Gps60cs Locking Up Problem?

ZDR

Hi all,

I have a 7 day old GPS60CS that has locked up on me 5X in the last 2 days. The unit just freezes and does not respond to any of the buttons. If I power it off, the screen display just slowly fades away. I have not been able to correlate the lock-ups to any particular act or sequence of inputs. Tonight, it happened while it was acquiring satellites in my backyard and a second time while on the map page.

The only thing I thought maybe causing it was the batteries were down to the last bar on the indicator. I replaced them, so will see if that changes anything in the next few days

The SW version is 3.40

My only other GPS experience is with a II+ that never had a hiccup of any kind.

Has this been noted before about a 60CS? I could not find anything in the archives that mentioned it.

any thoughts or recommendations?

thanks!

Hmmm.... dunno. My 60CS has been working just great for a few months now.

Only problem that has cropped up is that with the temps being 103+ daily right now, my 60CS is having trouble getting to the caches. BECAUSE I AIN'T CACHING IN THIS HEAT!!! :blink:

But otherwise I have been totally happy with it and would buy a second one in a moment.

when initially calculating a route the 60's can appear to lock up when in fact they are deep in calculation... i have seen this last for almost ten seconds. long cross-continent journeys can result in a lot of calculations/"what-ifs" by the unit in determining a fastest or quickest route.

Well, I replaced the batteries and tried it again tonight and it locked up twice. I waited at least 3 - 4 minutes before I tried anything on one of them. I am going to send an email to Garmin TS to see what they have to say.

In the mean time, I tried resetting every screen back to the defaults thinking that maybe I had something goofed up in the setup.

I really like this unit. Just getting frustrated that this is happening.

thanks!

the last 2 days. The unit just freezes and does not respond to any of the buttons. If I power it off, the screen display just slowly fades away.

Does it fades away after you turn it off using button or you just take off batteries ?

I had my notebook display fading away few times, it happens when display controller for different reason stops updaiting it. I am not it the case here.

have you tried reloading v3.40 of the firmware? maybe stay away from the beta if that is what you have loaded. if you're running 3.40 then try running the beta...

It is currently running 3.40. I just sent a message to Garmin TS and checked the SW update page. THey now have a 3.43 beta version running but thought I would wait to hear back from Garmin first.... are they fairly responsive in replying?

Does it fades away after you turn it off using button or you just take off batteries ?

It powers off using the power button. I have to hold it down for a few though.

thanks

Garmin TS emailed me back today and recommended a 'master reset.'

I'm thinking of trying that and then update the SW to 3.43 regardless if the reset fixes the problem.

thanks

And if doesn't help and you sending it to Garmin for repair don't forget to ask

for free stuff (T-shirts, accesories, ...) :o

Edited by vr12

I've had my 60C since early February. The problem I had was that it would shut off all by itself. That hasn't happened in a while, but then I haven't been using it as much as I did when I first got it - but I still use it enough.

I just took it on a road trip to NC - about a 225 mile trip. It froze on me twice in a row. The second time was immediately after turning it back on after the first time! I thought, "Oh no - I've heard of this happening to other people..."

I had to take the batteries out and put 'em back in both times to get it back up and running.

It hasn't happened since, and I put it through its paces the whole way back home.

I will say that the batteries were dangerously low on juice at the time, and I replaced them the first chance I got, but I still continued using it after the 2nd freeze and it never froze again afterward.

I'm thinking of trying that and then update the SW to 3.43 regardless if the reset fixes the problem.

thanks

I had to do that to mine as well. I have not had a problem since.

How do you do a master reset?

I have a 76CS running 3.42 and still have lock-up problems on the day-view of the calender (something that's supposed to have been fixed according to their update notes).

thanks

I had to do that to mine as well. I have not had a problem since.

How do you do a master reset?

I have a 76CS running 3.42 and still have lock-up problems on the day-view of the calender (something that's supposed to have been fixed according to their update notes).

From Garmin;

Master Reset

Warning: The Master Reset sequence will delete all routes, user waypoints, and tracks from memory.

View the software version by completing the following steps:

Press the Menu key twice to access the Main Menu.

Select System Info, and press enter.

The software version will be displayed on screen.

For Software Versions 2.05 and above:

With power off, press and hold QUIT, MENU, and ROCKER DOWN.

Press and release POWER.

Release ROCKER DOWN.

Release QUIT and MENU after 5-10 seconds when the welcome page is displayed.

Memory is now clear.

Place the unit outside with a clear view of the sky until satellites are acquired. (The unit will display "3D GPS Location.")

Edited by Keykeeper