Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

How come the GXabcd code does not show in my .gpx file in my ppc?

Tks

You post doesn't give me much information to go on so I will make the following assumption:

You have generated a GPX file from GSAK then are using this on your pocket PC with something like GPX View or GPX Sonar to view it, and the code is there but showing a smart name rather than the GCXXXX code.

When you generate a GPX file you can create whatever waypoint code you like with special tags (as you can with many of the other GSAK exports, like sending to your GPSr). If you want a GPX file that has the GCXXXX code then use the %code special tag in the waypoint name box.

Also, in the yellow box on GSAK it says I have 164 but if I double click it, only 163 are shown, what causes the one loss?

They should be the same. First take the menu option Database=>Repair/Defrag. If they are still different, Please zip up your database and send to me so I can see why this is not the case.

I have a theory;

Based on an above post, I downloaded a .gpx file for each of the locationless caches I have logged, but I have logged some locationless caches more than once. So the value in my yellow box is now 170 (after 3 downloads) but when I double click it I only get 166 listed, the 4 missing would be the multi-logged locationless, what do you think?

When I first read this I thought you were saying the yellow box changed from 170 to 166, but the yellow box always stays at 170 right?

That being the case, then yes, the actual number of caches shown will be less than your found count because of any find you have logged more than once.

any chance the placed date/updated date in a filter could be set to today -7 (or something similar) to get all caches placed/changed in the past week? I know a pq can do this but it would be nice if gsak would do this without me having to edit the filter definition each time. I don't think its possible to do this out of the box?

OK, probably operator error somewhere, but this operator can't find the error. I logged a find on geocahing.com, downloaded the .gpx, opened it into GSAK, I am then told taht it processed one but updated and added none. I have my used ID setup correctly as it finds other finds that I have logged. It just won't find the latest find and not founds.

OK, probably operator error somewhere, but this operator can't find the error. I logged a find on geocahing.com, downloaded the .gpx, opened it into GSAK, I am then told taht it processed one but updated and added none. I have my used ID setup correctly as it finds other finds that I have logged. It just won't find the latest find and not founds.

The date inside the GPX file may be older than your last updated date in GSAK.

Select the "always" (rather than newer) update option when you load the GPX file and see if that makes any difference.

any chance the placed date/updated date in a filter could be set to today -7 (or something similar) to get all caches placed/changed in the past week? I know a pq can do this but it would be nice if gsak would do this without me having to edit the filter definition each time. I don't think its possible to do this out of the box?

I will add this one to the list.

Well Clyde it's happened again. I lost many but not all of my corrected coordinates. I'm not sure what I'm doing when it happens, but it's starting to get old. :D

Thanks

Brian

Good news. I was finally able to duplicate this myself. The steps involved are obscure, but you will be happy to know it is not you but a bug. :P

I will have a fix out soon.

Well Clyde it's happened again. I lost many but not all of my corrected coordinates. I'm not sure what I'm doing when it happens, but it's starting to get old. :P

Thanks

Brian

Good news. I was finally able to duplicate this myself. The steps involved are obscure, but you will be happy to know it is not you but a bug. :D

I will have a fix out soon.

That's good news. :D Maybe I have been going through some obsure steps. :P

Thanks again for all you do

Brian

Clyde...

I know you have a long list of things to add to the next version of GSAK, but would you consider putting these 2 things somewhere in the time line?

1) when importing, a notification that a cache is temporarily archived which is user selectable like the un-archived notice

2) to save the GPX file location (folder) with each database, so when I switch from database A to database B, it knows to switch which folder it chooses GPX files from

Thanks for the "killer" app!

Clyde...

I know you have a long list of things to add to the next version of GSAK, but would you consider putting these 2 things somewhere in the time line?

1) when importing, a notification that a cache is temporarily archived which is user selectable like the un-archived notice

2) to save the GPX file location (folder) with each database, so when I switch from database A to database B, it knows to switch which folder it chooses GPX files from

Thanks for the "killer" app!

Consider these added to "the list"

Unfortunately you have missed the "cut off" for next the release (4.1, currently in the last stages of beta) but perhas the next one.

Also, 4.1 does contain a reasonable work around for item 1.

Some sort of bug?

After installing GSAK 4.0.2 the Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs list shows both GSAK 3.03 and 4.0.2 versions. If I try to remove the old version the Windows suggests to remove the new one (as in fact there is only one version installed, the other is just a some sort of a ghost trace I think)

This occurred on my both computers (HP Desktop and IBM laptop), both are running on Win 2000 ver. 5.0 SP4

Some sort of bug?

