Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

+ I really want the html files to use the %smart tag for naming...rather than the GCxxxx code. I use the smart tag to name waypoints on my GSPr. I tried using the %smart tag in options | html view ... but this only seems to name the local html view versus the filename.

I will look at adding this in a future release. The work around for now:

1. Export your required subset of caches to a GPX file, making sure to set the waypoint name to %smart

2. Load this generated GPX file into a new database

3. Now Generate the HTML from the new database

+ Do you have any recommendations for a pocket pc app that's particularly useful or good?

GPXSonar is fast becoming the defacto standard for the PPC and I think you will be impressed.

Thanks to everyone for their answers. Very useful. (In terms of the question of writing to my desktop ... I didn't realize that individual files would be written if the zip file option was selected; ie., only was expecting a single file.).

The various suggestions on work-arounds using the DB are very helpful.

Hal

Ok, this is more of an FYI about a minor irritant.

Mapsource 6.3

GSAK 4.02

When exporting a .MPS file, I have it set up to open MS right away. When i do, I get the message;

" The Document "xxx.mps" uses an old format. Mapsource will import the Document's contents into a new document using the current format."

I hit OK, and things are fine.

This happens no matter what version of MS I pick when exporting out of GSAK. 4, 5 or 6 all do it.

Since I don't think anyone has mentioned it, either I have something set wron or everybody just decided to live with it.

Clyde,

:o We all throw questions, problems and concerns at you right and left without any thought about the time and effort it takes to answer, research and sometimes fix a problem. I want you to know that we all appreciate the time you take to help us work with your creation, it's obviously a labor of love for you but even so we can be demanding sometimes.

I hope the sometimes rude and inconsiderate remarks we send are washed away by the knowledge that GSAK is a wonderful program and even if you were to make no more improvements, it is the best of its kind.

Thanks Clyde.

Ok, this is more of an FYI about a minor irritant.

Mapsource 6.3

GSAK 4.02

When exporting a .MPS file, I have it set up to open MS right away. When i do, I get the message;

" The Document "xxx.mps" uses an old format. Mapsource will import the Document's contents into a new document using the current format."

This happens no matter what version of MS I pick when exporting out of GSAK. 4, 5 or 6 all do it.

Since I don't think anyone has mentioned it, either I have something set wron or everybody just decided to live with it.

Yes, this has been asked before and you can help! Please see this post

Don't worry about it. It's just that the latest version of MapSource uses GDB files as the primary file format and pops up a warning when you open a MPS file. It opens it fine, we all get the same message and we all click ok.

First, I'd like to second the KaiserKlan praise for Clyde and all his efforts for creating, maintaining, supporting and enhancing such a valuable tool for our community. I don't know where I'd be without it - and if you haven't registered it yet - I would strongly urge you to do so. When thinking about the money I shell out for caching: New GPSr (or two :P), upgraded PDAs, ammo cans, log books, disposable cameras, gas money, new tires, signature items... the cost of registering this program, compared to the value it adds, was a no brainer.

Now for the question part of my post: I sure hope this doesn't turn out to be an RTFM issue, but I have a problem I can't seem to figure out...

In my "found" database, many (hundreds?) of the entries don't have a "Found by me" date. At first, I thought this might have been a result of the old, archived caches I had to import via .LOC files (before .GPX files were available for individual caches) -- and that made sense. However, I have since realized that this is not the case, and that this problem continues to grow. There are caches that I've found in the past week, still active, and returned by one of my "found" PQs - which, when imported, DO show my log entry... but no "found by me" date.

I started through the process of just manually editing in this data - until I realized the scope of the problem, and how long it would take me given my current, totally manual process. Plus, the potential for data entry error is huge...

While I've got your attention, I might as well describe my "goal" - as even once I solve the 'date found by me' issue, I've still got a little work to do.

Here's what I'd like: Some form of output (HTML, plain text, CSV file, GPX file... whatever) which represents my 'caching journal'. E.G. it would be a cronological list of my finds, with JUST my log entries. I guess a simpler way of saying it is something that approximates the look/functionality of "My Cache Page" at gc.com - but an "offline" (or even web-postable) version.

