Sending In Units For Repair

I had to send my Rino 130 in for repair (the page button stopped working). I've heard from some other people that had their units repaired that they got free stuff. I just wanted to see what kind of free stuff people have gotten before, and see what I should expect for turnaround time. They siad 10-14 days, I sure hope its sooner because I'm going on vacation soon.

Thanks for your replies, Coolclay

I personally would not want to get free stuff after sending something in for a repair. It's kind of like a cellphone provider giving you "free anytime minutes" when you can't even get a signal to use the dang things in the first place. It's just a way to keep you coming back, despite bad quality. It's kind of insulting if you think about it. :D

I personally would not want to get free stuff after sending something in for a repair. It's kind of like a cellphone provider giving you "free anytime minutes" when you can't even get a signal to use the dang things in the first place. It's just a way to keep you coming back, despite bad quality. It's kind of insulting if you think about it. :unsure:

You must be a Garmin owner. :unsure:

Actually it makes for great PR and it is successful because it does keep customers and generally creates repeat customers. There's nothing wrong with that kind of marketing strategy. I find nothing insulting about it. Instead I have an opposite perception. It is a nice way of showing customer appreciation.

:unsure: Correct, I'm a Garmin owner.. but I don't like the idea of getting gifts for having to get things repaired and/or corrected. I'd rather not have the issues in the first place. The cellphone example I gave is true though. Tmobile tried to pull that crap with me... "sir I'll be happy to give you 100 free anytime minutes." I refused to accept them for the sheer fact they wouldn't of done me any good without a signal! Also, they tend to note "freebies" in the notes section on your account and it makes it look like they made good on their end and makes it that much harder for you to cancel without paying the ETF.
:unsure: Correct, I'm a Garmin owner.. but I don't like the idea of getting gifts for having to get things repaired and/or corrected. I'd rather not have the issues in the first place. The cellphone example I gave is true though. Tmobile tried to pull that crap with me... "sir I'll be happy to give you 100 free anytime minutes." I refused to accept them for the sheer fact they wouldn't of done me any good without a signal! Also, they tend to note "freebies" in the notes section on your account and it makes it look like they made good on their end and makes it that much harder for you to cancel without paying the ETF.

You must under the impression that you will never have a problem with a Garmin GPS,. in the real world, now I only speaking from over 30 years in all aspects the reteail industry from sales to being an owner, there is not one resepctable manufacture in the world that does not have a warranty dept. Things break,it is part of the retail world. I was selling GPS gear before the first gulf war (Back then your choice was Magellan, for recreational use) and sold GPSr util I retired last November, Percentage wise, we took just as many Garmin back as Magellan, Giving a free item build customer loyalty. sent one of Magellans in a couple of months ago, it was almost 2 years old, well beyond the one year warranty, but they still covered it under warranty and they sent e a free data cable not that I needed it, but two days ago I tripped over the cable that cae with my GPS and broke it, but I had the new one that Magellan sent to me, so I was covered.

It says uder your avatar Student, well you have a little learning to do regarding warranties, If you could save a few dollars on your Garmin if they had an option to purchas without a warranty would you buy it at the reduced price.

:unsure: I just want my GPS back! I sent in my new Garmin in June - over a month ago. I was told turn around time was 4-6 weeks or more (the tech guy at the store said probably more).

I called yesterday. They had sent it to Quebec (I'm in Canada) to be repaired and Quebec sent it to the USA.

Another 2 weeks in the US and then it has to go through customs and all to get back to me. In the meantime, I ordered and paid for the Auto package (mount, map, power cable) in APRIL and I'm still waiting for that, as are others.

Am I satisfied? No... Am I put out? Yes!

I'm sure mine is just a unique situation (the power button gave up - haven't seen others complain about it). I'm just frustrated 'cause I've become so dependent upon the GPS that being without it is like swimming in a vast ocean without a lifejacket. (I am severely directionally-challenged as well as vertically challenged).

When I orderd my 60c and case from Tiger GPS they sent me the wrong case. after I emailed them about it they told me it was the right cace. I then emailed Garmin with a picture of the case to ask if it was the right case. Two days later I got a package from Garmin with the proper case and a t-shirt, all Free!

