Took A Wrong Turn In Dante's Divine Comedy

EraSeek

After missing out on the Malawka(sp) hike, I decided to do Mt Pillchuck the next day and plant a cache there. Why do I call it Purgatory? Well because Puratory is a mountain in Dante's Divine Comedy. As you pass along up the mountain there are various classes of sin to pay for and be cleansed of. It is a place of pain and suffering, but also cleansing. At the summit of Purgtory is the earthly paradise and also divine revelation. All this is much like climbing a mountain. Pain, sufferng, stuggle to reach a kind of divine revelation at the summit. The best of spots.

However, I disregarded the guide's words: "Let no step of thine receed"

Receeding is returning toward Hell. Well, coming down off the main ridge I rolled my foot and heard a snap, and twisted my other knee while falling. Turns out I broke the right foot and my have torn the miniscus in my left knee. I had no choice but to hike the 2 miles out across a rough trail using and old burnt stick for a crutch. I now have a cast and am out of commision for 6 weeks.

OK, I'm ready to accept all the sympathy now....;)

EraSeek I had a grimness on my face and felt your pain as read your post. I’ve often wondered what would happen to me if I hurt myself while out hiking alone! I don’t think I would have been as brave as you in the same situation.

Sympathy:

Ahhh…pour ES

Dern I bet that hurt I feel so sorry for your.

What a horrible mishap, are you sure your ok?

Need a scoop of ice-cream to make it all better?

How was that for some sympathy?

Pepper

Ouch!!! Sorry to hear that EraSeek. Six weeks in a cast huh?

(Angel in me "Ahh... wonder if there is anything we can do to cheer EraSeek up?")

(Devil in me "Muahahahaha... first K7's GPS flips out... now EraSeek is out of commission. Yes!!! My master plan is working... one by one all of the local competition to be FTF will be wiped away!!! ;) )

After missing out on the Malawka(sp) hike, I decided to do Mt Pillchuck the next day and plant a cache there. Why do I call it Purgatory? Well because Puratory is a mountain in Dante's Divine Comedy. As you pass along up the mountain there are various classes of sin to pay for and be cleansed of. It is a place of pain and suffering, but also cleansing. At the summit of Purgtory is the earthly paradise and also divine revelation. All this is much like climbing a mountain. Pain, sufferng, stuggle to reach a kind of divine revelation at the summit. The best of spots.

Receeding is returning toward Hell. Well, coming down off the main ridge I rolled my foot and heard a snap, and twisted my other knee while falling. Turns out I broke the right foot and my have torn the miniscus in my left knee. I had no choice but to hike the 2 miles out across a rough trail using and old burnt stick for a crutch. I now have a cast and am out of commision for 6 weeks.

OK, I'm ready to accept all the sympathy now....:P

OUCH!

I hyperextended my knee about this time last year while climbing on some rocks at a cache, but I only had a 1/4 mile of fairly flat limping to do to get back to my truck and drove myself to the emergency room. While it ruined a good weeks vacation I had planned, it was nothing like your ordeal.

I'm afraid that if I found myself in your situation there would have been a helicopter hauling my sorry butt off the mountain. ;)

I hope it heals fast and you are not out of commision too long.

Sympathy:

Ahhh…pour ES

Dern I bet that hurt I feel so sorry for your.

What a horrible mishap, are you sure your ok?

Need a scoop of ice-cream to make it all better?

How was that for some sympathy?

Pepper

Hey thanks all! God, I love sympathy. Never get any at home you know.

All Joking aside, I feel fine. Just hard to drive and hard to walk, and I'm sure I'll really miss getting out.

On the other hand, I'll have a lot of free time to get back up to Camp Muir.

Ouch!!! Sorry to hear that EraSeek. Six weeks in a cast huh?

(Angel in me "Ahh... wonder if there is anything we can do to cheer EraSeek up?")

(Devil in me "Muahahahaha... first K7's GPS flips out... now EraSeek is out of commission. Yes!!! My master plan is working... one by one all of the local competition to be FTF will be wiped away!!! ;) )

Heck. Everybody else has already caught me, why not you. :P

Sorry to hear about that man! You are one tough character to hike out in that condition, but I do know that andrenaline can help you there.

I had ot hike out 8 miles with a severely bruised and swollen foot after a rock roughly 2/3 of a basketball hit it just before the summit of TAble mountian in hte Columbia River gorge. This was years ago before caching. it scares me to think what if the rock hit hte knee instead.

Ouch, that must hurt! And that right in the middle of the hiking season!

Sometimes I'm amazed to see what human beings are capable of doing, but we shouldn't forget how fragile we are, either.

Are they at least giving you time off from work now?

Grab the chance to do some kayak caches, keep enjoying life, and be well!

