Washington State

Pepper

Washington State how many of you out there think it's a good time to get a coin for our state?

I for one think it's high time.

I watched CA State coin unfold on the forum and they are already going into there second mint.

WE NEED A DESIGN!!!!

Lets get this going.

Pepper

Jon if I'm out of line let me know, my thought was to just make it a Washington State coin and keep is seperate from the organization.

I'm not sure that all cachers in the state are members of the WSGA, those are just my thoughts.

I like the idea of Rainer on back!

So who out there besides NavDog can do some desiging?

Pepper

I'm all for a Washington coin..

Rainier would look good.

I'm not all that creative, but I will start the design. How about ROUND. :D

WSGA ?? Is it still alive? I look in on their web site once and a while, but I don't see any activity. :D

Go for it Pepper.

Shoknaw

I'm all for a Washington coin..

Rainier would look good.

I'm not all that creative, but I will start the design. How about ROUND. :D

WSGA ?? Is it still alive? I look in on their web site once and a while, but I don't see any activity. :)

Go for it Pepper.

Shoknaw

A round coin is a great place to start! :D

Pepper

Hi all... I'm new to geocaching but I'm all for chipping in on a Washington coin.

I have to agree with Team SG and Shoknaw though... I've looked at the WSGA site as I was interested in finding a local chapter. The site doesn't look like it's been updated since 2003 (at least there doesn't appear to have been any meeting minutes posted). I've been hesitant to sign up without knowing if it's still an active organization.

But hey... this is about a WA geocoin... where do I sign up?!?!?!?

I would love to see a Washington State GeoCoin. Would those in Eastern WA be put off if Mt Rainer were on it? I love Rainer; I think it is very symbolic of our state. Being as how I am a western WA gal though, is Rainer cool for the entire state? And what about the other side? a GPS? The Geocaching website logo? What is a start up cost? Does a core group all go in on it? Whew.... so many questions!

Great idea Pepper!

I would love to see a Washington State GeoCoin. Would those in Eastern WA be put off if Mt Rainer were on it? I love Rainer; I think it is very symbolic of our state. Being as how I am a western WA gal though, is Rainer cool for the entire state? And what about the other side? a GPS? The Geocaching website logo? What is a start up cost? Does a core group all go in on it? Whew.... so many questions!

Great idea Pepper!

G & B those are all good questions and that's why it's on this forum so we as a group (the whole state) can hash out all of the details. It may take a bit to get it organized but in the end I think we will all be happy.

M10B and I both got our coins made at the same place and I'm pleased with there work and price.

I will make a call tomorrow and get updated price lists and post it here, or Jon could do the same.

Pepper

I think Rainier on one side of the coin would be great. As I'm typing this I am looking at Alabama's beautiful coin. Their geocaching association, the AGA, is prominent on both sides of their coin. It's the size and weight of a Version 1 Moun10Bike coin.

Great idea Pepper!

Well, Washington is the evergreen state. Thus my username so how about evergreen trees in color with the cascades in the backdrop.

I agree that Rainier is largely westside so we should make it more suitable to state wide. We could set a vote on this though andn see what happens.

Washington State how many of you out there think it's a good time to get a coin for our state?

I for one think it's high time.

I watched CA State coin unfold on the forum and they are already going into there second mint.

WE NEED A DESIGN!!!!

Lets get this going.

Pepper

Beleive it or not, I brought up this very question around the campfire at the WSGA Campout this last weekend. Everyone seemed to like the idea, but thats as far as the discussion went.

I would love to see a Washington Coin.

Jon if I'm out of line let me know, my thought was to just make it a Washington State coin and keep is seperate from the organization.

I'm not sure that all cachers in the state are members of the WSGA, those are just my thoughts.

I like the idea of Rainer on back!

So who out there besides NavDog can do some desiging?

Pepper

Again I agree, keep it Washington State. Leave WSGA out. Nothing mjuch has happened with that lately it seems.

Rainier can be seen from a surprizingly large section of E Washington.

How about the outline of the state on one side - make it easy see where it's from...

We are the 'Evergreen State' so shouldn't be made out of evergreens? :) And, EGH, I know you want 'in' on this, but that would be asking a little too much... :D

Hey, if we can afford it how about a 3 sided coin? :D:D:D

Rainer and an Evergreen on one side and and yes the out line of the state on the other.

Or maybe Ranier on one side the out line of the state on the other with an Evergreen.

I really like the idea of an Evergreen someswhere on the coin. Trees and Mountains are the main reason we picked this state. :D

Ohhh so many good choices.

Are they going to be numbered?