All in all I'd rather get all that free stuff when I buy my GPS and not after it's broken.

However it's good PR and a nice way to say "sorry to put you through all that trouble." The stuff probably only cost magellan peanuts since it's just injected plastic (you probably would choke on the markup if you saw it).

There is a world of difference between a letter that says "Sorry for the trouble" and one that says "Sorry for the trouble, we are enclosing a carrying case as a small repayment for the inconvenicne that has been cause you."

I don't know that Magellan breaks more than Garmin or not, but the policy isn't and should be used an the only indicator of their equipments reliability.

:blink: Correct, I'm a Garmin owner.. but I don't like the idea of getting gifts for having to get things repaired and/or corrected. I'd rather not have the issues in the first place. The cellphone example I gave is true though. Tmobile tried to pull that crap with me... "sir I'll be happy to give you 100 free anytime minutes." I refused to accept them for the sheer fact they wouldn't of done me any good without a signal! Also, they tend to note "freebies" in the notes section on your account and it makes it look like they made good on their end and makes it that much harder for you to cancel without paying the ETF.

You must under the impression that you will never have a problem with a Garmin GPS,. in the real world, now I only speaking from over 30 years in all aspects the reteail industry from sales to being an owner, there is not one resepctable manufacture in the world that does not have a warranty dept. Things break,it is part of the retail world. I was selling GPS gear before the first gulf war (Back then your choice was Magellan, for recreational use) and sold GPSr util I retired last November, Percentage wise, we took just as many Garmin back as Magellan, Giving a free item build customer loyalty. sent one of Magellans in a couple of months ago, it was almost 2 years old, well beyond the one year warranty, but they still covered it under warranty and they sent e a free data cable not that I needed it, but two days ago I tripped over the cable that cae with my GPS and broke it, but I had the new one that Magellan sent to me, so I was covered.

It says uder your avatar Student, well you have a little learning to do regarding warranties, If you could save a few dollars on your Garmin if they had an option to purchas without a warranty would you buy it at the reduced price.

Quite frankly I could care less what you sell/sold/etc. I'm also sticking to what I originally said.. sending me free stuff after having to send something in for repair is pathetic. It's a gimmick to get you to come back. I also don't need to learn anything.. how do you know I'm not some 70y/o man who considers himself a student because I'm going back to school for a law degree? Stop making assumptions. You dislike Garmin and every comment you make supports that. If little gifts from the warranty department make you happy, stick with Magellan... either way I could care less. You guys like to argue this whole Garmin Magellan issue WAY TOO MUCH. :o

Jeesh....

If something breaks I would be fairly certain ANY customer would be more "satisfied" with receiving it back with some sort of compensation. This applies to any product. not just GPS's. I believe that is Magellan's view on the inclusion of free stuff with the return of a serviced GPS unit.

If you find this offensive, or underhanded, you could always send it back...

You must admit though, from a purely marketing (PR) perspective, it is a great idea. Especially since we live in an age where a computer simply spits out a form letter saying "Gee were sorry...." some B.S. letter dosen't mean much to me.

Have a look around, any company you write to and complain about their product does the same... perhaps someone should ask Garmin why they Don't. :blink:

Team Happy face - DyverDown, Scubaweeble

When I sent my Garmin Legend back to get the rubber gasket thingy re-attached I had it back in my hands within 36 hours AND they also replaced the screen (which had a small scratch) unasked and uncharged.

I also received a bunch of Garmin stuff (t-shirts, baseball caps, stickers) for an event cache I hosted; Magellan did not even respond to my request.

I am a happy, content Garmin owner. :blink:

;) Correct, I'm a Garmin owner.. but I don't like the idea of getting gifts for having to get things repaired and/or corrected. I'd rather not have the issues in the first place. The cellphone example I gave is true though. Tmobile tried to pull that crap with me... "sir I'll be happy to give you 100 free anytime minutes." I refused to accept them for the sheer fact they wouldn't of done me any good without a signal! Also, they tend to note "freebies" in the notes section on your account and it makes it look like they made good on their end and makes it that much harder for you to cancel without paying the ETF.