I thought about rolling my own MySQL database, with a PHP web-front end, and just transferring all the data - but that felt a lot like re-inventing the wheel, when I think Clyde (and Robert Lipe, et al) have already done all the heavy lifting (not to mention, I'm more of an infrastructure guy than a developer - I'd struggle with such an undertaking).

So - my apologies in advance if this is clearly covered in the documentation (it hasn't jumped out at me) or has already been discussed here or in another thread. Also, thanks in advance for any guidance or suggestions - on either or both issues.

Have a great evening,

Billy

Here's what I'd like: Some form of output (HTML, plain text, CSV file, GPX file... whatever) which represents my 'caching journal'. E.G. it would be a cronological list of my finds, with JUST my log entries. I guess a simpler way of saying it is something that approximates the look/functionality of "My Cache Page" at gc.com - but an "offline" (or even web-postable) version.

I think that it's a cool idea.

Only issue I can see at the moment is GSAK might not have your log entry for every cache since you can mark a find (such as many of us probably did for those we found before GSAK) and there is no log entry for our find that GSAK has stored for us.

But I think it would be GREAT to push a button and have a web page generated with my log entries, by date for each found cache. It would be possible if we filter on Found and then had an option to only print your log for each cache. I think the vast majority of the logic to do it is there... just not the printing (or exporting) of only your log entry.

But I think it would be GREAT to push a button and have a web page generated with my log entries, by date for each found cache. It would be possible if we filter on Found and then had an option to only print your log for each cache. I think the vast majority of the logic to do it is there... just not the printing (or exporting) of only your log entry.

Yes, this one does sound like a good idea and I will add to my "to do" list.

Not exactly what you want, but don't forget there is the "found by me" index when generating HTML now :P

In my "found" database, many (hundreds?) of the entries don't have a "Found by me" date. At first, I thought this might have been a result of the old, archived caches I had to import via .LOC files (before .GPX files were available for individual caches) -- and that made sense. However, I have since realized that this is not the case, and that this problem continues to grow. There are caches that I've found in the past week, still active, and returned by one of my "found" PQs - which, when imported, DO show my log entry... but no "found by me" date.

Yes, I admit this one needs more of a write up in the help and the up coming 4.1 release will address this. Basically, the problem is that GSAK is not matching you to your found logs (it uses the same logic as finding your placed caches). To fix this please see this post and also have a look at this help topic http://www.gsak.net/help/hs10900.htm

Edited by ClydeE

Newbie user question here. When I try to import this GPX file, I get a message stating that 15 waypoints were processed, but 0 added, and sure enough, I've got a blank screen (when using a new database). Am I doing something wrong, or is the file? No filters are selected.

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/hrcaches/hrcaches.gpx

Obviously, it's from this page: http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/hrcaches/

So far all I've tried importing is .loc files from here - this is the first .gpx.

Thanks!

Clyde -- you rule.

What's funny is that I was already using that option ("Use gc.com logon ID") - but I had entered my userID ("SnoWake") instead of my actual "owner ID" or "finder ID" (the numeric 'uid' (in UNIX terms ;-) that is what's wanted for this field.

So - I have no idea why it was working quite like it was, before particularly, with regard to finds, where the user doesn't have the option to "override" the name, like you do when you place a cache). Who CARES why it was working like it was (matching roughly 3/4 of the finds)...

Guess how many caches in my "found" database that don't have a "found by me" date, now??

Zero.

In the words of Kyle.... Kick a**!

Thanks, Clyde. I'll key an eye out to enhancements in the export options (glad to see someone else found some value in the idea, as well!) as time and priorities permit. In the meantime, I'm WAY closer, and can at least generate a simple, chronological output of my finds:

http://www.gotwake.com/caches/found/UserFound.htm

I could probably write a Perl script to omit all the log entries but mine - although it would take me longer than just waiting for Clyde to incorporate the functionality in release 6.3 :P

Thanks again - what a GREAT tool. Now if I could just automate some of the extraction of attachments from my email (I already sort them to a folder on my Linux server using Procmail) - I could wrap that with a little GSAK automation (some could be done locally on the Linux box with GPSBabel, but... I kind of need access to GSAK's databases - at least by my current thinking).

