Pocket Pc With Gps

I wanted to see if anyone out there is using a pocket PC "compaq iqap" "dell x3, x5" or "viewsonic" with a GPS flash card or I know the navman works with the compaq. But I just wanted to get some input to see if anyone is using there PDA as their GPS as well and see how they like it...thanks

I'm using an Axim X5 with CF GPS. In the car, it's unbeatable. For hiking, not the best solution but works.

I have the same PDA and a CF GPS as well. I agree, great in car, but not the best outdoors. I alway use a GPS handheld (MeriGold or eTrex) when outside. I don't like the PDA outside mainly due to the lack of environmental and impact resistance. I am not sure if any of the models you listed have a CF slot. If I upgraded to a Dell x30 (or other PDA without CF) I would probably get a bluetooth GPS for using the PDA in car.

I have a Compaq Ipaq 3955, and a Navman sleeve. I found I don't like to use it for navigation (either car, or specially outdoors), and much prefer a dedicated unit. To me trying to touch the touch screen while the car is bumping around is just too hard, and out doors the unit is unprotected (or becomes too balky when protected)

But the nice part of the PDA is storage (more handy for all units that are not a Meridian-saves all data to SD card internally) of data from the GPSr (need a cable), or for pocket queries.

Wyatt W.

I use my iPaq 2215 exclusively for car navigation with Mapoplis program. I have a Fortuna Pocket Xtrack GPS that slips into the CF slot.

SInce I take it with me in the woods for paperless caching, I sometimes use the high sensitive setting on the Fortuna where my Vista doesn't pick up signals in heavy foliage. But it's not the best idea to be carrying it out in the open unprotected although once I fell over a log and came crashing down on the iPaq screen with the palm of my hand. I thought it was a goner for sure. But no damage. Lucky - this time.

Alan

Although I use a Viewsonic V36 for paperless caching, I don't use an external GPS attached to it. My Mag 330 works just fine for that purpose. Plus, I'm not worried about dropping it. Although my sister-in-law doesn't cache, she does use a Pharos CF GPS in her 2-3 year old Dell Axim x5 for directions in her car. She swears by it. I don't know the mapping software that came with the Pharos though.

The top Pocket PC navigation solutions are Routis, Pocketmap Navigator, TomTom, Destinator and Mapopolis. Mapopolis seems to be quite popular among cachers but in comparison with the other programs it has a poor user interface in and ugly, although fast, graphics. TomTom is great but the most expensive. Destinator is OK with a few weaknesses. Pocketmap is great, with some minor bugs, but uses TeleAtlas maps which tend to be inaccurate in some areas. All in all, Routis might be the best choice but it really depends on one's personal preferences. There is no absolute best, each program has a lot of happy users. Mapopolis and Pocketmap Navigator have the advantage that they can show you the locations of caches after using free utilities (the one for Pocketmap written by myself) to import them.

I have an Axim x5, and use a Deluo CF card GPS receiver running Routis in the car. Supurb. Geocaching, however, I found best solution is to use an armored

'Otter-Box" brand PDA case. Totally waterproof and shockproof. Has an inset heavy membrane over the PDA face to allow full use in box. Unbelievable outdoor protection. Because my Deluo CF was too big for Otter-Box, I use a Bluetooth module, totally secured in box. Links to my Furtuna Bluetooth GPS receiver. WOW!

Run both Vito Tech NavigatorII for searching waypoints, and MobiPocket to view my pocket inquiries from geocaching.com .

I use GSAK to convert the pocket inquiry .gpx files and combine with National Geographic TOPO! files which I print and keep in a binder. I haven't figured out how to save the merged Topo! files with waypoints to the Axim PPC for combined viewable map. I would like to be able to find a PPC solution to run a program which acts like Garmin of Magellan to post my GPS position on the NG TOPO! map, with pocket inquiry waypoints marked, and other useful GPR dasbboard features. Does anyone know how to make that work?

The PDA/GPS combination is the only way to go for road navigation in my opinion. You can easily get the latest and greatest in maps, fast efficient routing, and if you already have a pocket PC that will take a CF or SD GPS unit you'll find you can have a great GPS setup for under $250 to include GPS reciever with external antenna, mapping software with voice, and a good mounting bracket for Vehicle use and of course a cigarette lighter adapter. (PDA price not included of course)

My own setup is to use an axim x5 with globalsat BC307 compact flash unit and mapopolis software while in the vehicle. When it's time to get out of the car however, the Pocket PC goes into the pack for paperless caching, or stays in the vehicle if it's an area where I think it might get damaged. I take the eTrex for the handheld stuff. While the Vista C, 60 etc do okay for road navigation, I find I like the Pocket PC system considerably better.

I use a Ipaq 2210 together with TT3 and OziExplorerCE.

Rikaline 6030 Bluetooth GPS in the pocket, so no cables at all.

Also used GPStuner (scan your own maps and load them as GIF, then calibrate and you're done: even the demo does it all!)

Works fine, although very delicate 'in the field'.

Edited by RHGS