Quite frankly I could care less what you sell/sold/etc. I'm also sticking to what I originally said.. sending me free stuff after having to send something in for repair is pathetic. It's a gimmick to get you to come back. I also don't need to learn anything.. how do you know I'm not some 70y/o man who considers himself a student because I'm going back to school for a law degree? Stop making assumptions. You dislike Garmin and every comment you make supports that. If little gifts from the warranty department make you happy, stick with Magellan... either way I could care less. You guys like to argue this whole Garmin Magellan issue WAY TOO MUCH. :D

:D You seem a little confused. And surely not showing the maturity of a 70 year old man in Law school!

;) Correct, I'm a Garmin owner.. but I don't like the idea of getting gifts for having to get things repaired and/or corrected. I'd rather not have the issues in the first place. The cellphone example I gave is true though. Tmobile tried to pull that crap with me... "sir I'll be happy to give you 100 free anytime minutes." I refused to accept them for the sheer fact they wouldn't of done me any good without a signal! Also, they tend to note "freebies" in the notes section on your account and it makes it look like they made good on their end and makes it that much harder for you to cancel without paying the ETF.

Quite frankly I could care less what you sell/sold/etc. I'm also sticking to what I originally said.. sending me free stuff after having to send something in for repair is pathetic. It's a gimmick to get you to come back. I also don't need to learn anything.. how do you know I'm not some 70y/o man who considers himself a student because I'm going back to school for a law degree? Stop making assumptions. You dislike Garmin and every comment you make supports that. If little gifts from the warranty department make you happy, stick with Magellan... either way I could care less. You guys like to argue this whole Garmin Magellan issue WAY TOO MUCH. :D

I could care less how old you are. The most important thing in retail is keeping the customer happy, Sending a free item is keeping the customer happy. then there are those people that you can never make happy regarless of what you do for them, these are to ones that just want to be mad at the world. Most of these customers have law degrees.

IF you are 70 years old, which I doubt, you would understand the need for keeping customers happy. As I said, you need to learn how things work in the real world of retail. Not every company in the world is trying to *&^% you over.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

:P You seem a little confused. And surely not showing the maturity of a 70 year old man in Law school!

I'm really not confused at all. I honestly do not want anything from any company in the world after sending something in for warranty work in which the issue is the fault of the company. They could send me anything/everything and I'd still not be a returning customer so why take something from them? I'm not here to leech off some company in order to remain a customer. Alot of you like getting free stuff (even if you won't be buying anything from the company ever again) and in my mind thats just as bad as the company sending you some stupid thing in the first place. Anyhow, you have your opinion.. I have mine. To Johnny, my original point wasn't fuel to your Garmin/Magellan debate and I don't want to even really entangle myself in that everstanding debate. All I can say is my Garmin products work great and I've never owned a Magellan product. B)

;) I just want my GPS back! I sent in my new Garmin in June - over a month ago. I was told turn around time was 4-6 weeks or more (the tech guy at the store said probably more).

I called yesterday. They had sent it to Quebec (I'm in Canada) to be repaired and Quebec sent it to the USA.

Another 2 weeks in the US and then it has to go through customs and all to get back to me. In the meantime, I ordered and paid for the Auto package (mount, map, power cable) in APRIL and I'm still waiting for that, as are others.

Am I satisfied? No... Am I put out? Yes!

I'm sure mine is just a unique situation (the power button gave up - haven't seen others complain about it). I'm just frustrated 'cause I've become so dependent upon the GPS that being without it is like swimming in a vast ocean without a lifejacket. (I am severely directionally-challenged as well as vertically challenged).

I have sent my Vista for repair twice, in both cases it took one day for repair

(I was tracking shipment). No free stuff :P , I guess I was not angry enough during conversation.

;)  I just want my GPS back!  I sent in my new Garmin in June - over a month ago.  I was told turn around time was 4-6 weeks or more (the tech guy at the store said probably more). 

I called yesterday.  They had sent it to Quebec (I'm in Canada) to be repaired and Quebec sent it to the USA. 

