Brand New - Need Recommendations

Quid Pro Quo

I’m in information systems and believe it or not – I’ve just discovered geocaching. Thanks to my brother who told me about it. I was hooked immediately simply by hearing the concept. Anywhoo….I need to buy a gps – have done some research. Not too worried about price – Can someone simply give me some experiences with different equipment? Thank you in advance. I hope to soon hit my first cache.

Hey Quid, welcome to the club.

I use a Garmin Etrex Legend, it costs about $215 dollars (msrp) and has guided me faithfully to many a cache (if you consider 53 as many). The Legend can hold up to 8mb of maps and tracks and such, which is more than I've ever needed at any one time. I also think it's a good deal for the price.

Garmin Etrex Legend

Now, if price is not an issue, I'd recommend the Garmin GPSmap 60C or 60CS. This one even has specifically designed geocaching navigation functions. I hope to get one of these in the future. Eventhough it costs $480 for the 60C and $530 for the 60CS.

Garmin GPSmap 60CS

The eTrex Legend is an excellent choice for a first GPS. It's relatively inexpensive and has mapping and a lot of other nice features. It's compact, lightweight and durable. I've seen it for as little as $160 and I hear Garmin has a $30 rebate now. The Vista is also nice, as it has more memory than the Legend and also has a barometric altimeter and a build in compass.

I agree with the others that if price is no object, you won't find a better GPS than the Garmin 60CS.

Edited by briansnat

I too just went through the 'price is no option' for a gps upgrade and landed on the 60C. I came from the etrex line and it's been dynamite. Now, two other friends who use vistas are following my lead and getting the 60C(S) specifically for geocaching and the autorouting...

really great unit!

good luck with your deicion!

I've used the base eTrex, the eTrex Legend, and now a GPSmap 60CS, and have had no trouble with any of them. The eTrex was a good "starter" GPSr, but I quickly needed more features as I got hooked on geocaching. The Legend does fairly decent mapping, but nowhere nearly as impressive as the 60CS. One of the other great things about the 60CS is the geocaching feature, which automatically segregates your found vs. unfound caches.

I used an old Garmin12 for months, and it was very accurate. Even the lowliest etrex should be accurate, but to me, after it is all said and done - get the electronic compass. Without the compass, you have to be moving for the compass to work, and when you stop, then you need to back up or something. So the scenario is, you're within 30 feet, but the rocks make you stop and climb. Your gps stops pointing accurately just a little early, so you have to walk away - or turn it off and back on, or something. In Garmin, I think the Summit, Vista, and some more expensive models have it.

I, too, started with the Magellan 315. It was a great unit. Now I use a SporTrak Pro. My personal preference is Magellan, though my son uses a Garmin. If you go with Magellan, you don't need to spend extra for the electronic compass, since all Magellans have a "Northfinder" feature, which works great and is extremely handy.

If you will be using it in areas with alot of heavy tree cover, the ETrex line sometimes has trouble keeping lock in those conditions because of the "patch" antenna. Magellan's "quad-helix" antenna does better in those conditions. On the other hand, some users complain about Magellan's slight "time-lag", also known as the Magellan "slingshot effect", though it's never been an issue with mine.

All the units available are good, and will get you to the cache. Look for the most features you can afford, and then actually go down and hold the units in your hand. How do they feel to you? That final test is what finally made my decision after narrowing the field down to two different units.

Welcome to the madness!!!

If money is no object... ^_^

I would recommend either the Magellan Meridian Platinum (Meriplat) or Garmin 60cs. Both are excellent units, and I find that they very often agree on location, down to within 5 feet usually... Quite accurate.

The tradeoffs are this:

The MeriPlat has a monochrome screen.

The 60cs does not accept any kind of memory cards for additional mapping.

As I travel for a living, the street level mapping is a concern. I carry a 128MB SD card in my Meriplat, and that covers all of SC, TN, KY, WV, OH, and IN. It also covers most of AL, GA, NC, VA, and IL, and parts of PA, MI, MO, and AR... That's a lot of maps (with TOPO and Points Of Interest)!

The 60CS has other features which compensate for the lack of expandability, such as the PDA and Geocache functions. As I carry a PDA in the field for geocaching, I don't need those features on the GPSr.

If a color screen is a necessity, and you don't feel like dealing with an electronic compass (they have to be calibrated), then Meridian Color (MeriColor) should also be high on your list. The MeriColor doesn't have the magnetic (electronic) compass, nor the barometer or thermometer that the Meriplat has, but they function identically otherwise. Aside from the color screen, the MeriColor is basically a MeriGold. The MeriColor's display resolution isn't as high as the 60cs, but it is a great unit with upgradable mapping.

I haven't used any of Garmin's map products, so I can't compare them. I am given to understand, though that many of their map products only give you one region for free, or must be re-registered (or something like that) every time you change the map. With the Mapsend software I use (Topo), I can change maps at will, or even carry multiple maps on different cards. Changing the SD card only takes a minute...

