Logging The Cache Bar

Der...Hi,

I want to make some caches that require certain number of caches to log. For example, a '200 logged' cache that you are not allowed to log until you have found 200 caches. There are very few above this mark in my area, and I think it would be interesting to see how many, and how fast people would log it. However I don't know if this is allowed. Would I be able to remove logs from people who cheat? I would like to do several in a similar area...100,200,300 etc.? Has this been done (Probably)? How did it work?

Guper Seekie

I suppose you could put in your cache description that it can only be found by people who have over XXX finds and if found by someone who has less you'll delete their log.

As a cache owner I prefer my cache to be found, regardless of the number of hits on the cache. In fact the 2nd cache I ever placed was first found by a person finding his very first cache. Pretty cool, I think.

Zack

I don't see why not.

My question is would you have to have 200 finds BEFORE finding this one? or would it be “Hey, for a really memorable 200th find, do this cache”

To make a personal observation, take it or leave it as you wish, holding this cache out there is going to build anticipation and expectations that it was worth working towards.

PS. I thought it was "Rock the Cache Bar" :D

Edited by Elf Danach

I would think it would be allowed, but take a few things into consideration.

There is no way you can keep people with less then 200 finds from going out and finding it, and signing the logbook. You will have to delete their online log if the post it, and that may upset people.

Some people may say you're being elitist.

Other people will be mad that they have a cache on their nearest list they are not allowed to log, even though they are able to find it. You're really going to have to gauge how the local people are going to react. In some areas, most may think it's a fun idea, in other areas it may anger them.

Edited by Mopar

I've known people who have gotten into geocaching after stumbling across a cache. Then they go to the website, log the cache online, and get hooked quickly thereafter.

If I were a newbie and just happened to find this cache, then found out I wasn't "worthy" of finding the cache, that wouldn't inspire much fondness for the sport. I agree that this could be seen as elitist.

If you're looking to acknowledge the local high-finders, I might suggest a cache similar to "Drain Bamage", which recognizes So Cal's high-finders, instead.

However, it's your cache and you are free to set whatever rules you want. Just be sure you spell the rules out clearly and keep in mind that you can't please all the people all the time. :D

You can't stop cachers from finding it, you can delete the online log to enforce your theme. Cachers will find it who just go out and hunt blind, then read the cache page later. Others will just find it who never log online anyway so the rules don't matter to them because the enforcment can't happen to them.

Your theme is fine. Just take reality into account and if you are up for the game, by all means place it.

It seems like an idea that will upset far more people than it will excite. There is nothing that says you can't do it, but make sure you're thick skinned when you post your requirements for finding this type of cache.

Also keep in mind that many people find caches without having the description, so may not know about the rule until returning to their computer to log it.

Perhaps you can hide a cache and email people with over x number of finds with the info.

That sounds similar to something I was considering, but abandoned the idea because it would recquire more maintainence than I want to put into a cache. My variation was to have people get the coordinates from me via email after getting those little red checkmarks on the first 10 pages of their "closest" cache query. I was thinking of printing out a certificate and placing it in the cache. People would have to post the screen shot images of thier 10 closest pages for credit. Like I said, too much work :D

The idea came to me after thinking of some similar goal oriented cache experience like the nearly impossible Delorme Challenge (recquires 124 caches to complete).

Also keep in mind that many people find caches without having the description, so may not know about the rule until returning to their computer to log it.

Perhaps you can hide a cache and email people with over x number of finds with the info.

Here's a cache that was placed a few months ago.. The cache coordinates are not actually the correct coordinates (and it's stated so in the cache page). I think I accidentally visited the posted coordinates (some how I got them into my GPS). The location is a public park I think (and the coordinates pointed to the middle of a small creek so I ended up checking out both sides very well - a good 45 minute experience in which I later went "duh").

I look forward to being able to find the cache in the near future...

How about letting the cache be open to all. But have a special list of GeoCachers who have attained the 200 List. Then you can have your own get together (Pizza Party, Wine Tasting, etc. for the folks on the list).

Just an idea of a way to pay some tribute to the 200's AND let those of us that are not there yet, have some hope of reaching that goal, if it is our choice.

JayBee

I've known people who have gotten into geocaching after stumbling across a cache. Then they go to the website, log the cache online, and get hooked quickly thereafter.

If I were a newbie and just happened to find this cache, then found out I wasn't "worthy" of finding the cache, that wouldn't inspire much fondness for the sport. I agree that this could be seen as elitist.

It's no more Elitist then Member's only caches.

Thorin

It's been done again, on an even larger scale, in Tennessee...

The Cache of the Titans

It's a members only cache with a requirement of 1000+ finds.  He's quite plain about log deletions on the main page.

I see no problem with what you are planning, ans long as you are clear in your explanation, and thick skinned enought to take some heat from those who do not want to find your cache and log it according to your clearly posted standards for logging it as a find.

I was part of a group that found the Cache of the Titans and few months ago. As required I signed the log sheet that afternoon and posted a note online. When I found #1000 on Sunday it was like getting a bonus :D because I could now go back and log Titans as a find too. (Of course it's not ALL about the numbers. :blink: )

edit to reply to Jeepcachr's rationale-you don't need to have a list of eliglble finders. Just look at the cache page when people find your cache. Fewer than 200 finds-send them an email asking them to change it to a note until they reach the stated threshold. They they can log the find. If they refuse to comply then you need to delete the log entry.

There is no reason to physically revisit the cache.

