Putting A Cache Along A Golf Course

I put a cache out, when i should of asked first. The cache is mulit and at one point you have to cross a 150ft part of a fairway. Your on the trail and you can see the other trail in front of you but there is the fairway. There is trails out here then run all around and throught the golf course not cart trails but gravel trails. At the last part you have to walk along the course but not on it there is ponds and waterfalls between the course and were you have to way. The golfers dont go here. I saw no sign on the gravel trails or all way along the way that said do not enter or no tresspassing. So should i remove it or leave it. It has not been approved yet and it might not. I just Listed it tonight ;):D:D:D

Edited by Magilla Gorilla
The cache is mulit

LEAVE IT !!! I've never done a mulit cache on a glof course. :D

It's gonna take a while for my hair to grow long in the back. ;)

Can you do a feather mulit?

There shouldn't be a problem with caches next to a golf course, just as long as the cacher wouldn't be required to actually cross onto the course property, since many courses are actually private property.

Even if the course is public, I would still watch your placement so nobody is tempted to walk anywhere where they would interfere with the golfers who have paid to be there.

I used to have a cache next to the local country club and it was never a problem, as there was easy access to the cache from a public bike trail next to the course, so nobody ever had to venture onto the course.

OK. Silly question. What IS Glof? :D Is it some new game? ;)

(Yea, Yea, I'm not usually this anal, I just hate that you can't correct your own mistakes on thread titles.)

If this glof course is on private land, then No, unless you get permission. If it is not, then take a shot at submitting a listing. Or ask your approver first.

SNOOG9.jpg

Like stunod said... Public or private, it doesn't matter, all glof courses are the same way. I was once told that, in order for me to ride with my parents, we would have to pay $16 for me. My father's response was to leave my uncle and my mother at the glof course and go home with me.

I'm sure it's a beautiful area, but is there a way to reconfigure it so you can still see the pond and not cross the course? Better yet, have you ever approved this with the course managers?

Maybe you should recommend that this stage only be hunted at night. I have had some of my best times on a course after dark. ;) : That way cachers would be safe from falling glof (sic.) ballz. Unless Stevie Wonder was teeing off. :D

But seriously-I agree with the chicken and the fly-no one should be on or near a fairway who isn't playing that game, for safety and liability. Golf has its own certain etiquette and awareness just like geocaching. If there are trails/greenways that are near and around the course, redirect the order of stages to eliminate this unecessary risk.

Edited by wimseyguy

OK you Abjectly Silly people, I edited the title for the original poster.

BTW, regarding crossing the course... NO NO NO! As a golfer, I would really be mad is some person went walking across the fairway in front of me. You don't even do that as a golfer. You follow the cartpath to go back to the clubhouse if you have to go back. These people pay good money to go out there to play golf. The liability you assume by putting cachers at risk is also a big issue. It is also private property. Golf courses in State Parks don't have hiking trails going across fairways. Why? A golf ball can kill you. There is no need in putting a geocacher at risk like this.

Edited by mtn-man

That's just fine Magilla Gorilla. Thanks for getting the cache. I don't think anyone was being malicious but was just poking good natured fun. I am slightly dyslexic myself so I understand. It is tough for me to read the numbers at our drawings during our GGA meetings sometimes. If I am tired it seems to get worse. In any case please feel free to post in the forums at any time. You asked your question in the right place.

I like the idea of putting a multi-cache near or in a golf (glof) course! My father lives on a well-known private course in California that allows walkers on the trails early in the morning and in the evening.

IF the course that you are considering allows entry during off-hours and

IF you include that contraint in the cache description, it should be fine. Also, it would be a fun one to hunt! :blink:

I realize that I am late to the party, but what are the nature of the trails? If these are hiking trails that intermingle with the golf course, golfers are no doubt warned of possible intrusion. If this is the case, the cache should be fine as long as permission has been obtained for box placement and a warning is placed on the cache page regarding flying glof balls.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that caching should be permissible anywhere that allows hiking.

Edited by sbell111
I realize that I am late to the party, but what are the nature of the trails? If these are hiking trails that intermingle with the golf course, golfers are no doubt warned of possible intrusion. If this is the case, the cache should be fine as long as permission has been obtained for box placement and a warning is placed on the cache page regarding flying glof balls.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that caching should be permissible anywhere that allows hiking.

Ironically, we recently did a cache in Nashville that was near a golf course. I wish the cache owner had made mention that there was a green right next to one part of the multi. We got over there and I sort of freaked out a bit when I saw the coarse through a thick set of trees and hedges. I know how bad of a golfer I am! I might not be able to keep the ball within that narrow fairway and green. Fortunately there were some guys on the green when we were there so no golfballs were coming our way while we were there. It would have been nice to know it was there though.