Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Thanks...I didnt have a question about the interface, and I guess I worded my ??? wrong...What I meant to say is how do I upload info from my legend to my GSAK?

thanks,

sgt cache

with your GPSr connected to the computer, and turned on, with GSAK open and running, click on the "GPS" button at the top in GSAK. Then select "Receive Waypoints"

edited to add one step

Edited by Cherokeecacher

Thanks, i guess that just about answers all my questions. Except for one...when the waypoints are received in GSAK, they are in all caps, correct? The reason I ask is b/c I already had some in both GSAK and on my unit, so when I received the waypoints, I had double, so I erased the double ones that were in all caps?

thanks,

sgt cache

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but what about a decimal point for mileage when using the arc/polygon filter?

I am not sure I understand your question.

You can already use the decimal point when you specify the number of miles from the arc.

For example if you wanted to filter out waypoints that were only half a mile from you route (arc) you would enter .5

Do you mean something else?

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet. It would be nice, if possible, to modify the cache icon when saving to a loc file. I can do this when saving to a Mapsend file and would like to do the same with EasyGPS.

Just curious then, why are you using EasyGPS.

If you use GSAK to send waypoints to your GPS you can change the icons like you can in MapSource.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet. It would be nice, if possible, to modify the cache icon when saving to a loc file. I can do this when saving to a Mapsend file and would like to do the same with EasyGPS.

Just curious then, why are you using EasyGPS.

If you use GSAK to send waypoints to your GPS you can change the icons like you can in MapSource.

I like to save them to a loc file as a backup, just in case. I used to upload to my GPS with EasyGPS as with that they would u/l in the order I want (usually distance from home). That way the 200 closest would have the comments still there and further away ones would lose them. I can do the same thing with GSAK, but would still like to save files as loc out of habit. If I cache with others and need identical sets of wp's, almost everyone can use the loc file, so I figure that may be good to have too.

Having run into the stupid 200 waypoint thing on my Magellans (and it's even worse with DirectRoute involved - see my FAQ below for why) I do a similar trick during upload. I'm sure to sort things during upload so the ones I'm most likely to hunt appear first in the upload. Fortunately, the proximity and arc filters make that happen very naturally.

If you set your home (or whatever) as the centre point, iand then sort by miles, does do the upload in the order you need? If not, I can show you how to tweak the GPSBabel custom export to do it behind GSAK's back, but I'm guessing there's a way to do it with the knobs on the front panel.

Having run into the stupid 200 waypoint thing on my Magellans (and it's even worse with DirectRoute involved - see my FAQ below for why) I do a similar trick during upload. I'm sure to sort things during upload so the ones I'm most likely to hunt appear first in the upload. Fortunately, the proximity and arc filters make that happen very naturally.

If you set your home (or whatever) as the centre point, iand then sort by miles, does do the upload in the order you need? If not, I can show you how to tweak the GPSBabel custom export to do it behind GSAK's back, but I'm guessing there's a way to do it with the knobs on the front panel.

I am still learning GSAK's finer points, but here's how I think I can do it. I organize the file by distance from home wp, then u/l, it has a prompt for the quantity you want to u/l, I select 1-200, then do another u/l with 201-400. If it works the same way it should be the latest wp's you u/l that lose the comments.

Another thing I like to do is always add my house as a wp to the loc/MapSend files. That way I can always tell approximately how long it will take to get home etc.

I am still learning GSAK's finer points, but here's how I think I can do it. I organize the file by distance from home wp, then u/l, it has a prompt for the quantity you want to u/l, I select 1-200, then do another u/l with 201-400. If it works the same way it should be the latest wp's you u/l that lose the comments

I can't quite see why you need to do this in 2 steps.

You should be able to just sort by distance, then send to your GPS.

GSAK sends waypoints in the current order of you database (in this case sorted by distance), so the first 200 closest waypoints will have comments (note this is Magellan limitiation, not GSAK) then 201 to whatever will not.

When I try to export a file to mapsource I get an error saying "unable to complete conversion, please try again, if problem persists contact clyde"

It does not create any file at all. So mapsource cant find the file

I am using a registered version 4.0.2 on win 98SE

When I try to export a file to mapsource I get an error saying "unable to complete conversion, please try again, if problem persists contact clyde"

It does not create any file at all. So mapsource cant find the file

I am using a registered version 4.0.2 on win 98SE

For some reason I have run into a few Win98 and ME systems that exhibit this behaviour when trying to communicate with GPSBabel via a method called "piping" which GSAK uses.

