Best Bite To Eat After Caching

I remember from a couple weeks back, a friend and I went on a 12 mile roundtrip cache hunt in the hot arizona sun, and when we got back.... Oh man... We stopped at Quizno's. Food has never tasted so good before. :o

I know food always tastes better after the outdoors, but for some reason it always tastes particularly good after caching. :blink:

Edited by vw_ev
I remember from a couple weeks back, a friend and I went on a 12 mile roundtrip cache hunt in the hot arizona sun, and when we got back.... Oh man... We stopped at Quizno's. Food has never tasted so good before.  :o

I know food always tastes better after the outdoors, but for some reason it always tastes particularly good after caching.  :blink:

I wouldn't think those Spongmonkeys would taste all that good? :(

I remember from a couple weeks back, a friend and I went on a 12 mile roundtrip cache hunt in the hot arizona sun, and when we got back.... Oh man... We stopped at Quizno's. Food has never tasted so good before.  :P

I know food always tastes better after the outdoors, but for some reason it always tastes particularly good after caching.  :blink:

I wouldn't think those Spongmonkeys would taste all that good? :o

:P

Anything tastes good.... well with a few exceptions. :(

Well, here in Utah, the land that never wakes, and goes to bed at 10pm, there isn't much open usually by the time I get done caching. Wendy's is open till 2, so they usually win by default. Salads there aren't bad, either.

Having driven several times from Denver to Las Vegas. I have to agree. They roll up the sidewalks in some of those towns at 6 pm on a Friday.

my friends and i gave up looking for one cache and decided to go to a restaurant across the street. we knew they had the best peanut butter pie in town... but they didnt have any. (they run out about an hour after opening.) so we tried the next best thing... a daily special called the "taco wrap". oh man... it was great.

but i still havent had any of that peanut butter pie...

I remember from a couple weeks back, a friend and I went on a 12 mile roundtrip cache hunt in the hot arizona sun, and when we got back.... Oh man... We stopped at Quizno's. Food has never tasted so good before.  :D

I wouldn't think those Spongmonkeys would taste all that good? :D

Spongmonkeys.

Two day 50 cache trip in iowa with bedfinders and sox fan ended with a great meal on a sunday in bentondorf, IA at the governor's inn.  $2.99 for 1/2 lb. cheeseburger and fries. food and sitting for over an hour never felt so good.

I agree...one tasty burger and the nice cold beer was awasome also.

MMMMMM..Cheeseburgers!

But...it seems everytime I cache with FallenFaery we make Subway the eatery of choice. Love those Chicken Pizziolas!!

Edited by Sox Fan

My best food caching experience happened in Los Angeles' Mig Alley cache. Check out my log:

So I landed in LA, and I knew the first thing to do before finding and visiting my friend in Reseda was to geocache. Hmmmm... where to go first? Darn, I'm hungry. Saw in the logs in this one that you can get food here. Then I can geocache for the rest of the afternoon. Ok...

Didn't know I'd spend the next 4.5 freakin' hours here, just REVELING in the place!!! So much for my doing nearly any other cache near LAX besides Grand Central!

So I arrive... and WHOA! Neat looking place! Lots of history! I wander on in, and ask about food and they ask me if I want the buffet. Buffet? WOW! SEAFOOD BUFFET!!! And lots of good salads and desserts!! And a HECK of a view of planes landing at LAX accross the street! What a show! And stuff to LEARN while I am there!!! What a way to land in Los Angeles!!

OK, THIS was happiness. THIS is why I am into geocaching... all the unexpected surprises!! ;) 

Turns out I came at the right time. The fancy seafood buffet only happens during weekday lunchtimes. I think they said they had a brunch buffet on sundays.

So after I finally got a full stomach (wow, lots and lots of crab legs, yum!) I wandered around the building, checking out all the pics and history decorating the walls.