The ultimate goal would be an automated system which frees me of some of the (nearly daily) durgery of taking the day's 5 PQs, parsing them into the appropriate database, and generating a Mapsource file (for uploading waypoints into the GPSr), a CacheMate file (for sync to the Palm), a Streets and Trips file (for pretty pictures), and HTML (for the link above, or a personal "not found, closest to home" index "plucked" onto my Palm), and even back into GPX (for visualizing in ExpertGPS), etc. Granted, I've got the routine down pat - but it STILL takes awhile, and I'd love for it to just magically happen while I sleep (depending on when the daily batch of PQs arrive).

To get started towards that goal, I'm going to at LEAST "batch up" the part of the process that's easily accomplished with the GSAK automation commands. I'll let Clyde, and y'all, know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Billy

But I think it would be GREAT to push a button and have a web page generated with my log entries, by date for each found cache. It would be possible if we filter on Found and then had an option to only print

There's a way to do that with Rick's tools on http://geo.rkkda.com but I can't look up which one right now...

<reeling>

Wow. Where has THAT link been all my life?!?

I'm just getting started on the README - but this is amazing. You answered my next question before I even posted it!!

MANY thanks again - to ALL! I'll report back soon on progress...

Quick Update: I've set up a couple of simple batch files to automate the more routine bits of my processing of PQs and (some) exports within GSAK, as well as getting Rick Richardson's geo-* tools working with gpsbabel on my Linux server. Now if I can just automate the extraction of the GPX attachment from my email (or figure out how to make use of the geo-gpxmail command... I've updated my Procmail recipes to invoke it on PQs, but think I have to wait for tomorrow (the geo-demand command doesn't seem to do anything - presumably because I've already run my 5 PQs for the day?).

Anyway - this is all really, REALLY cool stuff.

Here's a couple things I noticed, RE: GSAK automation:

- Couldn't automate the export of a Mapsource file (for uploading waypoints into GPSr)

- I found that I had to quote the IMPORT filename, even if it didn't include spaces, or I was getting weird errors from GSAK. Now, my filenames DID have underscores in them - perhaps you have to quote ANY special characters?

This is going to save me some SERIOUS time!

Thanks again,

Billy

Edited by SnoWake

Count mismatch:

GSAK shows one find too much, actually I have 174 traditional caches found and if I set the filter to show only found trads there are 174 shown but the yellow count number is 175. Is there an easy way to find out which cache has a double log or whatever else might be wrong?

Count mismatch:

GSAK shows one find too much, actually I have 174 traditional caches found and if I set the filter to show only found trads there are 174 shown but the yellow count number is 175. Is there an easy way to find out which cache has a double log or whatever else might be wrong?

It could be you are having the same problem as Olar. Please read his post and the reply a little further down.

Edited by ClydeE
Newbie user question here. When I try to import this GPX file, I get a message stating that 15 waypoints were processed, but 0 added, and sure enough, I've got a blank screen (when using a new database). Am I doing something wrong, or is the file? No filters are selected.

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/hrcaches/hrcaches.gpx

yes, the problem is the GPX file. It has data elements that the "home spun" XML parser does not recognise. I have not seen this before, but will see If I can allow for this format in a future release.

Couldn't automate the export of a Mapsource file (for uploading waypoints into GPSr)

Now included in GSAK release 4.1

I found that I had to quote the IMPORT filename, even if it didn't include spaces, or I was getting weird errors from GSAK. Now, my filenames DID have underscores in them - perhaps you have to quote ANY special characters?

Thanks for picking that up. Yes, the parser is treating the underscore the same as a space so you would need to include the file name in double quotes. I will see if I can work around this, or at least add this information to the help file.

yes, the problem is the GPX file. It has data elements that the "home spun" XML parser does not recognise. I have not seen this before, but will see If I can allow for this format in a future release.

