Washington State

Pepper

I have only one little quibble with 10 - shouldn't "Washington" and "The Evergreen State" be switched?  As it stands, I read it as "The Evergreen State Washington".  As I said it's a little quibble. 

I'll try to get the wife to agree to about 20 for me.

I was going to say the same thing, but I got silver and the year so I wasn't going to press my luck! <_<

I think we've got plenty of time. We need permission for the logo and find out if we can track them on Geocaching.com's site. Assuming that we can, we will need activation codes and bags (like normal travel bugs) for each coin, right? There's gonna be some data entry to do as well.

Great looking coin folks <_< Sign me up, although I still vote for the frog instead of the star :mad:

Pepper, are you going to announce on this forum where/when to pay or are you going to keep an email list of folks that are interested? Are you going to set up a Paypal acct, or is this a strictly cash (checks in the mail sort of thing) transaction?

TIA

Oh my gosh I'm sleepy I think all those questions about paint (enamel/epoxy) should be answered by M10B tomorrow.

I think you answered fine, Pepper. Enamel is the type of paint, while epoxy is the protective coating over the coin that protects it from chipping and tarnish. Epoxy also helps bring out the fine details. I have enamel paint on both sides of my coins, but epoxy only on mountain side. Epoxy is not practical on the side with the numbering because the numbering is put on by hand after the coins are finished, and the epoxy would get messed up by that process.

Regarding the change in wording, I agree that it would be best to have "Washington" at the top and "The Evergreen State" at the bottom. I also like the change in the motto. What do people think about dropping the "the" - i.e. "Home of Geocaching World Headquaters?"

Regarding antique silver vs. nickel, I would vote strongly for silver. The antiquing adds depth and would help bring out the shading on the mountain, while nickel is an all-glossy finish. You can see a comparison of finishes on this page from another distributor (scroll down to the "7 Special Coin Finishes" listing):

http://www.emilitarycoins.com/startcoin.htm

That looks so awesome! Navdog, do you have an extra space between "Home of The" and "Geocaching World Headquarters?" If not, should we adjust the kerning there so that it doesn't look like there is a gap? Also, what do people think about dropping the "the" and making it "Home of Geocaching World Headquarters?"

Lastly, I agree that we should increase the width of the number field. 4 digits plus the leading "WA" should be enough?

Edited by Moun10Bike
That looks so awesome!  Navdog, do you have an extra space between "Home of The" and "Geocaching World Headquarters?"  If not, should we adjust the kerning there so that it doesn't look like there is a gap?  Also, what do people think about dropping the "the" and making it "Home of Geocaching World Headquarters?"

Lastly, I agree that we should increase the width of the number field.  4 digits plus the leading "WA" should be enough?

I might have an extra space in there from when I flip-flopped the wording. I'll do up another revision tonight when I get home, but it looks like you guys are really close to having an awesome coin!!!

Edited by Navdog

I just had a chance to read this thread this morning. I love what you guys have done in a few days. Navdog is awesome. 10-a looks good to me. Put me down for ten, maybe more.

Has the tracking been sorted out with Jeremy? If that won't work, could it be done at WSGS.com?

For 500 Coins I'm getting the following costs:

Antique Silver $1,525.00

Enamel Both Sides $350.00

Epoxy One Side $250.00

Die Charge $100.00

Shipping 1st leg $150.00 (eg to Pepper's House - Additional charge to each cacher)

15% Discount - $356.25

Total $2,018.75

Per Coin Cost $4.04

w/o discount, Per Coin Cost $4.75

Pepper, how's my math?

Pretty pricey, but I'd rather have one of these than two Oregon coins! <_<

I'm coming into this a little late; it is hard to figure out from the thread just how far the process has gone. Can the leader/s start a new thread when the details are worked out - maybe something like, "place your order here..." ???

I would be in for at least 10 - they look very cool.

Ok ya’ll I just got of the phone with Rick at ( D & R Military Specialties) the coins do not tarnish and air tight holders are not a requirement but look good!

Here’s the low down:

Antique Silver Coin base price @ 3.05 x 500 = 1525.00

Numbering @ .50cents per coin x 500 = 250.00

Epoxy (includes the enamel color) one side @.50cent per coin x 500 = 250.00

Enamel one side @.35 cents per coin x 500 = 175.00

SubTotal = 2200.00

Less 15% = 330.00

SubTotal = 1870.00

Shipping = 150.00 (no 15% discount on shipping)

One time die charge = 100.00 (no 15% discount)

Grand Total = 2128.00

Per coin cost 4.25 provided I absorb the cost of setting up the PayPal account.

PayPal account costs can be viewed here.

Note the Receive Fundsl line.

So there ya go it’s looks like we’ve got ourselves on AWESOME coin and the process was painless!

