here and then change the order accordingly.

However, when I introduce the customized tool bar you would be able to set up a button for this anyway.

But don't get too exited as the custom tool bar in on my "to do" list though a little down the track yet.

I'll have to download the PQ's again and start over. Is there a way to flag this so you can't open a .gpx file but only GSAK itself? The icons look the same except for the shortcut arrow inside the icon.

Tks.

Sorry, this is one you would have to talk to Bill Gates about. Shortcuts are an integral part of windows and that is how they are supposed to work.

Tks.

Alan

Maybe I can help a little on this one. You'll have to disassociate gpx files from GSAK. You lose some convenience in doing so, but you would have to weigh that against the security of protecting against that undesired import. Also, I believe that you can set GSAK (if it isn't already) to ask you if you want to import the file even if you open it accidentally.

Unfortunately I can't remember the direct way to break the association in Win98. One way to due it would be to download EasyGPS; in the installation process you can let it take over the gpx association. Then if you doubleclick a gpx file, it will open into EasyGPS. Just be sure to not let GSAK take the association back again if it asks you to let it do so.

You can break the association with a .gpx file by right clicking on a .gpx file and select "Open With...", if necessary, you may need to select "Choose Program...". This will bring you an application selection dialog. May sure you check the "Always use this program..." checkbox and then select notepad or wordpad (or EasyGPS). This will "steal" the association from GSAK and from now on will launch what ever program you selected. You can always set it back using the same method.

--Marky

This has probably been covered before - if so appologies in advance.

I like to download to the gps only the cache waypoints I intend to go for that particular day / weekend. I have no desire to hold 500 on the gps. Would it be possible in the next version to enable a right click on a cache and select "send to gps" ?

Thanks

Geoff

This has probably been covered before - if so appologies in advance.

I like to download to the gps only the cache waypoints I intend to go for that particular day / weekend. I have no desire to hold 500 on the gps. Would it be possible in the next version to enable a right click on a cache and select "send to gps" ?

Thanks

Geoff

What you would want to do is make only the caches you want to download what is displayed in the grid. You can probably do this by using the User Flag and checking all the caches you want to download. Then click on Search/Filter menu and uncheck the "Not set" option near the bottom for "User Flag". That should cause only those caches you have checked the User Flag for to be displayed in the grid. All exports and Send to GPS to send only the displayed (selected) waypoints.

David

That's what the filters are for. For what you are describing, it might be easiest to check the User Flag box for any cache you wish to download, then filter on "User Flag = set." You can even name and save the filter if you wish.

You can use one of the User Flag/clear menu choices to reset the user flags when done.

Edit: David wins the touch-typing race (wow).

Edited by embra

I recently upgraded to Version 4 and did as I saw suggested in this topic. That is, without removing GSAK 3.05, I downloaded V4 and just installed it. Now in my XP, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs: I have a line item for both V3.05 and V4. Anyone else see this?

It seems to me that I should do a remove on 3.05. Any comments? (You bet I'll back up my data before I try it!)

Edited by Tom SKP
I'll have to download the PQ's again and start over.  Is there a way to flag this so you can't open a .gpx file but only GSAK itself?  The icons look the same except for the shortcut arrow inside the icon.

Tks.

Alan

Maybe I can help a little on this one. You'll have to disassociate gpx files from GSAK. You lose some convenience in doing so, but you would have to weigh that against the security of protecting against that undesired import. Also, I believe that you can set GSAK (if it isn't already) to ask you if you want to import the file even if you open it accidentally.

Unfortunately I can't remember the direct way to break the association in Win98. One way to due it would be to download EasyGPS; in the installation process you can let it take over the gpx association. Then if you doubleclick a gpx file, it will open into EasyGPS. Just be sure to not let GSAK take the association back again if it asks you to let it do so.

Unless you are using automation (which won't happen by clicking on this short cut) GSAK will not automatically load the file anyway - no matter what your settings are.

Worst case scenario is that GSAK will start, and the load dialog will be displayed. At this point just click on cancel. I would have thought this would be more convenient than removing the association of GPX files to GSAK.

Edited by ClydeE

I just installed v4.01. This is the best thing since cold beer!

Here's my problem. Until such time as I can afford (when I get a decent job) Pocket Queries (Premium Membership on GC.com), I'm forced to use EasyGPS to load waypoint on my 60CS. When I open the bastardized gpx file (I save the loc as a gpx), the Waypoint Name column in GSAK has the GC# instead of the name of the cache. Is there some way I can set up GSAK to make this happen?

thanks, the first thing I'm planning to do is to register (as long as I don't have to use Paypal) and get a Premium membership.

I just thought of something. I saw elsewhere on the Forums that Robert is about to get a 60C. That means it won't be long until GPS Babel will support USB and then so will GSAK. Then I could load direct from the GPS and conversely not need to export to MapSource to load to the GPS.

Sorry for the ramble.

thanks again for a GREAT program.

