Washington State

Pepper

Revisions:

I also think Moun10Bike's point about having a human element in the design is a good one. The hiker is looking out at the landscape and helps tell a bit more of a story about geocaching and what the coin is about - It is a human activity and involves the outdoors. I can add his other arm and a GPSr, but I would think the relief on the coin would need to be right to show the smaller detail. Remember, it is a 1 1/2 inch coin, and the pics of the design we are looking at are larger.

I'll drop the "the" from the headquarters text.

How many colors are allowed for the front of the coin?

Your coin looks absolutely gorgeous. You have done a fantastic job on this and the way the local cachers have come together on this is something I am envious of. You should all be very proud, and you will all soon have THE best geocoin out there.

If I may suggest a couple of things though.. If the map of Florida was replaced with a map of Canada, the GC logo was replaced with a Maple Leaf, the pic of some unknown flat topped hill was replaced with a Tim Horton Dougnut, now you 'Merkins would have very serious coin.

:-)

Best of luck, mark me down for 5 (even without my expert advice)

That probably will doom any chance we have of getting random alphanumeric codes punched on the coins
Maybe design the coin such that only one alpa character needs to be hand stamped upon delivery??

I may be wrong, but I beleive the reason for the random sequence is to prevent fraudulent logging of the coins by folks who have never possessed that individual coin. Just stamping 1 or 2 alpha characters won't do anything to achieve that goal.

BTW: Where does MR G think the map of Florida is?

Looks GREAT! :o

Could/would you ship to Canada? if so ill take 5

That's where my Half-Canadian status becomes an advantage! You could have your coins shipped to my Point Roberts, Washington address and I could bring 'em through customs and send them on your way from the Delta post office.

I'm going to get 10 myself.

Hand stamping sounds like the way to go. I'll toss in a supportive vote.

I'd love to volunteer to help stamp the coins, but I have a hard time getting out of the house to cache with my daughter (1yr old tomorrow!). I'd like to lend my support in other ways; perhaps we need to enter/send the data to Groundspeak for our serial numbers, activation coes, and coin names? Let me know what I can do!

This looks like it is nearly done and we started chatting 'bout this only a few days ago. Excellent work everyone, especially Navdog and Pepper. Y'all made it happen!

Oh, MrGigabyte: It's Evergreen, not Everglades! :o

I have been wondering what the real requirements are and the technical ratonale behind them. For example, the M10B coins are tracked and they are just a sequential number? Is there a real technical issue or are we beating ourselves up trying to address a polictical issue? Maybe the database overhead can not be justified for items purchased from other than Groundspeak?

I do not mean to toss wet blankets, just that my training makes me strive to understand the difference between technical and political requirements.

Edited by runhills
Any word on if we can track the coins through Geocaching.com?

I have confirmed with Jeremy that we will not be able to do this. If we were able to produce coins with random alphanumeric identification, then he could accommodate us, but not if we use sequential numbering. We'll have to look elsewhere for tracking. I've already put out an email to MrG, who runs the Canadian geocoins site and has set up the tracking sites for several of the state sites.

Hey, Oregon got someone to step up to the plate and set-up the track site for free for us as a very nice service. There has to be some microsofty up there that could do the same thing.

Looks GREAT! :o

Could/would you ship to Canada? if so ill take 5

That's where my Half-Canadian status becomes an advantage! You could have your coins shipped to my Point Roberts, Washington address and I could bring 'em through customs and send them on your way from the Delta post office.

I'm going to get 10 myself.

Cool!

Could you take some other 'stuff' across the boarder for me? ;) JK :)

Howdy from California!

Born in Spokane and have been traveling back to Seattle/Bellevue lately for business and a bit of cahcing so I'd like to grab a few of these as well. Washington still feels like home to me.

I'll be in for 5 or so when the ordering time comes.

I'll be watching these forums but you may want to post in the general area when they're ready as well.

Very nice....

I've just read through all of the posts in this thread, and think that these coins look great! Also I've noted that the Jeep Travel Bugs appear to have semi-random tracking numbers. Perhaps part of the new database designed makes it easier to track things that way. (Could it be using a hash table?)

Anyway, The Jester made a comment early on about having a Rainier plane flying over Mount Boeing. This got me thinkging, especially in light of the concerns about the cost of the coins. You know, if we're going to mark Olympia then perhaps we should ask for a donation from one of these political folks for the "free advertising". Better yet, has anyone considered seeking corporate sponsorship? Yeah, that's it! Put a little "m" over Redmond on the map side of the coin. Maybe Billyco will pick up the entire cost of the coins as a tax deduction.

In any case, I'll take 10 -- perhaps more if needed. Pepper, are you keeping a tally of pre-orders?

In any case, I'll take 10 -- perhaps more if needed. Pepper, are you keeping a tally of pre-orders?

NBJPoppa we have not got to that point as of yet, as soon as the tracking details are finalized a new thread we be posted just to get a rough estimate on the amount of coins wanted. Hopefully the first mint will meet the 500 mark.

The ordering and money part is a whole different ball game.

Pepper

As for the text on the bottom of that side of the coin, I would suggest the URL of the tracking web site.

This is a VERY good idea.

While I like the California coin that we've done, the thing missing is the tracking URL on the coin itself. We've had to put them in bags with stickers on them and I know they won't last (the stickers with the URL on them).