Edited by Team SuperGenius
To follow up on GO West's message, I think that we'll want to start a new thread for placing orders once the design in 100% finished and we have a plan for tracking the coins.  Let's hold off on orders until then (but it's nice to know if people are interested in ordering some).

Any word on if we can track the coins through Geocaching.com?

Argh. You can set up a free one easy enough, but if someone wants to pay with a credit card, that'll be a problem. You'd also need to tie this with your personal account. Wonder what the IRS will think of that. <_<

We're still in the design phases and this thread already has people placing orders. I sure hope we can hit 500, but it could be tough with that price tag.

Not quite a Portlander - actually live on the better side of the Columbia River, <_< and have been happily watching this thread. I would be in for 5. The most recent design is great.

Navdog if you are not in the design business - you should be. You have a knack for hearing what people are saying, and putting it in a design. You also have a real good eye for design - far to many make it more complex and cluttered than it needs to be. :mad:

Not quite a Portlander - actually live on the better side of the Columbia River, :P and have been happily watching this thread. I would be in for 5. The most recent design is great.

Navdog if you are not in the design business - you should be. You have a knack for hearing what people are saying, and putting it in a design. You also have a real good eye for design - far to many make it more complex and cluttered than it needs to be. :P

I agree. Excellent design. As I recall Navdog has some rather nice caches as well.

I think you will find that a few of us south of the border will be ordering coins. I also grew up in Spokane and lived in Wentachee for 3 years so Washington is a second home to me. Watching this grow it almost makes me want to suggest that Oregon does another coin. That way we can have a "cheap" one and a more expensive one.

Wow!

I am impressed. Wonderful job and great imput from all around. Thanks Navdog & Pepper and you too M10bike for all the work put into it. I will be proud to have 10a represent our state. I do agree that we could drop the, 'the' and just say Home of Geocaching World Headquarters. Less wordy, smoother flow and gets the point across. Just two cents worth from me again. Love the team effort of all who had things to say. Such positive cachers you all are. So again I say "WOW"

Edit: fixin the oops

Edited by Patudles

I have confirmed with Jeremy that we will not be able to do this. If we were able to produce coins with random alphanumeric identification, then he could accommodate us, but not if we use sequential numbering. We'll have to look elsewhere for tracking. I've already put out an email to MrG, who runs the Canadian geocoins site and has set up the tracking sites for several of the state sites.

Edited by Moun10Bike

I have confirmed with Jeremy that we will not be able to do this. If we were able to produce coins with random alphanumeric identification, then he could accommodate us, but not if we use sequential numbering. We'll have to look elsewhere for tracking. I've already put out an email to MrG, who runs the Canadian geocoins site and has set up the tracking sites for several of the state sites.

(longshot)

Hey, Pepper:

Could the coins be minted in a way that would meet Jeremy's requrement? Even if that incurrs an additional cost, it might save in the long run by not tracking them outside of the site.

Ok ya’ll I just got of the phone with Rick at ( D & R Military Specialties) the coins do not tarnish and air tight holders are not a requirement but look good!

Here’s the low down:

Antique Silver Coin base price @ 3.05 x 500 = 1525.00

Numbering @ .50cents per coin x 500 = 250.00

Epoxy (includes the enamel color) one side @.50cent per coin x 500 = 250.00

Enamel one side @.35 cents per coin x 500 = 175.00

SubTotal = 2200.00

Less 15% = 330.00

SubTotal = 1870.00

Shipping = 150.00 (no 15% discount on shipping)

One time die charge = 100.00 (no 15% discount)

Grand Total = 2128.00

So there ya go it’s looks like we’ve got ourselves on AWESOME coin and the process was painless!

Maybe this is where the WSGA could come in and help. Remember... the WSGA is not some faceless organization.... it is YOU. Thats why it was created.

Add a few cents to the cost to cover the transaction fees and shipping and run it thru the existing WSGA account?

I have a commercial Paypal account but I'm not sure I want the IRS seeing that kind of money going thru my personal account.

Could the coins be minted in a way that would meet Jeremy's requrement?

From talking to Rick before, the numbering on the coins is all done by hand. That probably will doom any chance we have of getting random alphanumeric codes punched on the coins, but I'll leave it to Pepper to find out for sure the next time she talks to Rick.

Oooh! This is looking good. Count me in for five or more.

Say, does anyone have a list of the various (cast metal) geocoins in circulation? Off the top of my head:

Moun10Bike (two versions)

Supergenius

USA Geocoin

Canada Geocoin

Oregon (?)

and those ones with that leafy guy on one side and the compass rose on the other

If there isn't already, there should probably be a web page showing all of the different ones. Then there could be a page for the wooden nickels...