Here's my problem. Until such time as I can afford (when I get a decent job) Pocket Queries (Premium Membership on GC.com), I'm forced to use EasyGPS to load waypoint on my 60CS. When I open the bastardized gpx file (I save the loc as a gpx), the Waypoint Name column in GSAK has the GC# instead of the name of the cache. Is there some way I can set up GSAK to make this happen?

Yes, just load the LOC files you download from gc.com into GSAK first. Then export them to GPX/LOC format to load into EasyGPS instead of doing it the other way round.

Yes, just load the LOC files you download from gc.com into GSAK first. Then export them to GPX/LOC format to load into EasyGPS instead of doing it the other way round.

OK, will do.

thanks so much.

Now I'm really confused. Why do you need to use EasyGPS at all? Doesn't GSAK support downloading waypoints to a 60CS (I don't know, I don't have one)? I never use EasyGPS anymore. Actually, unless I am printing or viewing maps, I don't use any other programs besides GSAK. They don't call it Geocaching Swiss Army Knife for nothing. :rolleyes:

--Marky

Now I'm really confused. Why do you need to use EasyGPS at all? Doesn't GSAK support downloading waypoints to a 60CS (I don't know, I don't have one)? I never use EasyGPS anymore. Actually, unless I am printing or viewing maps, I don't use any other programs besides GSAK. They don't call it Geocaching Swiss Army Knife for nothing. :rolleyes:

--Marky

GSAK uses GPSBabel under the covers to do exports and sending of waypoints to the unit. GPSBabel in the current version doesn't work with USB connected devices. The GPSBabel developer took up a collection and I think reported he was going to get one of the units so he can work on developing the communications interface to work reliably over USB.

So for serial communications (or any communications that GPSBabel currently works with) you should be fine with GSAK communicating directly to the device (or file format).

David

Now I'm really confused.  Why do you need to use EasyGPS at all?  Doesn't GSAK support downloading waypoints to a 60CS (I don't know, I don't have one)?  I never use EasyGPS anymore.  Actually, unless I am printing or viewing maps, I don't use any other programs besides GSAK.  They don't call it Geocaching Swiss Army Knife for nothing.  :rolleyes:

--Marky

GSAK uses GPSBabel under the covers to do exports and sending of waypoints to the unit. GPSBabel in the current version doesn't work with USB connected devices. The GPSBabel developer took up a collection and I think reported he was going to get one of the units so he can work on developing the communications interface to work reliably over USB.

So for serial communications (or any communications that GPSBabel currently works with) you should be fine with GSAK communicating directly to the device (or file format).

David

That makes sense. Hopefully Robert will get USB support up and running soon. :rolleyes: (Of course, now that I saw that one GPS that has bluetooth, I'm thinking that all GPS devices should have bluetooth! Just think how easy it would be to sync up waypoints with your cacher friends when caching in groups! Also, DL'ing waypoints from a bluetooth enabled PDA would be sweet. ;) )

--Marky

How do I find my geocaching.com Owner ID #? I went to one of my cache pages and viewed the "Source", but I'm not sure if I found it or not.

thanks.

I actually had an issue yesterday that Clyde corrected for me. I had my name (Team DEMP) entered as gc.com logon id. I thought that was my logon id. I left it Team DEMP and changed the option to Exact Match and it properly records my finds, etc.

David

I currently have them each on a 4-way switch box (hmmm only 3 connected that means I need to get another one  :rolleyes:

I also have a couple different units that each require slightly different settings. My Garmin V allows much longer waypoint names than the 60C or the Rino. The 60C can hold twice as many waypoints as the V and the Rino.

Anyone else running into a bug that appears to be an error in the height of each record, such that if you page down, the slider reaches the bottom before you get to the bottom of the records? I've been working on gathering a list of caches for a trip, so I've got about 5k caches in at the moment, so it becomes pretty obvious at that point.

Might be nice to be able to sort ignoring things like "the" and "a" too, although I know doing that is a pain.

Anyone else running into a bug that appears to be an error in the height of each record, such that if you page down, the slider reaches the bottom before you get to the bottom of the records? I've been working on gathering a list of caches for a trip, so I've got about 5k caches in at the moment, so it becomes pretty obvious at that point.

Though I cannot reproduce here at the moment, it does not shock me as I have noticed some obscure quirks with the scroll bar at times. The problem is due to how the undelying database at times interacts with the grid when the data is sorted. There have been known problems with this in the past, but unfortunately Borland (Delphi is the programming language I use) did not see fit to fix these quirks/bugs in the version I am using.

However, you can always get to the end or the beginning of the data via the Navigation bar. If you are more a keyboard user, then you can go directly to the last page via Ctrl-Shift-End or the first via Ctrl-Shift-Home

When I create a Mapsource 5.4 file, all the waypoints are the typical geocaching icon. I've checked the box labelled Use Same Labels as GPS Send and have changed the GPS send to different icons. Actualy this had been done with the previous GSAK version which was doing it right.

What's wrong? Am I suppose to modify something with 4.01?

Tks

Alan