Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Version 4 of GSAK is now ready to download. The jump in version numbering is more a reflection of all the changes since the initial release of version 3, but the addition of printing also makes this a very significant release.

Download here www.gsak.net

Cheers

Clyde

Changes since Version 3.05

GSAK finally has print feature added!

Grid Layouts (Visible columns, column order, column width) can now be saved and restored, Tools=>Options=>Display

Added support for caches that you log more than one find (found count updated accordingly).

Added button to notes to allow pictures to be included

Added user customization for the priority of status colours (Found, Not found, Placed, Archived)

Added country to fields you can edit

Added bearing information to distance index in HTML generation

Added %bug, %last4 and %correct to available "special tags"

Added CacheMate to supported automation exports

Added Archived/Unavailable column you can now display. Double clicking toggles the status.

Added "corrected Coordinates indicator" column you can now display. Double clicking column brings up corrected coordinates dialog.

Added scroll bars to custom URL's control

Added support for Street and Trips in automation exports

Added "data lock" column to available fields to display in the grid. Toggle status via double click.

You can now specify the output folder for HTML automation.

Installation program now "remembers" where GSAK is installed. (You will not notice this feature until your NEXT install)

You can now toggle the travel bug status by double clicking in the travel bug column.

First time install now has centre point set to "Greenwich meridian" instead of nothing.

Stopped userflag and found column recognizing mouse double click

Changed layout of GPX open dialog to better display file names and most recent files, that have long path names

Double click in the "User Data" column now opens the edit dialog.

After using any set or clear user flag option, the cursor now stays on the current waypoint.

GSAK notes (they show as the first log in HTML) now have same icon as per grid view

Registration details moved back to main screen (Tools=>Options to override this)

Shipped default icons for Garmin are now Found = Geocache found, and Not Found = Geocache

Support for MapSend WPT files for load into arc filter.

GSAK now preserves icons sets for both Garmin and Magellan so you can use both without loosing icon settings.

When you delete a note, you now get a warning message before doing so.

Increased precision of lat/lon from a minimum of 5 decimal places to 7 decimal places

When adding/removing columns to display in grid, existing column size and position is now preserved.

Put in error handling for the windows XP "unhandled archive" problem.

Cachemate conversion now shows CmConvert Summary (and copies this information to the clipboard)

Fixed Cachemate export crash if your waypoint code contained a "&".

Fixed bug in calculation of totals (and screen display) when you change status of user flag such that it removes that waypoint from your current filter. For Example, having a filter on user flag = set, then removing the user flag for a waypoint.

Fixed bug where disk space not being restored in repair/defrag (for deleted waypoints)

Fixed "Found by me" date not being exported/imported in GPX file

Fixed %typ1 for Mystery caches showing as U when should be Y

Fixed focus quirk in OziExplorer when showing a waypoint not on current map.

Fixed tab order of add/edit dialog

Fixed bug where Column changes were lost after doing a delete.

Fixed bug where offline view only showing maximum of 1 travel bug.

Fixed bug where centre point not being saved at the database level after using a filter that contains a centre point.

Fixed bug where GSAK would crash if a zip file contains only a LOC file and not a GPX file (via drag and drop)

Fixed obscure polygon filter bug that would cause some waypoints outside the polygon to be selected

Fixed bug "invalid variant type conversion" error would occur when you removed the last waypoint in a filter.

Edited by ClydeE

ClydeE just closed "Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife), Version 3.05", but I wanted to answer a post that was there:

Still a kick a** program! What does registering get you, besides thanks from Clyde?

I can't answer for everyone, but while I was playing around with GSAK, I made the generated webpages. Then figuring what the heck, I put the directory generated onto my SD card, and slapped that into my Treo 600 PDA. There is a web browser on there, and I was able to browse to the index.htm on the card. The result was like having the Geocaching.com webpages right on my PDA which I carry with me everywhere. I thought this was so great, that I paid the $15 registration right then and there. When someone makes an application that will be (and it is) used often and makes life easy, they deserve their requested donation for their work.

So to better answer the "what does it get you." For me I get the feeling that I paid for a well made program, and encouraged the developer to keep on working on it. And I think I got a bargin at that!

Louis

Clyde,

Wow! You've done an OUTSTANDING job with the newly released v4.00 of GSAK. As a fellow programmer myself, I think that you are selling yourself short with this one. GSAK is by far the best program out there for working with geocache info from GC.com IMHO. You should really think seriously about making the program shareware and upping the registration fee to something like $29.95. If you are worried about not having a "free" version available for competition with EasyGPS, etc., then you could always release a trimmed down version of GSAK for that purpose that is limited in its feature set.

