How Can I Download All Caches By State?

Milbank

No, there's no fast way. You can download 500 caches per PQ so you'd have to create PQ's that minimumally overlap each other yet cover the state. If it comes to more then 5 PQs, you'd have to run it over multiple days as there's a 5 PQ limit per 24 hours.

There are only 298 caches in South Dakota, so 1 PQ should work.

That's what I was looking to do. ;)

But now I have "Total Records: 298 - Page: 1 of 15"

I wish I could check all 298 to download at once, but I can only check and download one page at a time.

Can I change how many geocaches show up on one page?

I guess I can just save 15 different easygps files and load each one into the gps.

Thanks,

You are a premium member so you would use Pocket Queries (PQs) to do what you're asking. Go to http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/ and click on Create a New Query, give it a name, select today's day, then select the State radio button and your state in the scrolling list, set the radius to 999 miles (I think it allows that). I assume you want a GPX file which contains a lot more info then a LOC file, but if not, change the drop-down list to show LOC and then click thr Submit information button.

It will save your query (and run it every Mon if you don't then uncheck it) and email you a GPX file (zipped) with all the info for your state.

You can become a premium member and get pocket queries, and it covers the entire state (thats what I do) or what ever you search criteria may be. Or you can do what you have been doing by downloading each page, and open each of those in easyGPS and send each page to the GPSr (I use to do that, but pocket queries are allot easier).

So did you quit using you Meridian Gold, and now only use the Etrex?

Wyatt W.

No, there's no fast way. You can download 500 caches per PQ so you'd have to create PQ's that minimumally overlap each other yet cover the state. If it comes to more then 5 PQs, you'd have to run it over multiple days as there's a 5 PQ limit per 24 hours.

Trying to do split up a state by location isn't the best way to go. It's better to do it by cache placement date ranges. You'll have to play around with it to get date ranges with as close to 500 caches as possible, but with the preview feature, it's not hard. Using dates instead of locations, you don't have to worry about overlaps or gaps.

Trying to do split up a state by location isn't the best way to go. It's better to do it by cache placement date ranges. You'll have to play around with it to get date ranges with as close to 500 caches as possible, but with the preview feature, it's not hard. Using dates instead of locations, you don't have to worry about overlaps or gaps.

Excellent way of accomplishing the request!!

So did you quit using you Meridian Gold, and now only use the Etrex?

Yep, had some problems with the Gold.

Told all about it in another post.

Probly just the unit I had, but took it back and got the Legend.

I kind of missed the Legend.

My son really missed the Legend.

We found are first caches with the Legend and you should have seen him when he seen his old friend Legend again. <_<

Back on topic, I got it.

thanks for all the help,

It's a bad sign, but I've been thinking (no comments please). Seems to me that if a few cachers got together and shared their pocket queries (the .gpx files) then a couple of things would happen:

1. The Pocket Query server would be less burdened doing the "nearly same" download generation for several cachers.

2. Each cacher would get the benefit of a bunch more pocket queries.

We could handle this a couple of ways:

a. Have somebody with a little bit of skill that would take all the PQ and combine them into a Sate (or Regional) file on a daily/weekly basis and ship the results out to everybody.

b. Everybody ship their PQ (some could have auto forward turned on) files to everybody else. But everybody would have to do the combination on their own.

It's a bad sign, but I've been thinking (no comments please). Seems to me that if a few cachers got together and shared their pocket queries (the .gpx files) then a couple of things would happen:

1. The Pocket Query server would be less burdened doing the "nearly same" download generation for several cachers.

2. Each cacher would get the benefit of a bunch more pocket queries.

We could handle this a couple of ways:

a. Have somebody with a little bit of skill that would take all the PQ and combine them into a Sate (or Regional) file on a daily/weekly basis and ship the results out to everybody.

b. Everybody ship their PQ (some could have auto forward turned on) files to everybody else. But everybody would have to do the combination on their own.

IANAL - but I'm not sure that would be allowed under the license agreement.