Problems Interfacing Garmin 60cs And Gsak

Me again!

I'm trying to download waypoints (gpx) from GSAK to my 60CS. My wife downloads from GSAK to her VISTA no problem, but she uses a serial port. My 60CS deals with a USB port.

With GSAK, your only option is to choose a serial port - whether it be COM1 or COM9, or anything in between. In the GSAK Help - GPS Set-Up Dialog Box, it says "some modern computers don't have serial ports, and you need to use a USB-to-serial converter - in this case your communications port might be COM3, COM5 or some other designation other than COM1. If you are having trouble communicating with your GPS receiver, consult your computer's configuration or documentation to determine what to choose for this field."

So, I've tried COM1 right through to COM9 on my Packard-Bell computer, and nothing connects. I've even tried typing in the letters USB, but that's not working either.

The 60CS is definitely connected to the PC - I've exchanged waypoints with the MapSource map on the PC that came with the 60CS. (BTW, the GPS is set to Garmin mode).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

- PumpkinOneA

Very interesting, Team DEMP! I had no idea about that.

Zack, I took your advice and downloaded EasyGPS (it's what my wife used to use before she switched to GSAK, so we were a little familiar with it). We tried entering the 60CS but it's not even on the Garmin list in EasyGPS! There are about thirty different ones, including the 76 - so I tried choosing that one, and then EasyGPS still only gave me the option of a COM1 or COM2 serial port - no option for a USB port. How did you do it?

- PumpkinOneA

Well, a few things are cleared up for me! Whew!

I had version 1.2 of EasyGps - this is the one you get directed to from the geocaching site. I went to the EasyGps site and downloaded 1.3.7, and that has the Garmin 60CS on it, as well as the usb option. It worked - I now can download waypoints from geocaching.com to easygps, to my 60CS. Now my concern is trying to figure out how to get the waypoints coming in to our inbox from the pocket query in the right form - easygps for me, and gsak for my wife.

I'm downloading gpx files to easygps and am hoping all the information i need - including the hints - come through to my GPSr. Just busy checking that now.

I see that some people download the gpx files to gsak and then to mapsource and then to their 60CS - that would be great, but I'm not that computer literate. Tried to do that a few times but can't quite figure out how to fill out the "Export MapSource MPS File" form. Plus, I've no idea how to create the proper association in "My Computer" (it keeps telling me to do that).

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I see there's a similar thread going on a few titles away.

- PumpkinOneA

I'll try this (gpx to gsak to mapsource) tonight and see what I can find out. I'm sure between now and then someone here will be able to help you though! these boards are great for this stuff.

Another solution (and the one I currently use) is to only use the USB port for Map uploads from Mapsource. The 60C still supports serial transfers if you have the proper cable. I just hook up the serial cable and transmit to the 60C directly from GSAK.

The serial cable for the 60C is the same cable used for the GPS-V and I beleive the 76 series and should be available from any number of places.

Hi, Right Wing!

Actually, I thought of that - using a serial cable to connect the 60CS to the PC - but the one that my wife uses for the Vista has a different end on it, that sort of slides into the back of the Vista. There's no such outlet on the 60CS. Perhaps there's an adaptor available somewhere?

- PumpkinOneA

Here's how I handle everything. Download PQ in GPX format. Merge multiple PQ's using the Watcher program. Once I have all of the GPX files merged I save it as a single GPX and then use Easy GPS to send to Garmin 2610, 60C and Emap. Oh and I also convert the GPX to a Palm database for CacheMate :unsure:

Zack