You've got a great piece of software on your hands and you should try to get back some of the hard work you've put into it. I myself will be registering GSAK twice as I feel that the $30 is worth every darn penny!

Thanks again Clyde for such an AWESOME program and for all of the great support you provide for it! :blink:

I myself will be registering GSAK twice as I feel that the $30 is worth every darn penny!

Register twice - I'm sure Clyde won't mind!!!

I use it daily and it's an amazing program. I hope Clyde continues to enthusiastically maintain and enhance his application!

Ok, I don't get it <_< , when I go to GSAK home page to download the latest version of GSAK, it only has ver. 3.05. I have that version already and I am a registered user. I got my e-mail this morning saying ver. 4 was ready for download. So, where is it?

Anybody else having this problem?

GSAK is such a great program and I am looking forward to the latest and greatest version.

Thanks in advance :mad:

Ok, I don't get it <_< , when I go to GSAK home page to download the latest version of GSAK, it only has ver. 3.05. I have that version already and I am a registered user. I got my e-mail this morning saying ver. 4 was ready for download. So, where is it?

Anybody else having this problem?

GSAK is such a great program and I am looking forward to the latest and greatest version.

Thanks in advance :mad:

Did you go to the link that Clyde gives in his opening post?

You've got something odd going on with your end; the page and download seem to work fine for the rest of us (I'm making some rather grand extrapolations here).

Are you using Internet Explorer? If so, try clearing your cache memory (tools/internet options/delete files). Try the download again.

If you keep getting the same results, you might want to take the occasion to join in the move to a different browser. Mozilla seems to work nicely now, and I've been using the free version of Opera for a week now with satisfaction.

You've got something odd going on with your end; the page and download seem to work fine for the rest of us (I'm making some rather grand extrapolations here).

Are you using Internet Explorer? If so, try clearing your cache memory (tools/internet options/delete files). Try the download again.

If you keep getting the same results, you might want to take the occasion to join in the move to a different browser. Mozilla seems to work nicely now, and I've been using the free version of Opera for a week now with satisfaction.

You pegged it Embra. I was using AOL. I went to Internet Explorer and there was version 4.0. :mad:

Thanks for all the help :) I have to go download it now. <_<

I love the condensed HTML printing option. Any chance of adding the logs to the printout? RM

Then it wouldn't be condensed any more <_<

Just kidding. That shouldn't be hard to do. I am already getting extra requests on the printing options (I had to start some where, right?). I will weigh them all up, but should be able to add most of them in the next release.

I've been enjoying using GSAK for 2-3 months now and think it's awesome! I paid to register to help continue future development.

One question that I've been boggling my mind with is how I can flag waypoints/caches as ones I've placed. I've messed around in different areas, but can't seem to find where I'd set this.

I've been enjoying using GSAK for 2-3 months now and think it's awesome! I paid to register to help continue future development.

One question that I've been boggling my mind with is how I can flag waypoints/caches as ones I've placed. I've messed around in different areas, but can't seem to find where I'd set this.

You don't actually toggle this. GSAK has 3 methods to determine if a cache is "placed" by you. As long as you use one of these methods, and get it right, then GSAK will automatically recognize your placed caches. To set any one of these 3 method use Tools=>Options

It is quite important you get this right because GSAK also uses this information determine multi finds and web cam finds.

I have had a few users ask me:

"It would be good if you could click on a cache and add it to my watch list" and

"It would be nice to click on a cache and open up the log page"

You can do this now by adding custom URLs. For the two above add:

Add cache to watch list=http://www.geocaching.com/my/watchlist.aspx?w=%gcid

Log cache=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=%gcid

To add a custom URL, Tools=>Options=Html and if you need more help click here

And don't forget if you prefix any custom URL name with ! (Exclamation mark) a link will be generated in any HTML pages that GSAK generates.

Edited to add last paragraph

Edited by ClydeE

I am also using GSAK 4.0 and I am amazed about the great job Clyde does for all of us. As it was said previousley, Clyde deserves every single penny of the registration fee. I can't thank enough for that fantastic program, except maybe by making an extra donation, which I will consider to do very soon.