After installing GSAK 4.0.2 the Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs list shows both GSAK 3.03 and 4.0.2 versions. If I try to remove the old version the Windows suggests to remove the new one (as in fact there is only one version installed, the other is just a some sort of a ghost trace I think)

This occurred on my both computers (HP Desktop and IBM laptop), both are running on Win 2000 ver. 5.0 SP4

I have the same occur to me.

Both 3.05 and 4.02 are on the list.

But I have installed a lot of other versions before and inbetween.

No reinstallation of system either. Dell Optiplex, XP-Pro SP1.

It dosent bother me, but I guess it _could_ mess up something sometime.

Hopefully th HW have gotten a better life as Linux-Workstation before then :(

hbrx.

But I have installed a lot of other versions before and inbetween.

So have I, is it only this combination of versions that produces this phenomenom?

Actually it doesn't matter, it's easy to remove and re-install GSAK.

Edit:

I removed the ghost entry, not so straightforward task after all:

1. Remove either version, resulting the 3.03 ghost still exists in the Remove Programs list

2. Install version 3.03

3. Remove again -now the system is clean

4. Install the latest version

Data folder seems to be intact after this process but make a backup just in case.

Maybe there is an easier way but this is how I made it without tampering the Windows registry.

Edited by Erwast

OK, I'm starting to build up a library of some arc and polygon files. When I want to use them I just open them in notepad and cut and paste into GSAK. That's not a big deal. It would be preferable, however, to have a choice of either cutting and pasting, or open an arc, polygon file directly. I have been using .arc and .ply for the file extensions, as I don't know what the extension should be for those. Do you have any plans for something like this in the future?

--RuffRidr

OK, I'm starting to build up a library of some arc and polygon files. When I want to use them I just open them in notepad and cut and paste into GSAK. That's not a big deal. It would be preferable, however, to have a choice of either cutting and pasting, or open an arc, polygon file directly. I have been using .arc and .ply for the file extensions, as I don't know what the extension should be for those. Do you have any plans for something like this in the future?

--RuffRidr

This feature is already in GSAK. Just click on the "load from file" button.

Also note that a comma delimited file is not the only format supported - the file can be tab delimited, GPX, LOC, Street Atlas Route file, or a MapSend WPT file.

I've been following this thread since it's inception, but I missed the update from 4.0.1 to 4.0.2. I leave my PC on all the time, so today when I tried to run GSAK, it told me it was expired. I'm unemployed at the moment, but as soon as I get some spare money together, I'll register. Anyway, I downloaded the latest version, installed it, and all is well again.

This feature is already in GSAK. Just click on the "load from file" button.

Also note that a comma delimited file is not the only format supported - the file can be tab delimited, GPX, LOC, Street Atlas Route file, or a MapSend WPT file.

Oh geez! I can't believe I didn't see that there before. Now I feel like a huge dumba**! Thanks again for reading my mind well ahead of time ClydeE.

--RuffRidr

Clyde,

Just a quick question, in the filter "Arc, Line and Polygon" Load from file, any posibility of getting MapSourece Waypoints file as an input file format?

Thanks for the consideration.

Must be a slow week no posts to this topic for over 24 hrs. :)

Cache Well

Just a quick question, in the filter "Arc, Line and Polygon" Load from file, any posibility of getting MapSourece Waypoints file as an input file format?

No problems (an easy one for a change) :)

7e78e6fd-dc98-4425-a80a-9340ff1997bb.jpg THANKS

Cache Well

Edit: Changed image

Edited by LordSaw

No problems (an easy one for a change) :)

If you can easily allow a Mapsource file to be loaded into the Arc filter, can you also make it so that the File-Open menu will allow the selection of a Mapsource file? This would be useful for setting the user flag in GSAK for a set of waypoints that I select on the map in Mapsource. I can do it now (per your instructions) by converting the Mapsource file to a .LOC file and then opening the .LOC file in GSAK. Since GSAK can't convert the .mps file to a .LOC file, I have to use another program first to do that before using GSAK.

Thanks,

Rocket Man

I think I found a small bug, or at least I seem to remember that it didn't work this way before one of the recent upgrades.

1) Do a "code search" for a waypoint (or a group of waypoints)

2) Right click on a waypoint and set it as center

3) Select a saved filter (or create a new filter)

4) the result looses the most recent waypoint you set as the center point and defaults back to your home.