FINALLY I got around to actual geocaching. Yeah, whatever.  My definition of a fantastic geocaching experience is when the cache itself is utterly anticlamactic compared to the location it is in. Yup, this one fits all right! Collected the numbers, did the math, found cache, signed log, YAWN. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  Don't change a darn thing about this cache! ;)

Edited by Sparrowhawk

Aaaahhh! Food...my favorite subject. :tired:

After I find a cache where I burned a lot of calories, I try to put them back in my body as fast as I can. If it is mealtime, I crave a bacon cheeseburger with a chocolate shake. If it is not mealtime, I would probably eat the biggest ice cream cone ever, or a sundae, or a banana split...YUMMY...now I'm hungry.

I just love food... :tired:

My best (well, only, really) story of food and caching is this past weekend at the Ottawa "Go and Get 'Em 5" event. 25 caches, 24 hours... 75-some people. Anyway, I found a community BBQ going on at a local church, and they were giving out free food. And boy, was it ever good...

Energy for the rest of the afternoon... and then of course we all met up for pizza and beverages afterward!

An In-N-Out double double cheeseburger with grilled onions, fries and a large coke. MMMMmmmm!

It's too bad that folks outside of California (and a couple neighboring states) don't have In-N-Out Burger joints.

I'm with you there, everytime I go out to the west I make a pilgrimage to Inn & Out. I'm so glad they built the new one in Las Vegas off of Tropicana. I just wish we could get them out here. Then again I'm already fat enough.

Edited by mogolloyd

I would have to agree with 2 other cachers, 1: In-N-Out Burger 2 : Dinosaur Bar-B-Que

I live in the Syracuse area and man, that is bar-b-que you will never forget. It is awesome! And becuase I now live in Syracuse, I can't get mymost favorite burgers, In-N-Out cheeseburgers! But at least i was out in CA this summer, made about 4 trips there while we were out!!!

Edited by Fire_Fly
I remember from a couple weeks back, a friend and I went on a 12 mile roundtrip cache hunt in the hot arizona sun, and when we got back.... Oh man... We stopped at Quizno's. Food has never tasted so good before.  :D

I wouldn't think those Spongmonkeys would taste all that good? ;)

Spongmonkeys.

That is, without a doubt, one of the more unusual things I have encountered in a very long time. Thank you! :D

All these posts and I only saw one that was actually home cooked.

After a long day last weekend of locationless caching and general exploring I returned home and felt like something refreshing and different. The garden is right beside the driveway.

I pulled a large beet (the size of a softball) and a onion from my garden and sliced them up into chunks and slices respectively. Dropped them into a pot and began the process of making a delicious meal. A 1/2 rack of bacon was then chopped/diced and fried to semi-crispness. This was then added to the potted veggies with two table spoons of Bacon and Chedder Philidelphia Cream Cheese.

The result was fantastic! One great tasting home made slightly weird Borscht. But MMMM MMMM GOOOOOD!!!

Oh and a cold beer :blink:

While we've only tried 2 of them, there is an entire series of caches placed on the premises of Chicken Fried Steak places around Austin, TX. We planned a few days of caching to end at the CFS joints, and had dinner after finding the cache. I've lived and cached lots of places, but have never had CFS like I had in TX.

:laughing: For my first find, I went out with my wife and her friend. About halfway through we were dieing for lemonade and the smell of some pizzaria or home over off in suburbia (it was in a city park) had us craving pizza.

By the time we were done, we were so confused. I don't know about any of you, but pizza and lemonade don't exactly seem to go together to me.

We spent almost ten minutes debating were to go. We didn't want to make our own lemonade and every place we could think to go didn't have good enough quality lemonade (we must be snobs, we're dieing of thrist and and still turn our nose up at fountain lemonade) and none of the pizza places we could think of, sounded "refreshing."

We ended up going to a apple farm resuarant and got apple cider. There Teriaki and bb-q sause (if you can believe it) we made with apples. It was really good and totally not what we were talking about.