To stop GSAK from using "piping" to talk to GPSBabel go to Tools=>Options=>General and tick the box "Fix windows ME freeze problem"

You will not get any of the GUI feedback screens (like the progress bar when sending waypoints to your GPSr) but hopefully this will fix your problem.

With the new version 4.1 available today I see it has lots of new cool stuff. What files do I need to take home to have the same database and filters and such working in both places?

Using 4.1, click File / Backup and select the database(s) you want and check the Save GSAK Settings option.

You can try with/without the GSAK settings box to see if you need system systems or just those that are kept specific to the database. The Help file for this option specifies icon setup, filters, views and all sticky dialog settings.

First, 4.1 is so way cool. Do you think you could get a job at MS so we can get them to pay attention to our request.

2 quick things

1. Just restating a request for an Excel or comma delinited format.

2. A nice to have would be the ability for the program to erase (with confirmation of course) the GPX file when done. I put my files in a folder then have GSAK import the folder. Some of my PQ's overlap a geographical area, which means the potential for overwriting information.

I only bring this up because other programs I use that have similar files for updating the DB offer this feature.

Again, 4.1 made a great prgram greater. No buyer remorse here at all.

I understand why to use them, but I don't see anywhere it says where to type them to make them do what they do

Under the "GPS" menu, click on "Send Waypoints". A dialog opens that allows you to enter %parameters under "Build the waypoint name using tags" and "Waypoint Description Format".

Also, under the "File" menu, click "Export" and select the format you wish to export to. Depending on the format you select, you can use the same parameters for name or description (this keeps everything consistent between your GPSr, your mapping software, and your PDA, if you use all three, as I do).

I use "%drop2" (without the quotes) for the waypoint name, which gives me the waypoint code without the GC (avoids having to enter "GC" when searching by name on my GPSr). I just prefer the code to the smart name (old habits, I guess).

I use "%Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter)" (without the quotes) for description - tells me the cache name, the owner, the difficulty and the terrain.

Edit: Sorry, I answered this question from an earlier page about where to put the smart tags, then realized Clyde had already answered it on the following page, and done a much better job than I had (forgot this was a ten page thread!).

Edited by Kai Team
First, 4.1 is so way cool. Do you think you could get a job at MS so we can get them to pay attention to our request.

2 quick things

1. Just restating a request for an Excel or comma delinited format.

2. A nice to have would be the ability for the program to erase (with confirmation of course) the GPX file when done. I put my files in a folder then have GSAK import the folder. Some of my PQ's overlap a geographical area, which means the potential for overwriting information.

I only bring this up because other programs I use that have similar files for updating the DB offer this feature.

Again, 4.1 made a great prgram greater. No buyer remorse here at all.

Item 1

Native custom export to excel and csv will come to GSAK, however version 4.1 now gives you a reasonable work around.

1. Set up a GSAK view of just the columns and in the column order you want your excel spread sheet

2. Do a print preview, selecting the grid option.

3. Open the generated HTML file in Excel (Unfortunately I think this requires Excel 2000 or later to work)

The Grid print even allows a "replace graphics with text option" to further make this import into excel more compatible. Of course once in Excel you can generate a CSV file simply by doing a Save As.. to csv format.

Item 2

I will add this one to "the list"

Clyde,

I've been playing with Automating GSAK and now have a batch file to run GSAK from the command line and a GSAK macro file that 1) imports my latest PQ, 2) filters it, 3) exports the filtered results to MapSource and opens the map, 4) exports to my GPSr and 5) exports a Cachemate PDB and installs it on my Palm Pilot. :rolleyes:Fantastic - the whole process takes one double click and no time (assuming I remember to attach the GPSr and hot sync the PDA)!

1) In an earlier post, someone asked about getting the Palm Pilot installation dialog to go away. I avoid this problem by having the CacheMate file exported last (I still have it automatically invoke the Palm Pilot installation program, and the dialog still appears, but it doesn't matter since it's at the end of the process).

2) I love the "Pause" command added to GSAK automation in version 4.1.0 - I use it for exactly the reason you suggested - to remind me to connect the GPSr before the download command is invoked - among other things.

A suggestion for a future version - would it be possible for the Pause command to offer options rather than just "OK"? I'm thinking something like "Continue", "Skip Next Command" and "Exit". It would then be possible to have a complex macro where a process could be manually skipped (or the macro stopped altogether) at a pause.

Thanks - GSAK rules!