This is not a request, it's more a question/suggestion:

Would it be possible in a future version to include a field, to where you either can upload pictures or enter a URL to pictures, you have saved to your hard drive? That would be an awsome enhancement to the best geocaching database there is!! This way, pictures could be allocated to the appropriate cache. For the time being I use the ThumbsPlus program, but then I don't have the cache information

Thanks for looking into it

Best regards

Tom

Would it be possible in a future version to include a field, to where you either can upload pictures or enter a URL to pictures, you have saved to your hard drive? That would be an awsome enhancement to the best geocaching database there is!! This way, pictures could be allocated to the appropriate cache. For the time being I use the ThumbsPlus program, but then I don't have the cache information

This feature is already there ^_^

The user notes supports HTML. So you can place any URL in there. Also in version 4 I have added the "Picture" button. Just click on it, select your graphic from your hard drive, and GSAK will insert the corresponding HTML code to show that picture.

You can then instantly see your picture in split screen mode.

You can add/edit a user note several ways:

1. Main Menu - Waypoints=>Add/Edit user note

2. Right click menu - Add/edit user note.

3. Keyboard - Ctrl T

4. Mains screen - double click on the user note icon.

This feature is already there B)

The user notes supports HTML. So you can place any URL in there. Also in version 4 I have added the "Picture" button. Just click on it, select your graphic from your hard drive, and GSAK will insert the corresponding HTML code to show that picture.

3. Keyboard - Ctrl T

Hi Clyde

Did anybody already tell you: You're THE man? ^_^

You just made my day!! In addition to a court case vs. my last employer, I just won today and that I don't depend on Social Security anymore, I've got your reply on this topic :PB):DB):D

This was my most perfect day since many months!!

Cheers to down-under form the tiny-bitty Switzerland

Tom

I would like some suggests from this very talented audience of GSAK worshippers.

Do you use multiple databases? if so, why?

I use 3. 1 for my home city (Dallas, TX). 2 for my moms house (Wichita, KS - we cache there too) and 3 for locationless. I track all my found caches via a different query and load it into Dallas db.

My pocket queries download the ACTIVE, NOT FOUND caches for each of these in separate files.

What I have noticed is that if I just keep loading new pocket queries my number grows and grows. Turns out that the ones that archive or unavilable would never be flagged or removed in GSAK. Therefore, I have to filter the not found and delete all those waypoints before I load up.

Anyone have a better idea or best practice??

Should I just use one db and create many different filters?

Thanks in advance,

ShaneP and the Geokids

I am also using GSAK 4.0 and I am amazed about the great job Clyde does for all of us. As it was said previousley, Clyde deserves every single penny of the registration fee. I can't thank enough for that fantastic program, except maybe by making an extra donation, which I will consider to do very soon.

Will I knock this back – hell no :P

Will I appreciate it – hell yea ^_^

However, I would like to make clear my stance here. I have set the bar for GSAK registration. If you feel the bar is too low, then really that is your good fortune.

The fact that some may feel GSAK is worth more is very gratifying, but should in no way diminish the value in my eyes of your contribution

You should take comfort in the fact that I am pleased and very grateful you should even register in the first place, considering you have done it voluntarily as currently GSAK is essentially free, and the payment is really a “Good will gesture”.

Cheers

Clyde

How can anyone seriously manage their caching activities *WITHOUT* GSAK? The minute I found out about geocaching I downloaded "another program" and GSAK. Suffice to say the "other program" was uninstalled within 2mins and GSAK was registered within a week (as well as my premium subscription started!). I simply love GSAK, its great. I really can't express how well it WORKS AND WORKS AND WORKS... it saves me *SO* much time. Really Clyde, I'm sure I'm like most who have posted before thanking you in that all we can really do is say thanks and thanks some* more. It's really hard to put into words just how useful GSAK is! ^_^

Edited by pcmike

One of the reasons that I registered was how responsive ClydeE was to some of my suggestions. GSAK has definitely become my tool of choice and I rarely need any other program except when wanting to print out a map. Keep up the great work!

--Marky

This feature is already there ^_^

3. Keyboard - Ctrl T

Now THAT (picture button), is an awesome addition. You are definitely "the man".

Clyde, my automation works but it still prompts me with the tipoftheday when opening as I have gsak set to display the tip. Running v4.00

Ummm, turn the tip off....

gee - now why didn't i think of that?

;-)

It was meant to be a feature that when automating the import of caches, the tip of the day would not be displayed. I still have the tip on because I find it keeps showing even more new things, features and "wow's" that I didn't know were in this excellent software package.

Clyde, my automation works but it still prompts me with the tipoftheday when opening as I have gsak set to display the tip. Running v4.00

Ummm, turn the tip off....

gee - now why didn't i think of that?

;-)

It was meant to be a feature that when automating the import of caches, the tip of the day would not be displayed. I still have the tip on because I find it keeps showing even more new things, features and "wow's" that I didn't know were in this excellent software package.

I sent you a private email with a fix for this.

Did you not get it?

Do you use multiple databases? if so, why?

I use 3. 1 for my home city (Dallas, TX). 2 for my moms house (Wichita, KS - we cache there too) and 3 for locationless. I track all my found caches via a different query and load it into Dallas db.

My pocket queries download the ACTIVE, NOT FOUND caches for each of these in separate files.

What I have noticed is that if I just keep loading new pocket queries my number grows and grows. Turns out that the ones that archive or unavilable would never be flagged or removed in GSAK. Therefore, I have to filter the not found and delete all those waypoints before I load up.

I use multiple DB's. One for my home state, I refresh it with new data from GCC once a week. Its possible to figure out which ones were archived by looking at the date they were last updated. If you reload your area and a cache doesn't get updated then you could assume it had been archived. I don't like to do that so I just flush the whole state once a week and reload from new querys. This is easy to do if you can load your whole state in less than 5 querys. I don't know how the guys in the bigger states do it. That and since Michigan is mostly surrounded by water I don't overlap my querys with other states.

I use another DB for my founds. I occasionaly run a filter on my state db and export it as a GPX then import it into my found database. This way if a cache becomes archived its still in my founds.

I use another DB or DB's when I travel. I recently went to Virginia and set up querys for the route and for the area I was staying in. I put this in a DB. Now that the trip is over I'll dump that DB after exporting the founds and importing them into my found DB.

Clyde,

Wow! You've done an OUTSTANDING job with the newly released v4.00 of GSAK. As a fellow programmer myself, I think that you are selling yourself short with this one. GSAK is by far the best program out there for working with geocache info from GC.com IMHO. You should really think seriously about making the program shareware and upping the registration fee to something like $29.95. If you are worried about not having a "free" version available for competition with EasyGPS, etc., then you could always release a trimmed down version of GSAK for that purpose that is limited in its feature set.

You've got a great piece of software on your hands and you should try to get back some of the hard work you've put into it. I myself will be registering GSAK twice as I feel that the $30 is worth every darn penny!

Thanks again Clyde for such an AWESOME program and for all of the great support you provide for it! ^_^

I think something like TextPad would be more than fair. Free to use, but nags you occasionally to consider registering.

When you do an export to HTML that includes the notes that have pictures, does it dump out the pictures as well? This would be a SWEET way of adding topos, etc. to your PQs before heading out that you thought might help in your search.

I would like some suggests from this very talented audience of GSAK worshippers.

Do you use multiple databases?  if so, why?

<snip>

What I have noticed is that if I just keep loading new pocket queries my number grows and grows.  Turns out that the ones that archive or unavilable would never be flagged or removed in GSAK.  Therefore, I have to filter the not found and delete all those waypoints before I load up.

Thanks in advance,

ShaneP and the Geokids

I don't claim to be as talented as the rest of the audience, but I'll share a few thoughts anyway.

First, recognize that I'm giving the way I use the program. I'm not sure there's a good answer to whether you "should" use one db with many filters or several db's. Try something. If you like it, stay with it. Sometimes I try suggestions from other people and like them. Other times I like my method, but that doesn't make it any more right than anybody else's way of using the software.

I prefer to have all of my caches in one database -- it makes it easier to export for my map program and not forget something. I do use two databases, one for caches and one for benchmarks. If I ever get into locationless caching, I'll add a db for locationless, also.

I have several PQs defined, about 4 of which I use regularly. 1 for micros in my area, one for non-micros in my area (Nashville, Tennessee, USA has a high concentration of micros -- over 500 in less than 45 mile (75 km) radius!) I have another query for my found caches -- as long as I log my cache online, I know it will show up in GSAK eventually.

The fourth query I use regularly (once weekly) is for unavailable caches. When these are imported, GSAK tells me they are archived.

I also have queries set for the routes to my parents' and to my in-laws', but I only activate them when we're about to go on a trip. When I get home, I wait for my local gpx files, then filter based on date updated and delete the vacation caches.

If you really want to delete the caches that aren't updated in your PQ, try this use of the powerful filtering features of GSAK:

• When you open your gpx files, make sure that you have no caches flagged.
  • On the Open File dialog box, check "Set user flag if waypoint updated/added"
  • Once the files are loaded, Filter on User Flag NOT set. I would also uncheck Found for this purpose.
  • Once the filter is displayed, click the trash can icon (or Go to Waypoint | Delete
  • Check All waypoints in filter, then click OK.

If you see a non-flagged cache that you don't want to delete, you can always manually flag it before deleting the non-flagged caches.

There may be other (maybe even better) ways to do this, but that's the way I handle it, and works just fine for me. GSAK is filled with so many great features, it's hard to choose my "favorite," but the combination of power and ease-of-use for filtering is right up there in my book. The responsiveness of the developer in considering new features is another.

workin-4-cache

When you do an export to HTML that includes the notes that have pictures, does it dump out the pictures as well? This would be a SWEET way of adding topos, etc. to your PQs before heading out that you thought might help in your search.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by dump.

Yes, the URL is exported. So if the pictures were on your hard drive then you will still see them in the exported HTML

However, If the URL is an online one then GSAK will not dump the image to be used offline - you would still need to be online to view it.

I've only been a GSAK user for a couple of months, but even with my limited use I decided to send Clyde some $ for such a great program. :o I do have a question about the way travel bugs are represented in HTML. When I export to HTML, the travel bug icon that shows up in some caches seems to be a link, but doesn't go anywhere (it's just an anchor). I would think that it would link to the specific travel bug web page. I use Plucker to view the HTML output and I'd like to know a bug's mission by clicking on that link when I'm at the cache. Is there some setting I'm missing to do this?

Scott of Team GeoDillo

When I export to HTML, the travel bug icon that shows up in some caches seems to be a link, but doesn't go anywhere (it's just an anchor). I would think that it would link to the specific travel bug web page. I use Plucker to view the HTML output and I'd like to know a bug's mission by clicking on that link when I'm at the cache. Is there some setting I'm missing to do this?

Scott of Team GeoDillo

Good point. Currently the link is just takes you to the start of the travel bug names. As they are usually all on the same page anyway it really does nothing.

I will look at changing this in the next release to link back to GC.com

Also, as there can be more than one travel bug I will make the link at the bug name level rather than just the icon.

I'm not sure if my problem is with GSAK (V4.0) or the new version of Mapsource (6.3). I updated both recently.

<strike>

When I export to mapsource I am only getting the standard "Geocache" symbol for all my geocache waypoints dispite the fact that I've told it to use the Geocache Found symbol for my found caches and the skull and crossbones for archived (disabled) caches.

</strike>

Never Mind.... stupid user error. Why is it one always discovers the problem AFTER one posts the question? :blink:

although the following still happens

I'm also noticing that even though I've told GSAK that my Mapsourse version is 6, Mapsource insists that it's importing an old file and does a conversion.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko
Never Mind.... stupid user error.  Why is it one always discovers the problem AFTER one posts the question?  :blink:

Posting the solution would help the next user searching for an answer to the same question.

I'm also noticing that even though I've told GSAK that my Mapsourse version is 6, Mapsource insists that it's importing an old file and does a conversion.

Garmin changed the format in version 6 for their new GDB format. Garmin doesn't publish the file formats (booooo) , so it's up to motivated individuals to reverse engineer and implement it. Waypoints have been analyzed by Huga and a few others, but the track and route formats aren't yet well enough understood to implement them in GPSBabel. So rather that implementing a new format that's less functional for us, GPSBabel currently continues to top out at version 5 format.

I was once asked why I wasn't falling over myself to implement GDB for waypoints and then just issue errors if there were tracks or routes involved. The answer is that since Mapsource reads and writes the MPS files fine (albeit with an annoying warning) there's little to be gained in doing a partial release like that.

It also gives me an opportunity to sic more of Garmin's own customers on them to publish their file formats like their primary competitor does. Submit a request to Garmin and get them to release a document describing the GDB file format. Perhaps after a few hundred geocachers submit this request they'll get the picture...

Where do you put the smart tags?

For more information see the "using specail tags" section in the help file or view online here

The primary use of special tags is to build your custom waypoint code and/or waypoint description when using one of the export dialogs.

For example, the most common use is to have a waypoint code being the GSAK generated smart name and your waypoint description being the cache description and who placed the cache. For this example the waypoint code would contain "%smart" and the waypoint description would be "%name by %by"

Edited by ClydeE