I think the concept of "center point" should be independent of any type of filtering. Certainly if I filter, then manually find a waypoint to define as center point, it keeps that. So it should also keep the center point you select just before a filter is applied. ...or am I doing something wrong? :blink:

I think I found a small bug, or at least I seem to remember that it didn't work this way before one of the recent upgrades.

1) Do a "code search" for a waypoint (or a group of waypoints)

2) Right click on a waypoint and set it as center

3) Select a saved filter (or create a new filter)

4) the result looses the most recent waypoint you set as the center point and defaults back to your home.

I think the concept of "center point" should be independent of any type of filtering. Certainly if I filter, then manually find a waypoint to define as center point, it keeps that. So it should also keep the center point you select just before a filter is applied. ...or am I doing something wrong? :blink:

This only happens if your saved filter has a bearing or distance item.

When you save a filter that has a distance or bearing, GSAK also saves the centre point. When you restore that filter the centre point is also restored.

No problems (an easy one for a change) :blink:

If you can easily allow a Mapsource file to be loaded into the Arc filter, can you also make it so that the File-Open menu will allow the selection of a Mapsource file? This would be useful for setting the user flag in GSAK for a set of waypoints that I select on the map in Mapsource. I can do it now (per your instructions) by converting the Mapsource file to a .LOC file and then opening the .LOC file in GSAK. Since GSAK can't convert the .mps file to a .LOC file, I have to use another program first to do that before using GSAK.

Thanks,

Rocket Man

This one is not so easy as it would then need to be integrated with the file and folder open options. However, I will add it to "the list".

okay, I have a question. I loaded my PQ into GSAK, exported it to my cachemate for my palm but is there a way to have the closest caches to each cache as I find one, I can see the next ones? It looks like you can do that in HTML but I can't find that option in the cachemate export. Did I just miss it?

Riddlers - I bounced over to the Cachemate documentation at http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/doc.php and then scrolled down to the section on "Nearest Caches" Search which is toward the bottom of the page. It explains how to do it. You need Mathlib installed if you don't have it on your unit already.

At the top of the page, step 3 in the install instructions indicates:

Add the MathLib.prc file as well, if you want to use the "nearest caches" and waypoint calculation features.

If you don't have it , download it at http://www.radiks.net/~rhuebner/mathlib.html where there's a ZIP link which includes mathlib.prc which needs to be hotsynced to your device.

Suddenly:

When exporting to our GPS does GSAK say in the new GPSBabel window:

[ERROR] PROTOCOL ERROR: Unknown tag/data [A/802]

[ERROR] PROTOCOL ERROR: Unknown tag/data [D/802]

Then it counts all the caches, but it is only a few that gets exported to the GPS.

I have tried with brand new PQs and a new GSAK database, but it doesn't help.

Suddenly:

When exporting to our GPS does GSAK say in the new GPSBabel window:

[ERROR] PROTOCOL ERROR: Unknown tag/data [A/802]

[ERROR] PROTOCOL ERROR: Unknown tag/data [D/802]

Then it counts all the caches, but it is only a few that gets exported to the GPS.

I have tried with brand new PQs and a new GSAK database, but it doesn't help.

GSAK uses GPSBabel "under the hood" to send waypoints to your GPSr, so those error messages are actually from GPSBabel. Did you update your firmware or GPSr recently?

First try downloading the latest Beta version of GPSBabel, and unzip to the install folder of GSAK. When you click on Help=>About the GPSBabel version should then show as 1.2.4_beta07242004

Download the latest beta version of GPSBabel.

If you still get the same error, then please repeat your post in the GPSBabel mail list giving information about your make and model of GPSr.

Edited by ClydeE

The beta version of GPSBabel cited shouldn't complain about these (still) undocumented protocol types. Even though it crowed and called it an error, in most cases it would Do The Right Thing anyway. But Clyde's advice is spot-on. For now, consider those two messages as a distraction, figure out what changed to make it "suddenly" change and then provide enough details (and perhaps a test case that's independent of GSAK) to the gpsbabel mailing list for us to pursue it there. If you're sure you haven't changed software on either the host or the GPS, then it's likely something in the data itself (a new cache, a change in the comments you're uploading, etc.) that's triggering naughtiness.

Just looking at your list of finds, I have a feeling this is going to come down to a character set problem, so be prepared to be asked for the input that GSAK is giving to GPSBabel and the full command line used.

Clyde when are you going to make it so we can save a database and be able to send it to another person so they can open it. Or can we do that now and I'm just clueless?

