Leoness Completes Her Mission!

Many congrats to the Queen of the Jungle (of N Yorks!) who this afternoon bagged her last remaining cache in N Yorks and achieved her target of clearing the nation's largest county of its many and varied caches before relocating down south at the end of the month!!

8_14_7.gif4_19_3.gif4_17_6.gifcircle.gifmex.gifdj.giftcwozere02.gif8_14_7.gif

She now has Hampshire & Oxfordshire in her sights!!

Cheers!311v.gif

Seasider

When are you going Leoness?

I've got a 5 star puzzle cache ready to place. I was going to put it in Bramham Park but looking at the map if I shift it a mile to the east then it hops over the border into N Yorks. :DB)

That would keep you busy for a couple of week before you go.

But then again... who could do something so cruel. ;):P

Not me. B)

I can't lose though because if it stays in W Yorks then it gives Rutson something to scratch his head on. B)

Ok beyond addicted!

New caches in North Yorks are in severe danger. I have just read the log for Via Ducks.

If you are placing in North Yorks you better be sure it's in place when it's approved or you may find somone sat there waiting.

I think we could keep her very busy in the next couple of weeks. :blink:

When are you going Leoness?

I've got a 5 star puzzle cache ready to place. I was going to put it in Bramham Park but looking at the map if I shift it a mile to the east then it hops over the border into N Yorks. :D:D

That would keep you busy for a couple of week before you go.

But then again... who could do something so cruel. :blink::D

Not me. :D

I can't lose though because if it stays in W Yorks then it gives Rutson something to scratch his head on. :D

EAST! EAST! Shift it to the East.

Well.... er... .West Yokrshire is getting overcrowded, or summut.

north Yorkshire, lovely county, needs more caches.

Firstly, my thanks to Seasider for creating this forum message. I've never seen anything quite so colourful in the forums before! There's not many people who can make me blush but I have to admit to turning a pretty shade of pink when I opened this topic! :P

Many thanks also to everyone else for your kind comments and congratulations. :D

I have only been living in N Yorks since May 2003 and came across geocaching last summer, finding my first cache on 1st August, so I've yet to clock up a full 12 months. It didn't take me long to become addicted though and I only set myself the goal of finding every cache in N Yorks earlier this year. At the time, I didn't realise that N Yorkshire is the largest county in the UK, with over 150 very diverse caches, covering a huge area. :D

My source has been the geocacheuk.com interactive map, which I have slowly turned from blue to red! :P I am aware that there are other caching websites and there may well be other caches out there in N Yorks of which I am unaware.

I thought it might be nice to list a few of my favourites and have found this to be virtually an impossible task as I have enjoyed (nearly) every single one. OK, so you're now wondering which I DIDN'T enjoy, so I'll stick my head above the parapet and say that it was Cornwood Walk - GCJ17N near York (see the comments and you'll understand why!) :D

As for my favourites...

Hardest to get to has to be Sun Trap - GCJH1X, bushwhacking through 6ft high bracken on an impossible incline but the FTF made it all worthwhile. ;)

Best days caching was the day I spent with Seasider on Ingleborough. We set off from Clapham, taking in Sleepy Hollow - GCJ5M3 and Gaping Gill - GCJ3CT on the way up Ingelborough - GC5EF4, walked 12+ miles in beautiful countryside with fantastic views and found half a dozen caches with 2 FTFs, namely Sulber Gate - GCJDC0 and Moughton - GCJDBM which are both on limestone pavements. Being "ladies of leisure" (well I am :D:D ) we chose a weekday and therefore had the countryside entirely to ourselves as the three peaks can become motorways at the weekends.

The best views were naturally from the tops of big hills and there's plenty of them in the Yorkshire Dales! Whernside - GC5EF3 (again with Seasider) and Pen-y-Ghent - GC5EF2, Shirfare's Point - GCGDJ2 and Which? Ditch - GCGE2V.

Other great views from The Kitchen - GCG9D4 and How Tallon - GCFA6E, (both of which are only just in N Yorkshire by a matter of feet) and RADAR - GC31DF and Wainstones - GCHFN5 over on the Moors.

I enjoyed two multi caches placed by Harrogate Hunters, namely Ripon Ramble - GCHGXF and Harrogate Hobble - GCH2N7 and I understand there's the Skipton Stroll to look forward to soon. I hope it goes online before I move south.

I have to admit to being a little worried about the prospect of having to solve From Enigma to Echelon - The Stash (GC6536) as it was a level 5/5. E to E- The Code (West Yorks) had been archived for some time so I was hoping I could get away with not being able to do The Stash B) but KimRobin very kindly unarchived it, so it became a must. :) It was certainly the most complex cache I have had to work out and gave the old "grey matter" a good work-out too.

I saved the caches on the coast until last. Partly because of the logistics of getting the timing right (low tide) and partly because they're the furthest from home. I have to agree with Seasider that Walking with the Dinosaurs - GC7684 was fun, especially since we added to the drama by sliding down the cliff in heavy rain. :D I'm also amazed that so few people have been to Doin' Time - GC39DA at Filey Brigg. There's a sign on the beach advising people to LEAVE the Brigg at least 2 hours before high tide. We added to the drama by setting out 2.5 hours before high tide and just as the sun was going down! :D:D:o

Nearly every cache in the county has been interesting either for the beautiful countryside/views or the interesting local history. I have learned a lot in the last few months and have got to know the Dales very well, not to mention adding a few 1,000 miles to the tachometer in hubby's car!!!

As for the future... we've just heard that we "march in" (don't you just love those Army terms) to our new quarter on 2nd September, so I'm around in the area for a few more weeks. We're hoping to get up to Scotland for a few days in August before it becomes too far away and then, look out West Country, here I come!!! :D

Many, many thanks to everyone who has placed a cache out there for me to find. I am sure that one day we will be returning to live in Catterick Garrison and I can do all the new ones and revisit some old favourites again.

I might not be a numbers (wo)man... but addicted? Who me? :D:D:blink:

Shouldn't that be:

Hint: Vg'f orgjrra Bksbeqfver naq Unzcfuver!!

You have way too much time on your hands Mr Rutson.

Get out and find Austin Power #4. Now that a FTF has been logged I think you are allowed to go find it.

Interestingly, there seems to be a sh!t fight going on in Austin now over puzzle caches. This cache hit the streets of Austin this morning.

Set by a disgruntled Austin cacher who is peed off with puzzle caches.