:bad: I was thinking of creating some "date" or "dinner" caches this winter. Kinda of give, a vauge discription of whats in store and make sure that the hunters are atiquately prepared (money, proper attire, change of clothes, whatever).

:laughing: What do you think of a hunt for the bit to eat?

Some risky culenairy adventure.

After caching around Pokagon State Park in Indiana last weekend, we ran East to the TriState Marker Virtual. North from there on SR49 in Reading, MI is a place called Ray's Tavern. At one point, USA Today declared their burgers the best in the states. I was director of a camp NW of there around that time. Whenever we tried to go, the place was packed and we ended up elsewhere.

Anyone who gets a chance to drop in there, let me know how it is. There's nothing else in the area, cache-wise.

Please endeavor to make your posts to this thread more about the experience of a good meal had while on a geocaching outing, and less like a commercial for a particular restaurant or chain. If you want to tout particular restaurants, follow the link above to the geodining site, which is set up for this purpose. Thanks!

Please endeavor to make your posts to this thread more about the experience of a good meal had while on a geocaching outing, and less like a commercial for a particular restaurant or chain. If you want to tout particular restaurants, follow the link above to the geodining site, which is set up for this purpose. Thanks!

Why is there a sudden problem with mentioning eateries? A similar topic was closed over in the Off Topic forum because it was considered a "commercial posting". Mentioning specific establishments in this thread started with the OP and I see that even an admin added a post singing the praises of a certain establishment. Why, after 2 + months is this suddenly off limits?

If a restaurant owner posted here recommending that you come to his establishment, that would be commercial, but I don't see how saying "Billy Joes Barbecue has great apres-cache ribs" is commercial.

Heck, I've seen dozens, if not hundreds of threads where people recommend that someone buy a certain brand of GPS, or PDA, or urge others to purchase Cachemate, GSAK, or other software. That's far more commercial than mentioning the name of the establishment you frequent after cache hunting.

But if that's the way things have to be, my favorite stop after geocaching is *****, they have the best hot dogs around. Deep fried in oil, not grilled. And their relish is out of this world and I'm not usually one for relish on my dogs. Another place I really like to stop after a cache hunt is *****. I just love their Texas weiners all the way.

Please endeavor to make your posts to this thread more about the experience of a good meal had while on a geocaching outing, and less like a commercial for a particular restaurant or chain.  If you want to tout particular restaurants, follow the link above to the geodining site, which is set up for this purpose.  Thanks!

Why is there a sudden problem with mentioning eateries? A similar topic was closed over in the Off Topic forum because it was considered a "commercial posting". Mentioning specific establishments in this thread started with the OP and I see that even an admin added a post singing the praises of a certain establishment. Why, after 2 + months is this suddenly off limits?

If a restaurant owner posted here recommending that you come to his establishment, that would be commercial, but I don't see how saying "Billy Joes Barbecue has great apres-cache ribs" is commercial.

Heck, I've seen dozens, if not hundreds of threads where people recommend that someone buy a certain brand of GPS, or PDA, or urge others to purchase Cachemate, GSAK, or other software. That's far more commercial than mentioning the name of the establishment you frequent after cache hunting.

But if that's the way things have to be, my favorite stop after geocaching is *****, they have the best hot dogs around. Deep fried in oil, not grilled. And their relish is out of this world and I'm not usually one for relish on my dogs. Another place I really like to stop after a cache hunt is *****. I just love their Texas weiners all the way.

Fair questions. I posted my post in the interest of being consistent with the actions taken in the similar thread started in the Off-topic Forum. Over there, the moderators had received complaints using the "Report this Post" feature, and action was taken by a moderator in response. I see now that the moderator has reopened the thread that he had closed. I am sure he was just trying to be responsive to the complaint that had been lodged. Likewise, over here I was just trying to be consistent since the moderators are often accused of being inconsistent.