Another 2 weeks in the US and then it has to go through customs and all to get back to me.  In the meantime, I ordered and paid for the Auto package (mount, map, power cable) in APRIL and I'm still waiting for that, as are others.

Am I satisfied?  No... Am I put out?  Yes!

I'm sure mine is just a unique situation (the power button gave up - haven't seen others complain about it).  I'm just frustrated 'cause I've become so dependent upon the GPS that being without it is like swimming in a vast ocean without a lifejacket.  (I am severely directionally-challenged as well as vertically challenged).

I have sent my Vista for repair twice, in both cases it took one day for repair

(I was tracking shipment). No free stuff :P , I guess I was not angry enough during conversation.

It could be that when your Vista went in they had a small work load. Warranty depts. have times when they may have a 3 or 4 week back log and then there are times when it may be just a day or two. Then again if you deal directly with a manufacture you will save a few days, the day you take an item into a retailer may not be the day it goes out if that have a morning UPS pick up. If you tke in on a friday and you missed the stores UPS pick up, your GPS will not go out untill the following Monday.

If you take your GPS to UPS yourself it goes out much faster and you get it back faster.

I have seen a very large sunglass with a 6 month turn aRound By the way.

Anyhow, you have your opinion.. I have mine.

B) Now gents, this says it all right here. Don't confuse him with facts or PR marketing hype, he already has his eyes shut wide open and his mind made up. B)

OK, sorry, I thought he might step back and read what he was saying. Not likely based on the comments though... ;)

For example, take this one:

"I honestly do not want anything from any company in the world after sending something in for warranty work in which the issue is the fault of the company."

That comment just makes no sense. Is he assuming that there are companies who never make a mistake, or their parts don't fail, or if one of these things happen they are foolish to try to do something extra for the customer?. :P

or this:

"I also don't need to learn anything.. "

I see - and that attitude is exactly why you will NOT learn anything.

And I also don't see why pcmike keeps bringing up some Garmin/Magellan debate??? He seems to be the only one focused on that in this thread and it has nothing to do with what was posted to start the thread - completely misses the point here also.

So, I agree, facts will not help in this case at all!

As far as the subject is concerned, I agree that giving you something for your trouble with a problem is a good gesture. I have a Garmin but expect that Magellan also has good products. I have not had a repair and don’t expect free stuff – but again, don’t think it is bad at all. And, sorry to slip in a fact – making efforts to make your customers happy before AND after the sale is a good strategy. Geeesh – I can’t believe I’m trying to explain something like this. :DB)B)

Edited by timf6

You guys expect way too much. It's actually rather funny to see how some of you are ACTUALLY COMPLAINING that you DIDN'T GET FREE STUFF. Quite pathetic in my honest opinion. I really cannot believe that you would want or need free stuff in order to fill that a company you did business with was worthy enough. You'll never see what I'm trying to say, because you'd rather get, then be content with what you have. Oh well... some people always want MORE, unfornately thats most of you. ;)

You guys expect way too much. It's actually rather funny to see how some of you are ACTUALLY COMPLAINING that you DIDN'T GET FREE STUFF. Quite pathetic in my honest opinion. I really cannot believe that you would want or need free stuff in order to fill that a company you did business with was worthy enough. You'll never see what I'm trying to say, because you'd rather get, then be content with what you have. Oh well... some people always want MORE, unfornately thats most of you.  :blink:

You have it wrong and completely missed the boat when you stepped off the pier.

There are two forms of compensation that companies utilize.

1. The first is the way you described about the phone service... offering you extra minutes when it was known you couldn't use the service in the area you required it to be available. That's just bribery to keep you on regardless of how bad the service is.

2. Then there is the compensation for the inconvenience you had to suffer while your unit is in for repair. It's generally unexpected by the normal customer. Very few actually go out of their way looking for it. But when it happens, it's a feel good; a warm and fuzzy. It's an legitimate attempt by the company to keep an existing customer happy by apologizing for the inconvenience of having to wait for the unit to be repaired. As a token of their apology, please accept these gifts to make your usage more enjoyable.