Thanks for the info, Clyde. I did notice by reading the GPX file in Notepad that it seems to have been generated by an older version of EasyGPS (I think it was generated in 2002).

Again, thanks.

Count mismatch:

It could be you are having the same problem as Olar. Please read his post and the reply a little further down.

Nope, it is not a question of username match, I have used the exact match, when I changed it to use user id the result was the same.

Some more filtering reduced my search on 6 archived caches and indeed there was one log entry that had somehow been duplicated.

Deleted this cache from GSAK and downloaded again, -problem solved B)

Thanks anyway.

Clyde,

I'm not sure how others do this but when I want to take a driving trip, lets say as follows;

1) North on I-29 out of Kansas City

2) West on I-80 from Omaha

3) North on I-25 through Wyoming

4) East on I-90 back to I-29

5) South on I-29 back to Kansas City

First I map a series of waypoints in something like MapSource that will box in the hi-ways in question, then using the polygon tool I create a filter to select just the caches along those corridors. Easy so far, the next step is to export from GSAK in MapSource format so I can visualize and print the maps, and to adjust the boundary waypoints if needed. Here in lies the issue, the points chosen to create the polygon are not represented in the exported data, unless I build the waypoints into GSAK which I don't really want to do. How much work would it take to add an option to the export function that includes the waypoints used to create the filter?

This is one of those all-in-one things I would like to do, so if its a big deal, I'll cut and paste the waypoints between two different MapSource apps running, which is what I do now.

Couldn't automate the export of a Mapsource file (for uploading waypoints into GPSr)

Now included in GSAK release 4.1

I found that I had to quote the IMPORT filename, even if it didn't include spaces, or I was getting weird errors from GSAK. Now, my filenames DID have underscores in them - perhaps you have to quote ANY special characters?

Thanks for picking that up. Yes, the parser is treating the underscore the same as a space so you would need to include the file name in double quotes. I will see if I can work around this, or at least add this information to the help file.

Clyde-

Glad to hear that feature will be included in an upcoming release (automating the export of a Mapsource file). On the topic of automation, I have one quick observation - although I'm quite certain it's entirely outside your control.

When exporting a CacheMate file, the Palm installer is invoked. When that pops (it's about in the middle of my script of MUCH processing, against two different databases), the whole process stalls until I click "Done". Just wondering if there's any switch or parameter that can be passed to the Install Tool to suppression this required interaction?

On the topic of underscores: I don't have a problem with needing to quote them (e.g. I don't think you need to "deal with it") - but perhaps just a couple extra words in the relevant help page, to read something like:

"You only need to surround these parameters in double quotes if they contain spaces or other special characters."

It only took me two runs to figure it out - and with all your (space-containing) examples being quoted, trying that was an obvious first tactic.

Thanks again for all you efforts, in front of AND behind-the-scenes!!

BTW: Just upgraded to 4.0.2 (your response sent me looking for 4.1! :ph34r: ) and see that I was missing a couple of important fixes that followed the 4.0.0 release I was running.

Getting closer by the minute to fully-automated e-caching!

Thanks again to all,

Billy

Glad to hear that feature will be included in an upcoming release (automating the export of a Mapsource file). On the topic of automation, I have one quick observation - although I'm quite certain it's entirely outside your control.

When exporting a CacheMate file, the Palm installer is invoked. When that pops (it's about in the middle of my script of MUCH processing, against two different databases), the whole process stalls until I click "Done". Just wondering if there's any switch or parameter that can be passed to the Install Tool to suppression this required interaction?

The dialogs that GSAK pop up I can control, but ones by other applications are another story. Not sure if there is a switch or setting in the palm installer to disable this message (I don't own a palm), but that would be your best avenue to persue at the moment.

BTW: Just upgraded to 4.0.2 (your response sent me looking for 4.1!  ) and see that I was missing a couple of important fixes that followed the 4.0.0 release I was running.