BTW, I just picked up my first USA geocoin TB the other day. I think I'm gonna buy one for myself. Time to start another collection... :P

Seth!

Say, does anyone have a list of the various (cast metal) geocoins in circulation? Off the top of my head:

Moun10Bike (two versions)

Supergenius

USA Geocoin

Canada Geocoin

Oregon (?)

and those ones with that leafy guy on one side and the compass rose on the other

Seth!

Seth! try this link it will give you all the information your looking for about geocoins and sig items.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll find GeoCoins.

Geo Links

Pepper

On my way home from work today, I was thinking: Why are we adding serial numbers? I'd personally like to track 'em, but do we really expect that a $4 coin is going to get moved to another cache instead of just being kept by the finder? We might be working a little too hard to make 'em trackable when they may only visit one cache in their lifetime. :P

At $.50 per coin, it isn't an extra big cost. At 4.25 each, I'm willing to put an order in for at least 10. Fifty cents less wouldn't change the order. For me, they would go into personally extreme reached (read that as tested my mettle) caches such as Gem Lake or Melakwa Lakes.

Edited by TotemLake
At $.50 per coin, it isn't an extra big cost. At 4.25 each, I'm willing to put an order in for at least 10. Fifty cents less wouldn't change the order. For me, they would go into personally extreme reached (read that as tested my mettle) caches such as Gem Lake or Melakwa Lakes.

Yup, good point. The cost of putting the numbers on the coin isn't that great.

Unfortunately, the cost of tracking the coins has not yet been identified. The cost per coin could go up depending on the solution. I would like to see them serialized, but tracking may not be worth the cost if they don't move from cache to cache.

Unfortunately, the cost of tracking the coins has not yet been identified. The cost per coin could go up depending on the solution. I would like to see them serialized, but tracking may not be worth the cost if they don't move from cache to cache.

Well even if they aren't tracked, serialization adds value to the coin as a collector's item. Although I wouldn't mind having #500, I would covet #001 if I found it in a cache. Either way, it would sort itself out. The cost of tracking would be high (in general terms) in the short term, but would automatically see a reduction due to the collectible nature of the coin.

Caught the thread late, and they may be a done deal, but it seems like the latest version would look better without the hiker, he seems to take away from the scenery. Other than that, wow!

I thought the same at first Slinger but the hiker grew on me and I think I like it better now.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if the guy at the coin place does the numbering by hand, then he probably just uses a twenty dollar numeric metal punch set. An alpha-numeric punch set costs about 40.00 bucks. Maybe there is a group of cachers that would be willing to hand punch the coins from a list of 500 alpha-numeric combinations. One coin every 30 seconds is only about four man-hours. It's not like it's rocket science. I would think only three characters would be needed.

Having the coins track-able on the gc.com site would be pretty special.

Edited by Navdog
Maybe I'm wrong, but if the guy at the coin place does the numbering by hand, then he probably just uses a twenty dollar numeric metal punch set. An alpha-numeric punch set costs about 40.00 bucks. Maybe there is a group of cachers that would be willing to hand punch the coins from a list of 500 alpha-numeric combinations. One coin every 30 seconds is only about four man-hours. It's not like it's rocket science. I would think only three characters would be needed.

Having the coins track-able on the gc.com site would be pretty special.

NavDog I think you hit the nail on the head.

Mr. Team IAG numbered my coins for as an after thought the day I received them in the mail. My only regret is I didn't have the block made in to the die cast to put the numbers on.

It's a thought.

Tracking on Geocaching.com would be a cool plus.

Pepper

If I understand after my conversation with Pepper; the WA can be part of the mold and the sequencial numbers can be stamped by the dealer. For site tracking we need alpha numeric. Maybe design the coin such that only one alpa character needs to be hand stamped upon delivery??

maybe WA 9999 A

That should not take too many beers.

Edited by runhills
If I understand after my conversation with Pepper; the WA can be part of the mold and the sequencial numbers can be stamped by the dealer. For site tracking we need alpha numeric. Maybe design the coin such that only one alpa character needs to be hand stamped upon delivery??

maybe WA 9999 A

That should not take too many beers.

That could be the mint designation too. A for the first mint B for the second and so on. That way, if more than one set was made in a single year, you have an automatic mint designation.

Thanks for the coin links, Jon & Pepper. I had no idea that there were so many. I hope that I can find some of these in geocaches.

I'm excited about the WA coin. Although I didn't mention it initially, I had a similar reaction to the hiker that Slinger did. However, Moun10Bike's point is a good one--about being outdoors and all. I'd also like to see a version where the staff is replaced with a GPSr. I realize that it won't look like much at that size, but I think if the hiker is holding a small bump, we'll know what it is. (Hey, we can all spot a geocacher at 50 yards, right?)

Seth!