Pepper

Rainer and an Evergreen on one side and and yes the out line of the state on the other.

Or maybe Ranier on one side the out line of the state on the other with an Evergreen.

I really like the idea of an Evergreen someswhere on the coin. Trees and Mountains are the main reason we picked this state. :)

Pepper

:D Hey Pepper! If you put an Evergreen(hiker!) on one side can you put a weenie dog too? :D

I really like the idea of an Evergreen someswhere on the coin.  Trees and Mountains are the main reason we picked this state. :)

Pepper

:D Hey Pepper! If you put an Evergreen(hiker!) on one side can you put a weenie dog too? :D

No, no, no! We all know what dogs like to do on trees! :D

Outline of the state on one side yes, but Oregon has a tree with theirs already. Maybe a profile of George or a GPS (Garmin of course :) )

Mountain on the other side with a tree. a river.. a salmon jumping.... :D an Eagle yah an Eagle somewhere. :D

Witty sayings. hmm..

.We love frogs. :D

..Hiedi lives here. (flag to point out house) :D

...It isn't about the numbers. :D

Oh Almost forgot to vote yes on numbering.

Shoknaw

Quote:

Maybe a profile of George ...

...an Eagle yah an Eagle somewhere.

I have a limited quantity of these exact coins!

They are just a bit smaller than many of the regular geocoins I've seen (about the size of a quarter) and will fit in many of the popular smaller caches!

Only $1.49 each plus reasonable shipping.

Place your order now!

I've seen those, Kfam. Very nice. The eagle on the back of the coin is incredibly detailed. And unlike the Oregon geocoin, it's silver colored and doesn't seem to tarnish as easily. I know I've seen them in some of the microcaches around here not too long ago.

But $1.49? I've know where I can get them, and would sell them for a buck apiece. There's not a lot of space for numbering, though. Maybe on George's forehead. That'd cost extra.

I would love to see a Washington State GeoCoin. Would those in Eastern WA be put off if Mt Rainer were on it?

We could put a picture of Mt. St. Helens on it. There's a good portion of the mountain in Eastern Washington.

I like the idea of the state outline on it. Maybe even include "Home of geocaching.com".

We could put a picture of Mt. St. Helens on it. There's a good portion of the mountain in Eastern Washington.

LOL! :unsure::unsure::tired:

Maybe we could borrow a quote from the old (very, very old) 'We Love Rain Society': "To rain wash the world and keep wonderful Washington's image wet to discourge crowds".

Another design idea to toss into the mix: An apple.

That might get confused with Peppers coins (I know, they're peppers - not that easy to tell a part in outline).

But $1.49? I've know where I can get them, and would sell them for a buck apiece. There's not a lot of space for numbering, though. Maybe on George's forehead. That'd cost extra.

Actually, these coins ARE numbered chronologically. You're right about the price being a tad high.

For my Geocaching friends only.... $1.00 apiece. Includes shipping

D & R Military Specialties

”Serving With Honor and Integrity”

Home Page: www.militaryspecialties.com

Rick McCallum

1280 W. Paseo Del Compadre

Sahuarita, AZ 85629

520-399-1527

COMMEMORATIVE COINS

Thank you for selecting D & R Military Specialties when ordering coins for your Geocachers. We offer a variety of choices and services when planning your coin such as:

Epoxy Painting

Enamel Painting

Diamond Cut Edging

This is what excellent service means to you:

20-30 Day Delivery

Free Design of Coin

Listed are current prices on 1 ½ inch personalized coins.

Type of Coin Quantities/Pricing

100-299 300-499 500-699 700-999

Antique Brass $2.80 $2.75 $2.65 $2.55

Antique Silver $3.20 $3.15 $3.05 $2.95

Antique Gold $3.30 $3.25 $3.15 $3.05

Gold Plated $3.20 $3.15 $3.05 $2.95

Nickel $2.70 $2.65 $2.55 $2.45

Epoxy painted coins are an additional $.50 per side.

Enamel painted coins are an additional $.35 per side.

Diamond Cut Edges are an additional $.50 per side.

1 ¾ Inch coins are $.50 more than the above prices.

2 Inch Coins are $1.00 more than the above prices.

One Time Die Charge is $50.00 per side for 1 ½ inch coins.

Shipping is $150.00 per 500 1 ½ inch coins.

We appreciate the Washington State Geocacher’s support of our company! For this reason we would like to

to offer a 15% discount on the coins and options listed above. (die charges and shipping already reflect my cost as Pepper drives a hard bargain ; )

So there it is folks!

Pepper

Edited by Team SuperGenius

So if we ordered 500 of any of the above coins, it would add $.50/coin? So the Antique silver, for instance, would be $3.55 each? I would still get a few, but not a lot at that price. They would make great FTF's, but the price would prohibit my ordering as many as I would like.

Sorry, I missed the 15% discount. Net price on the above coin that I was talking about would then be $3.02?

Edited by Gizmo & Brazin
$150 for shipping 500 coins?

Isn't that a little high? These things can't weigh that much!

Uhhh....I'll have to get with Rick on that one, I think I paid sixty dollars for shipping on my order of 100 coins!

If i'm not mistaken Rick said it's .35 shipping per coin.

The coins are top quaility!

WE NEED A DESIGN!!!

Pepper

Was the cost of numbering the coins discussed?

What about the idea of smallest blank area the people could have engraved to personalize the coins?

To paraphrase an old joke at Boeing: How about a Rainier plane fly above Mt Boeing?

Let's see, we've had geography (Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens), people (George), fish (salmon), birds (eagle), plants (evergreen, apple), building/structure (Grand Coulee Dam), what are we missing... Ah - Space Needle, totem pole, floating bridges, hydroplanes, rhododendron. Hey, maybe we should make it a plaque so we can fit it all on!

Jester I was just checking the price quote and I don't see where Rick put in the cost of numbering and I don't remember how much the cost was on that, I numbered my own coins.

Well actuall I didn't number them Mr. Team IAG did the numbering for me (GREAT GUY)!

If we had them numbered who would carrie the site for tracking. Maaaybe somedody could talk to Jeremy his site does tracking and it's already in place. :unsure:

Love the idea for a blank bar on the coin for personalizing!.

Conejo Cahers have a personalized bar on there coins and it's nice.

Pepper

Jester I was just checking the price quote and I don't see where Rick put in the cost of numbering and I don't remember how much the cost was on that, I numbered my own coins.

Well actuall I didn't number them Mr. Team IAG did the numbering for me (GREAT GUY)!

If we had them numbered who would carrie the site for tracking. Maaaybe somedody could talk to Jeremy his site does tracking and it's already in place. :unsure:

Love the idea for a blank bar on the coin for personalizing!.

Conejo Cahers have a personalized bar on there coins and it's nice.

Pepper

Got lucky and got one of thoe Conejo coins earlier this spring at a cache in Seattle...I believe Cgal was first finder of that cache...came all the way from the coast.

Got lucky and got one of thoe Conejo coins earlier this spring at a cache in Seattle...I believe Cgal was first finder of that cache...came all the way from the coast.

Well, somebody had to find that dadgum thing!

While I didn't manage to find a cool geocoin, I did get yelled at by some delusional, half-wit wandering through the park. Was glad I had a manly man with me that day.

:blink:

Pepper emailed me and asked if I would draw up something to help visualize a few ideas that you guys have been talking about so far. There is obviously room on the state outline side of the coin for some wording also. Permission for logo usage would obviously have to be granted.

ws-coin-1.jpg

Pepper emailed me and asked if I would draw up something to help visualize a few ideas that you guys have been talking about so far. There is obviously room on the state outline side of the coin for some wording also. Permission for logo usage would obviously have to be granted.

ws-coin-1.jpg

How about a blank bar across the top of the state so folks can personalize the coin to there liking.

Me personally I like the front side the back (state side) is shaping up but needs work and cleaver wording. So far it's great at least we have a good starting point.

Pepper

Edited by Team SuperGenius
You all should put a "*" or something like it at the location of the very first cache on that coin (make it subtle - perhaps a dot or something - not big & tacky). If memory serves me correctly, wasn't the first cache in Washington?

Jif

If you're talking about Ulmer's first cache, then THIS is the official "first" cache. It's located in Oregon, near Estacada I believe.

But if you're talking about GC0001 (I may not have the GC# correct)as the first registered cache on GC.com, then I think you're right. Wasn't that a cache in some bunker up near Port Townsend (since been archived I believe)?

Edited by Touchstone
You all should put a "*" or something like it at the location of the very first cache on that coin (make it subtle - perhaps a dot or something - not big & tacky). If memory serves me correctly, wasn't the first cache in Washington?

Jif

Ya HEY! Oregon is the birthplace of geocaching!

Hey, I think that design is awesome. Just a thought though. If you use the service that Oregon, California, Texas..... used, you can use the die for one side for free. It isn't as cool I don't think but then it brings the price down to like $2.25 a coin which would mean people ordering more coins and getting more into caches.

I'll order a few the way it is, but I'm not putting any $3.75 coin in a cache unless it's for FTF.