I don't blame you about the #1 form of compensation. I've had it happen to me with one cell phone company and I turned them down. If I can't use the phone, the extras are useless to me.

It's the #2 you completely miss and YOU'RE COMPLAINING AND ARGUING SHOULDN'T HAPPEN. What shouldn't happen? The repair or the freebies? It has nothing to do with the lack of quality of the product. Magellan puts out a high quality product the same as Garmin does. (This isn't meant to start a brand war.) If they didn't, it wouldn't sell. Pure and simple. So, I get my unit repaired and an apology for the inconvenience by way of freebies at the same time? There's nothing wrong with that kind of PR compensation. It's considered a great service strategy. At the very least, Magellan stands by their warranty and backs it up with a smile and a gift. I'll good mouth that kind of service any day of the week. Word of mouth advertising is the most powerful kind of advertising on Earth. How best can a company gain that?

The trouble you're having is you are equating #2 to be the same as #1 and they're not.

I can point out different company (via PM if you really want to know) who will do what they can to weasle out of their warranty, and they produce wonderful products. Just don't expect them to service their product under their warranty if it breaks within their stated guidelines.

Edited by TotemLake

I guess I started this thread, I probably should step in and give my opinion.

First and foremost lets stop all the flaming, we're all friends here.

Second we all know or should know that even good companies with good products have an accident now and then. Now of course I'd rather not have the accident, but I know that Garmin is a good company, and will fix their accident for free.

Now while doing that I am out the time I could be using it, and the $ to send it in. Now if Garmin could send me compensation for the missed time and $, I would be happier, if not I'm still happy to have my GPS back.

I am still going to buy Garmin, just because one button broke does not make it a bad product or a bad company.

I know that Magellans have problems as well, it doesn't make them bad products or a bad company.

Ok there you have it plain and simple

If I see one more mean :blink: intentioned post here I am closing it.

I just hope that I get it back by Friday, I am going on vacation to Maine.

:blink: Correct, I'm a Garmin owner.. but I don't like the idea of getting gifts for having to get things repaired and/or corrected. I'd rather not have the issues in the first place. The cellphone example I gave is true though. Tmobile tried to pull that crap with me... "sir I'll be happy to give you 100 free anytime minutes." I refused to accept them for the sheer fact they wouldn't of done me any good without a signal! Also, they tend to note "freebies" in the notes section on your account and it makes it look like they made good on their end and makes it that much harder for you to cancel without paying the ETF.

I also don't need to learn anything.. how do you know I'm not some 70y/o man who considers himself a student because I'm going back to school for a law degree? Stop making assumptions. :D

By readng your profile by the way

You guys expect way too much. It's actually rather funny to see how some of you are ACTUALLY COMPLAINING that you DIDN'T GET FREE STUFF. Quite pathetic in my honest opinion. I really cannot believe that you would want or need free stuff in order to fill that a company you did business with was worthy enough. You'll never see what I'm trying to say, because you'd rather get, then be content with what you have. Oh well... some people always want MORE, unfornately thats most of you.  :blink:

"Not wanting free stuff" == "saying MeriColor is better than 60CS" or "not wanting contrast high resolution color screen"

There is nothing wrong with sending free stuff with repair.

Edited by vr12

I know its sad, but I just emailed Garmin and asked if they could give me anything for my trouble. He siad he will send me a earbud + mic of $30 value. Of course it probably costs them like $1 but it still makes my day :blink: .

Hey JohnyVegas try cutting down in the quotes please. All you have to do is quote one line not a quote of a quote of a quote please, thanks. And thanks to the rest of you for your replies (minus all the flames)

Amazon Annie,

Last June I sent my Legend off to the Canadian rep in Quebec with a name that starts with Nav......

It took forever to have it fixed even though I told them that I had the screen scramble problem and that this website told what the problem was.

If I recall correctly, I got it back in late July or early August.

Now, guess what?

Screen scramble once again! :blink:

I'm writing to Garmin as we speak to see if they will take care of it and I will personally mail it to Garmin in the US instead of sending it to Quebec next time.

Will advise once I know more.

Mike

P.S. No free stuff either. :D