Here is the link to the California coins if you haven't seen them: www.calif.geocoin.net

I LOVE the color.

One last suggestion:

You may want to consider doing what Oregon did when they did theirs:

Ordering some without tracking numbers that purchasers can keep or that people can leave as prized that aren't expected to travel.

NOTE: Don't expect most to travel. I've only dropped a few of my CA coins, but after bineg logged as picked up, they haven't been drooped again :) .

(OT: I actaully saw Moun10Bike coin appear in a cache 12 miles from me a few days ago after the coin was idle for a year! I didn't get up there quick enough to get it, though :o ).

Watching for updates.....

Edited by Kealia
Seth! try this link it will give you all the information your looking for about geocoins and sig items.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll find GeoCoins.

Geo Links

Pepper

Pepper: The Geocoin link section from the North Carolina Geocachers Association site contains 59 links to the Geocoin Designs section from Rhode Island Geocaching by Team FISUR page. Fifty nine!!! Its nice to have someone link to your team's page, and it's nice to have the geocoins arranged in alphabetical order, but that's just weird. We're no web designers, but it took us many hours to put that section together. A notice in small print by the NCGA that all 59 links go to theTeam FISUR site would have been nice. On the other hand, the fact that there is a quality site that is also getting the word out about geocoins makes it all good.

And that's all we have to say about that.

Team FISUR

FISUR you know I noticed just that when Rick from D & R email the geocoin link.

I did notic it was actually your site.

I do want you to know that on page 4 of this thread on M10B's 8th post he did pass along ya'lls URL!

Great Page and it looks like you've done your research and we appreciate the work in deed!!!

Pepper

I like Navdog's revision 10-2, but I also like the cleaner look of the less wording that Kfam put in.

It feels like "Home of Geocaching" combined with "World Headquarters" with the symbolism on Washington State is redundant and cluttery.

Perhaps, change World Headquarters to Geocaching Headquarters would fit better?

Edited by TotemLake

I think "Home of Geocaching World headquarters" helps tell the story a little better of what the coin is about and what's special about the state in the eyes of the geocaching world. It is a global game. Someone who finds a coin in another country may better understand what the coin is trying to present.

From a design point, filling out the outer circle with more text helps frame the inside part of the coin and doesn't look quite as plain.

But it's a coin, not a story book. I like the less cluttered (a subliminal CITO message ?) look and the balance with the other side of the coin. GEOCACHING HEADQUARTERS looks good too. imho

5f3b9df8-147a-4018-abad-bb9449f04610.jpg

edit to add subliminal message

Edited by Kfam
Like the US coins have the Latin phrase: E Pluribus Unum, (Out of One, Many)

The geocoin should have the phrase: Expiscor Lateo Calathus

Translated: Searching for Hidden Containers

:blink:

I thought the official language of geocaching was ROT13: Frnepuvat sbe Uvqqra Pbagnvaref.

The coins are really nice looking. Good job on the design. It's just too bad not to many cachers from the east side of Washington State (not east side of Lake Washington) didn't have much input here!! Maybe something like Grand Coulee would have been more central or the Apple Orchards mid state. Anyway. Good job on a really nice looking coin!!

Edited by LadyStevenson
The coins are really nice looking. Good job on the design. It's just too bad not to many cachers from the east side of Washington State (not east side of Lake Washington) didn't have much input here!! Maybe something like Grand Coulee would have been more central or the Apple Orchards mid state. Anyway. Good job on a really nice looking coin!!

Hey Maybe they could use a apple instead of a star on the state map side.

I'll take 30 of #10-2.

NavDog you've done a wonderful job on the coins!

I sitll have your address (I think), as soon as I get mine I'm sending you one as a great big thank you!!!!

Pepper

Edited by Team SuperGenius
I'd like to make a suggestion about the "too wordy" thing again.

How would it look if it had WWW.GEOCACHING.COM on the top and WORLD HEADQUARTERS on the bottom. The star on the map should be enough to show where "home" is.

I hear what you are saying but you also need enough words to say it clearly. I feel we need to say the home of.... to clearly express what we feel. Plus visually the longer word wrap is much more appealing on the stateside of the coin.

Navdog, excellent job of hearing our voices and putting it in a beautiful coin form. I place my vote for 10-2.

It's just too bad not to many cachers from the east side of Washington State (not east side of Lake Washington) didn't have much input here!! Maybe something like Grand Coulee would have been more central or the Apple Orchards mid state.

I am from the East side of the Cascades & I feel the entire state is well represented on this coin. Hiking is available anywhere within the state whether it be in the mountains or desert, along the beaches or rivers. We are all proud of beautiful Mt. Rainer and it can be seen from most hight points in the state clouds permitting. And the Columbia river is representive we don't need any dams to clutter it. The Bald Eagle is through out the whole state not just the west. So in all I feel this is the best representive of our complete state. Yes, it was too wordy, but oh well. Lets do it!

So, it looks like we're nearing completion of the design phase. I think it looks great and am ready to drop a C note for twenty.

I also hope that the real idea people weren't offended by my earlier suggestions.

The popularity of these coins in this forum makes me wonder if there are better discounts for a larger order.

Is it about time to open another thread to count up a number for an order?

Do we want to advertise outside of the NW forums?

Can't wait to have a pocketful of these babies!