You could export as a GPX or LOC file and someone else would be able to import that file. If you choose GPX file, you also have the choice of saving your user notes and including the extra GSAK fields on export.

Very nice...try it!

Edited by Team GeoDillo
Clyde when are you going to make it so we can save a database and be able to send it to another person so they can open it. Or can we do that now and I'm just clueless?

The next version of GSAK provides some features in this area for you, but you can do it today by zipping up the subdirectory under the gsak\data directory that matches the database you are working on.

I read on the Delorme Forum that a user exported GPX waypoints from GSAK to SA 2005. He also set up an HTML export (which I don't really understand the workings of) so now when he clicks on the SA 2005 map waypoint, an HTML page comes up. How cool is that? How do you do it or is it an SA 2005 only option?

Here is where I read it: http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=1549

I would love this to be a one program operation but don't know how to do it. What I do is review the SA 2004 map with the waypoints on it, before I go out geocaching. When I want the specific waypoint data I jump over to GSAK and find the waypoing then display the data. Then jump back to SA 2004 and so on. Sure would be nice to have this by clicking a waypoint on my SA 2004 map.

Edited by wornout

Street Atlas Plus 2004 supported linky links from URLs. GPSBabel supports that as "saplus". I have no idea if SA plus-not 2005 does, but I recall hearing that 2004 plus-not didn't. (Delorme seems consistent that what's "plus" this year is in plus-not next year.)

If you think your Street Atlas supports that, try the "saplus" option in custom exports.

I'll confess that clickable linky links in a product from their competitor was one reason I really liked it for planning caching trips and became the inpsiration for http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net/formats/s_...Trips_2003.html

Greetings all,

I haven't been using GSAK long but I am a registered users and want to make the most of this software. I've read through the posts and hopefully have not overlooked the answer to my question.

I want to get an accurate count of finds in GSAK. I understand that GC.com does not send archived caches in the pocket queries. I believe I can find these in a regular on screen query then check them and download the .loc file. Is the only way for me to get my found caches that have been archived into GSAK?

Thanks in advance,

Edited by AdamInCA
I believe I can find these in a regular on screen query then check them and download the .loc file. Is the only way for me to get my found caches that have been archived into GSAK?

That will work (but select GPX, not LOC...more information for GSAK).

But you can also edit the "found" flag. (If that looks impossible, then it's in the next version. I can't remember if it's in the currently released version.)

As the prev poster mentions, you can't get archived caches, even ones you found, without individually visiting each cache page. Click the GPX link on the cache page, save it to your computer and drop it in GSAK. That's how I did mine.

Also, there's no way, if you wanted to, to have caches marked as Archived, so I sort on the Last Updated Date column in GSAK and look at those that haven't been updated recently and mark them as archived in GSAK if after visiting their cache page they are archived.

Im gonna ask a dumb question, and it may already be asked, but I didnt see it in the 7+ pages of replies...

When I d/l the waypoints from geocaching.com, I notice it doesnt put in the state...no biggie...i usually only d/l caches for the place im at anyway, and since you cant be in two places at once...well, you get the pic...

Anyway, my real question is why doesnt my GSAK d/l what type of cache it is? All my d/ls are coming up as mystery caches...

Also, why do my waypoints that I d/l all have the same "placed date", which is also the date I d/l them?

How do I d/l from my GPS to GSAK, i.e. caches I have already located?

thanks

sgt cache

Edited by sgt cache
When I d/l the waypoints from geocaching.com, I notice it doesnt put in the state.

Anyway, my real question is why doesnt my GSAK d/l what type of cache it is?  All my d/ls are coming up as mystery caches...

Also, why do my waypoints that I d/l all have the same "placed date", which is also the date I d/l them?

Geocaching.com downloads can be of two formats: .LOC (which are free) and .GPX (which only Premium Members can get). .LOC files have very limited information in them, for which GSAK just fills in default info. The .GPX files will correct all your missing information questions.

I don't have GSAK running in front of me right now, so I'll let someone else answer the GPS interface question, but it's a pretty simple process as long as your GPS connects via a serial cable, not USB.

In GSAK, select GPS, Receive waypoints. It's directly under Send waypoints, which you use to send them to your GPS.

I suggest you open a blank database before you do this, or you'll get duplicates. I have a separate database named GPS for holding waypoints from my GPS. This is my backup in case my GPS dies or goes AWOL. I have lots of stuff on there not at all related to geocaching, and I don't want to lose it. GSAK makes it easy to back up my waypoints.

Edited by NightPilot