All told, take the time to research your available options, decide what you need in a GPSr, and actually hold the various receivers before you figure out which receiver you want. Then, shop around. Prices vary widely between the various merchants, so you can get a deal now and then (I bought 3 SporTrak Pros for a total of $475 at Wal-Mart!). Take a look around at some of the combination packs now available, too. You can get it all in one package!

I’m in information systems and believe it or not – I’ve just discovered geocaching. Thanks to my brother who told me about it. I was hooked immediately simply by hearing the concept. Anywhoo….I need to buy a gps – have done some research. Not too worried about price – Can someone simply give me some experiences with different equipment? Thank you in advance. I hope to soon hit my first cache.

I currently use a Garmin 60cs and I love it. I highly recommend it!

If price is an issue, I have also used a Garmin Legend and it was a great unit too!

I haven't used any of Garmin's map products, so I can't compare them. I am given to understand, though that many of their map products only give you one region for free, or must be re-registered (or something like that) every time you change the map.

This is not true. I have Mapsource Topo USA in my Garmin Vista and can change my map any time. Most of their Mapsoure software works this way. Topo, Roads and Recreation, Metroguide, etc...

I think what you might be referring to was the CitySelect software that came installed on the GPS V. I'm told it came with your region already on it for free and if you wanted to add additonal regions, you had to pay for an 'unlock code". It was a tradeoff, because you received the mapping software for your region without shelling out the big bucks required for most mapping software. It was only when you went beyond your region, that you needed to pay, but you'd only pay for the regions you wanted. At least this is the way I understand it works, but I could be wrong.

City Select runs about $100 and you get all of North America. Some of their products either do or used to have regions that had to be paid for separately, but (at least) the newest CS is all-for-one.

As for which GPSr to get... I started out with the Legend, which is a fantastic unit. Great starter. I upgraded to the 60C a while back - not for caching (any unit is fine for caching) but because I use it for a lot more than that. The larger, color screen and autorouting features were worth it for me. With CS loaded, I also use it to locate restaraunts, major stores, gas stations, etc.

If you think you might use it for more than caching, especially if price isn't an issue, go for a better unit off the bat. You'll save money by not having to upgrade.

I'll add another vote for the 60CS. MSRP is $530, but you can find it for $130 less than that if you shop around. As I just upgraded from a Garmin GPS 12 to this, I'm still a little blown out of the water at the capabilities of this unit.

Lisa

:mad: The Legend vs. the 60CS. hmmm.. I agree with everyone who says if price is not a problem, go for the 60CS. There is an upgraded Legend (the Legend C) which has a greatly improved antenna but I've heard it's a little shy on the built in mapping (compared to the B/W Legend). The Legend also has the "Click Stick" which is a thin version of the rocker button. Personally I have trouble using it. The 60CS offers a generous rocker button that you can't possibly go wrong with (even me with ten left fingers). If you can afford it, the 60cs is a great receiver.

Ross

The GPS Place

I know Quid's question has been well and long in replies. I just want to throw in my advice... Buy the best you can afford. My old maggie 310 doesnt have any maping features, does not have d-load capabilities, doesnt have a magnetic compas and is limited to a two decimal Lat/Lon precision HOWEVER I got it for $88USD NEW at walmart..along with my first set of batteries and sales tax..total was an even $100USD.

Sure, if you can afford a $650 GPSR that does everything byt sign the log for ya, go for it Be nice if I could :lol:

Quid, there is a similar thread over on another forum. You may want to check it out.

For what it's worth, here is what I posted over there.

From what Ive seen on the forums, you'll find that everyone has different opinion on what is best. It's just going to come down to what you want and how much you're willing to spend. You can find an older (but perfectly usable) GPSr on ebay pretty cheap. If you're looking for something newer, the best deal I've seen is over at campingworld.com. They are clearing out new (not refurbished) Legends for under $100. I think they are also offering shipping for $1. I bought one elsewhere a couple of weeks ago for $160. If interested, check out this link. You can get it for $10 cheaper if you join their Presidents Club. It costs $20 but is worth considering if you need to buy any other camping gear. Good luck with whatever you decide.
I used an old Garmin12 for months, and it was very accurate. Even the lowliest etrex should be accurate, but to me, after it is all said and done - get the electronic compass. Without the compass, you have to be moving for the compass to work, and when you stop, then you need to back up or something. So the scenario is, you're within 30 feet, but the rocks make you stop and climb. Your gps stops pointing accurately just a little early, so you have to walk away - or turn it off and back on, or something. In Garmin, I think the Summit, Vista, and some more expensive models have it.

Or you can just use a regular compass Being new to this myself I use a Legend until I can convince myself that I need more toys :rolleyes: I encountered exactly what you described, so out came my Orienteering compass (you can pick them up for under $10) The Legend will display a correct heading to the waypoint regardless of if you are moving or not. Just take a bearing on that heading and off you go. Would one in the GPS be nicer? Of couse, but for now, the trusty compass works fine.