Yea, sorry about the tease on 4.1 - but it is in the works :ph34r:

Edited by ClydeE

SnoWake, do you really need to install the file via the Install tool? I send my files directly to the card which is in the card reader, or else to a folder on the hard drive, and transfer later via the card reader. Installing things via hotsync isn't something I ever do willingly. In fact, the only reason I usually hotsync is to set the time on my Palm. You can set the Cachemate export to not queue the file for hotsync.

Another smart-tag request;

UTM zone, easting and northing.

Very handy for Custom URLs, as the best online mapping services in Norway

use UTM in their URLs.

Well, I see a problem as since mapmakers (online) in Norway, use 33V all over the country, even if the 'official' zone is something different.

So I guess what I am really asking for is a %utm-x-n and %utm-x-e, where x ise the zone you want to convert to.

Guess this wont come to the top of the list very soon :ph34r:

hbrx.

-still want the waypointnameconversiontable...

So I guess what I am really asking for is a %utm-x-n and %utm-x-e, where x ise the zone you want to convert to.

I am not sure what you mean by this conversion. Could you please explain futher and include examples.

still want the waypointnameconversiontable...

But this has been effectively implemented with the smart name field override in the database - or do you mean something different?

:ph34r: All the previous talk about counts matching got me to looking at my found count, which on GSAK says 164 but on gc.com it says a whole lot more. Could you tell me which categories GSAK counts for its totals? Also, in the yellow box on GSAK it says I have 164 but if I double click it, only 163 are shown, what causes the one loss?
:P All the previous talk about counts matching got me to looking at my found count, which on GSAK says 164 but on gc.com it says a whole lot more. Could you tell me which categories GSAK counts for its totals? Also, in the yellow box on GSAK it says I have 164 but if I double click it, only 163 are shown, what causes the one loss?

The most common source of your count being lower than that of geocaching.com is archived caches. Currently (though many have asked this to be changed), you cannot get archived caches in a pocket query. That means if you have found a cache, and it subsequently gets archived, you will not get it in any of your PQs. If you don't get the cache into your database then GSAK can't count it as a found.

Also, in the yellow box on GSAK it says I have 164 but if I double click it, only 163 are shown, what causes the one loss?

They should be the same. First take the menu option Database=>Repair/Defrag. If they are still different, Please zip up your database and send to me so I can see why this is not the case.

Edited last part about found count

Edited by ClydeE

I have 4.0.2 build 10. I can't get it to accept my home coordinates as valid. I get an error that says "invalid latitude degrees" or sometimes and error saying "invalid latitude and longitude degrees". I know my coordinates are OK, so I am screwing somethig up somewhere else. Help?

I have 4.0.2 build 10. I can't get it to accept my home coordinates as valid. I get an error that says "invalid latitude degrees" or sometimes and error saying "invalid latitude and longitude degrees". I know my coordinates are OK, so I am screwing somethig up somewhere else. Help?

For the formats supported when entering locations please see this help topic http://www.gsak.net/help/hs11300.htm

If you still can't work out why your coordinates are being rejected, then contact me by email (Help=>About) sending a screen shot of what you are entering here.

You're going to have to give examples of what you tried, before we can say what's wrong - or what you need to do. Just remember if you use decimal degrees you use the - for south/west; if you use degree decimal minute use the n/s e/w form.

All the previous talk about counts matching got me to looking at my found count, which on GSAK says 164 but on gc.com it says a whole lot more.

As Clyde mentioned just above, archived caches don't come down in PQs so even if you found it, you need to bring them down manually. Go to http://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1 and then click on the "Found it" link to show just found caches. This USED to be easier then it is now because caches that were archived had a line going through them, making it easier to identify. Now since they don't (bug?) you need to compare the caches listed on this page to those listed in GSAK as found. If there's one on the gc.com site that isn't listed, it's probably archived, so click the link to the cache page and download the individual cache GPX file and drop that in GSAK. It should then up your count by 1. Go back to the list, find the next one, etc.

Also, I don't recall if any locationless caches come down in PQs, so check those out too if you've logged any. If they don't, drop their individual GPX files off the cache page into GSAK.