Yes, I'll be on sick leave for six weeks. I just went to the bookstore, this is going to be tougher than I thought. Think I'll look into crutches.

Mt. Pillchuck is a fairly popular hike. On a Sunday you'll see a lot of families up there. But late in the day S&R goes up to make sure they all made it down. I ran into the S&R guy just as I was reaching the parking lot. The hike is not long but is rough shod much of the way and can be quite spectacular. Great views and and awesome looking place. There is a restored fire lookout on the top which is open to the public (no longer used for fires). There is also a benchmark under the west side and a reference marker a bit further west on a rock.

Pilchuck can also be as tough as you wish. Lost of opportunities for that. I've repelled down the cliff before (that's before I had any sense).

I've felt your pain. Tore my ACL skiing once, had to ski 4 more runs. Okay I didn't have to ski 4 more runs but I fell on the 2nd run of the day and you can't quit after only two runs.

If it makes you feel any better we did two of your caches Sunday. Skagit Wings to start our Whidbey Island cache run and we finished up with a re-do of Ebey Bluff's at sunset for CarleenP. It was spectacular and we were thinking fondly of you all day.

ebey2.jpg

*edited to add picture from Ebey Bluffs hike*

Edited by Wander Lost

Hey, man, I feel for you. I really do. I can't reach you, but I do feel for you. ;):P

Seriously, I do wish you a speedy recovery. Take really good care, the legs, as weight bearing limbs, can be the trickiest to heal.

Your "...with a sigh" was my first cache. Maybe I'll have head up to that new one, if nothing else to revisit the area where I first learned to ski, oh so many years ago.

:o So sorry to hear this EraSeek. Chloe the (however you want to spell it! ;)) has a little song for you....

I ain't nothin but a hot dog, cryin all the time, :D:P:)

I ain't nothin but a hot dog, cryin all the time, :blink::D:P

Oh EraSeek's hurt and he is a friend of mine! :D:D:D:D:D

Ain't nothin but a FROG dog...... :D

Oh heck. Sorry to hear, Eraseek :P

When you get better we'll all have to get together for a celebratory cache hunt.

Why don't we do a get-together hike up some mountain now, wiith Eraseek as a honorary guest on a stretcher? :P

We can put the fastest hikers on the carry team. That way the stragglers can at leasat keep up. :)

Just a note. For those who don't understand my cryptic nature, on my cache Purgatory, after each find I am posting a passage from Dante's Purgatory that somehow relates to caching or climbing, or mostly the specific cache site.

Example:

"What negligence to stand around like this!

Run to the mountain, shed that slough which still

does not let God be manifest to you!"

so did that new-formed flock of souls give up

their feast of song, and seek the mountainside,

rushing to find a place they hoped was there.

-Canto I

the first part is a command for all to seek the mountain and reason why, and the second part is the results where people follow the command "rushing to find a place they hoped was there" (the cache). Yes, all rather cryptic. You could see it as a simple "the cache has been posted and now they are coming" Hope it makes some sense.

Is this a bit much?

Is this a bit much?

Well EraSeek hunny.... like... what I think you need is a nice pair of slippers for your poor little feet while you are resting up!

So... like I got these for you. They are the best T-O-T-A-L-L-Y kewl froggie slippers I could find. Look at that detail! Oh my!

ENJOY!:

3f6f6238-dc5d-4b75-92be-95a364bb2a30.jpg

Love, MGTS xoxoxo

:o:D:D:huh::o:D

Edited by Miss Goody Two Shoes

When on that mountain, high and splendid,

No thought had I but reaching that precipice

And placing a box there upon its brow.

Upon my journey sweet, but one of struggle,

as I ascended below its majesty of rock and hieght,

it occured to me a word of past readings.

That word was "Pugatory" for that is what seemed

to lay before me! A grand mass of God's power

and grace. Solid it lay, gray granite, shooting for the sky

As surely as Hell's souls pardoned before their

Last breath by their last act in life.

And this all before I was laid low by my own miss step.

Now I Live It! In my bed I lay, day by passing day.

My sinful foot raised high above my heart

Penance is my keep, Glory is my shepard.

How long to cleanse me of my sinful act

What matter as long as there is hope of cleansing!

Six rounds of passing weeks? But a pitance of penance!

Ah, but my story does not end so short!

I have my rewards! Past things have come to me.

Once again I read the sweet words of Dante!

The evil that laid me low has good purpose!

Oh man! Hiking out is worse than driving for 6 hours with a broken knee. If I'd known it was broke that bad I wouldn't have driven home.

At least you went straight to ER!

Get well soon.

PS. Had to wait two weeks before they could do surgery on it. But, I was "working at home" for 3 months!!!! :blink: