Garmin Update Advice

I am trying to upload an update to my vista which I just downloaded from the garmin website. My cable connects to a serial port. My computer doesn;t have one so I purchased a convertor cable which connects serial to USB. When I run the update program it asks me to select a com port which my unit is attached to but it can't find it anywhere?!? could someone advise me, I am lost! Cheers, Dan.

I can do transfers to/from MapSource using my Serial to USB adapter, but I cannot update the firmware on the unit using the USB adapter. I need to directly connect the serial port from the unit to the serial port on my notebook's docking station in order to get it to work.

Maybe the same thing is occurring with you - USB works for communications with MapSource but not a firmware update?

Maybe the same thing is occurring with you - USB works for communications with MapSource but not a firmware update?

I've had no problems with a usb-serial adaptor and firmware updates. You can find out what com port the usb adaptor is on in device manager, if you're using win2k or XP. If you can't see it drop me a mail.

I think the problem i'm having is that the computer doesnt seem to know it has a serial - usb convertor attached, every time I plug it in now it asks me to install new hardware, and when I click ok it fails to find anything and says it couldn't install. I'm guessing if that worked then the rest would be a doddle... hmmm

I've run into this little problems several times on my laptop when I've plugged other USB devices into one of the 4 ports available.

The quickest way I've found to resolve this is to run one of Garmin's Mapsource programmes and use the auto-detect function to determine what comms port is today's choice! Once it finds where the GPS is hiding today, note the comms port number.

Then you can go back to Updater, Memory-Map or GSAK, whatever and plug in the answer from the Garmin programme - and Bingo!