David

Edited by Team DEMP
Tip: I would prefer in GSAK opened cache pages in a BRAND NEW window. Now it kidnapes one of the ones already opened on the computer.

Some of it depends on your browser. I'm using Maxthon which is a "wrapper" around the IE engine and it opens each page in a new tab. I'm not sure how the other browsers handle it.

Even if it was possible, I think that it ought to be an option since others might not want to have to keep closing a window in order for it to not open 10 after 10 clicks.

Tip: I would prefer in GSAK opened cache pages in a BRAND NEW window. Now it kidnapes one of the ones already opened on the computer.

This is a browser dependant setting.

If you are using Internet Explorer, Tools=>Internet Options=>Advanced

Now scroll down and uncheck the box "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts"

Clyde,

Prior to becoming a registered user of both GSAK, I used the search and download facilities of GCUK to produce .mxf (Navtech) files for displaying caches on Memory-Map. I now use your excellent programme to do this (along with stuffing the waypoints into my 2 Garmins and Palm via Cachemate).

However, I note that the opposition have one trick up their sleeve that GSAK does not appear to have; GCUK downloads automatically displayed "found" caches as a dot and "not found" ones as a flag. All the waypoints I export into Memory-Map appear as flags.

Currently, I do use the %found smart tag facility but the GCUK solution is far more elegant and user-friendly. While the smart tag is much more versatile, I do miss the calarity of simple dots and flags on the map.

...any chance of incorporating this into the GSAK .mxf export?

Clyde,

Prior to becoming a registered user of both GSAK, I used the search and download facilities of GCUK to produce .mxf (Navtech) files for displaying caches on Memory-Map. I now use your excellent programme to do this (along with stuffing the waypoints into my 2 Garmins and Palm via Cachemate).

However, I note that the opposition have one trick up their sleeve that GSAK does not appear to have; GCUK downloads automatically displayed "found" caches as a dot and "not found" ones as a flag. All the waypoints I export into Memory-Map appear as flags.

Currently, I do use the %found smart tag facility but the GCUK solution is far more elegant and user-friendly. While the smart tag is much more versatile, I do miss the calarity of simple dots and flags on the map.

...any chance of incorporating this into the GSAK .mxf export?

I will add this one to my "to do" list :blink:

I am trying to figure out how to be able to print all the cache in the gsak with a description on it. I have not been able to find out how to do this. Whenever I bring up the print preview page it never shows the description in it no matter what I try. Can you please help me with figuring this out. thank

I am trying to figure out how to be able to print all the cache in the gsak with a description on it. I have not been able to find out how to do this. Whenever I bring up the print preview page it never shows the description in it no matter what I try. Can you please help me with figuring this out. thank

Have you tried the "Condensed HTML" format option in the print dialog?

Have you seen this thread?

Roolku

I tried the condensed html and it did nothing.  I am just trying to find a easy way to be able to print out the decription and the additional hints with the gsak.  Without going and printing out each one online.

Are you sure it printed absolutely nothing?

I suspect you are using LOC files as your source of data for GSAK then expecting GSAK to print the full description, hints, and logs.

Please see items 2 and 10 of the GSAK FAQ at http://www.gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm

Edited by ClydeE

Also, in the yellow box on GSAK it says I have 164 but if I double click it, only 163 are shown, what causes the one loss?

They should be the same. First take the menu option Database=>Repair/Defrag. If they are still different, Please zip up your database and send to me so I can see why this is not the case.

I have a theory;

Based on an above post, I downloaded a .gpx file for each of the locationless caches I have logged, but I have logged some locationless caches more than once. So the value in my yellow box is now 170 (after 3 downloads) but when I double click it I only get 166 listed, the 4 missing would be the multi-logged locationless, what do you think?

I have a theory;

Based on an above post, I downloaded a .gpx file for each of the locationless caches I have logged, but I have logged some locationless caches more than once. So the value in my yellow box is now 170 (after 3 downloads) but when I double click it I only get 166 listed, the 4 missing would be the multi-logged locationless, what do you think?

No, the totals shold still be the same.

Please send me your database so I can interrogate and track down the problem.