Edited by wimseyguy

My rationale in placing The Cache of the Titans, was to create a special cache to recognize those who were this addicted to geocaching, to provide a goal for people to work toward, and to place a difficult cache that would taunt numbers runners. I think it has been successful on all counts. As I explained to my approver, this cache does not exclude anyone from logging it, it only dictates that they may not be able to log it YET. There is nothing keeping anyone from finding 1000 caches. This is not an elitist cache, because although it is made for what I consider to be the elite, no one is excluded from it. In fact my point is to give them a reason to try to join this elite club and to reward them for their efforts. I have had no complaints about this cache, although I have had some good natured ribbing from some friends. They have all laughed and said that they would just have to work harder.

My intent was to make people happy. When people log it, they are happy, I have received several emails from people who are very proud that they can finally log it. I also meant it as a goal to aim for. Surely, encouraging people to do more does not make them unhappy. Just for the record, didn't it make you happy when you logged this cache?

..... And then we could set up caches ONLY for people with the latest Magellan. NO LITTLE YELLOW GARMINITES ALLOWED!!!! ..... and then maybe one ONLY for REAL, TOUGH HIKERS WHO HAVE DONE THE APPALACHIA TRAIL BACKWARDS IN WINTER, BLINDFOLDED! ... yeah, that'll keep the riff-raff out.

Just make it a tough hide , away from any other caches, with a substantial hike and maybe some searching, be sure to load it up ONLY with well-used range balls - - -THEN only the chronics will ever visit it and chances are their numbers would be fairly substantial.

I'm sure that you are looking to place a cache with a new concept and that is a good thing. As you can see from the responses though many people think this is a bad idea. I agree. You definitely will have trouble from finders with this concept and it will put you in the position of taking a hardline approach. Will you really want to delete the find of a new cacher with between 6 and 20 total finds and risk discouraging them to the point that they quit?

People often post logs on my caches that say they didn't read the cache page completely. No big deal. I once went to a city 3 hours one-way from my home after having left all the cache pages behind. I had very good luck using only the gpsr. These things will happen and you will have put yourself in a position where you will have to ask the finder to delete their find or have to do it yourself.

I believe that if someone visits the site, sees a container and signs a logbook, no matter how they got there, they are entitled to log it as a find. That includes being given clues by others, skipping over multi steps. If you PHYSICALLY get to the site and SIGN the book then it should be a find.

Container caches that require additional questions or qualifiers such as you proposed can be a nuisance. It takes a lot of work to plan a cache road trip or fun high-find day in the city and some pages just don't get fully read. The sport does not suffer because of this. I have not suffered because of the many people don't pay attention to my caches. No big deal!

Addiction to the sport can't accurately be measured by number of finds one has. Especially as the sport gets older the numbers will become more skewed. I consider myself addicted. I have 50+ finds and have been caching for 3 months. I had my first child born in January this year so if I was still with out children I might have found 100 or 200 in my first 3 months if I had the time like I used to have. Regardless I still consider myself addicted independent of the number of finds I have.

20 years from know 1000 finds may be nothing as some might be at the 10k mark.

El Diablo who is one of the regulars in the forum and a real contributor to the sport doesn't have that many finds.

I don't think I would mind your cache as long as it is easy to get 200 caches in your local area.

Der...the topic rages on. While I am still considering this, many good ideas/comments have come forth. Possibly listing it as a Premium cache and as a puzzle. Coords would be good but it might stop people from looking without reading. Part of the reason I want to do this is to celebrate the big dogs from the puppies. Does that sound elitist, maybe it is...I don't care. I wouldn't be preventing the puppies from growing up. My little corner of the woods is pretty geo-isolated. I have a wee bit over 200 caches, and have had under 30 caches within 100 miles for some time. I can trickle new ones as the come or travel. So on a recent area geo-picnic, meeting those with 300+ was pretty impressive. Our local big dog is still under 400 (He is a slacker)! Im in Alaska, so I can't just drive to the next big town and run up a big logged count. Also, alaska gives me plenty of opportunity to place a cache where muggles will NEVER find it. As far as elitist goes, I am also toying with the idea of making them an "Alaska" only. All those out of state caches don't count. I probably won't for fear of death.

Guper Seekie

... Just for the record, didn't it make you happy when you logged this cache?

Ummm, I was commenting on the original poster's hypothetical issue, not any specific actual cache. This is why I did not quote your response or refer to it in my response.

To answer your question, it didn't knock my socks off. I was well over 1000 finds when I found it. It and a few others were on my way home from the airport on a quick rest stop before having to fly out of town again. It was there, so I logged it.

edit to reply to Jeepcachr's rationale-you don't need to have a list of eliglble finders.

I didn't mean that he needed a list of elgible people. As one of his reasons for doing this was that he wanted to see how many local people had over 200 finds.

Found counts mean very little. In Alaska or other cache poor areas 200 is probably a pretty impressive number. When I hear that you can go to citys like Atlanta and easy log 100 in day then 200 isn't that impressive. Where I live in western Michigan you can do 10 caches in a day without working to hard but I've done more of my caching in Northern Michigan where working all day to log one or two is more my norm.

I don't like any of the caches with requirements like your proposing. In your area you may not have a problem but in some areas your going to find your cache missing the first time you delete someones otherwise legit found log.

Actuality Tennessee has two of these cache the other one you can only log if you have less than a 1000 caches found unless you hide three hard caches, one kind of equals out the other, unless you hunt and don’t hide ………………JOE

Twisted

Edited by JoGPS