By the mile or the foot?

purring alien

I have a question I can't find an answer for on my own, I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I read so many posts where finders speak of being so many feet from a cache, but my GPS doesn't measure by feet. It's a Magellan 315 and it shows mileage I think. The closest it has put me was 0.01, and I didn't find the catch. I have no idea how far that is from the catch. Are your GPS's actually measuring feet? Or are they measuring like mine and you are figuring it out in your head? Because when I signed up for this sport nobody said there would be math. :-)

quote:
Originally posted by team travel pig:

metres and kilometres... so much easier math... will this country EVER go metric?

who's got the pig?

Only the drug dealers really understand metric.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:

metres and kilometres... so much easier math... will this country EVER go metric?

who's got the pig?

We did go metric in my job. Everyone whined so much that we went back. Then it became a job just to keep track of which job was supposed to be metric and which was english.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

quote:

who's got the pig?

We did go metric in my job. Everyone whined so much that we went back. Then it became a job just to keep track of which job was supposed to be metric and which was english.

Let's use a REAL system of measurement

Furlongs and cubits.

===========================================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

feet, miles, kilometers...

what i REALLY want to add is that it's pronounced "cash" as opposed to "catch" or even "cashay", which i have heard more often than i like.

i'm assuiming that you are new and will benefit from this information. welcome aboard.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

mopar's comment will work. I have a 315 that originally only displayed .01 mile like yours. Just go to the Magellan webpage, and download the latest software patch for the 315 - version 3.15 I believe. Upload that file into your GPS per the instructions (hopefully you have a cable to sync your gps with your computer), and it should display in feet.

You can tell what software version your 315 is running, on the screen that flashes briefly after you turn it on and hit enter.

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

feet, miles, kilometers...

what i REALLY want to add is that it's pronounced "cash" as opposed to "catch" or even "cashay", which i have heard more often than i like.

The week before we started geocaching my daughter had cache (cashay) as a vocabulary word in school so tells me I'm wrong when I say cash. Don't think I would ever have tried this sport if they pronounced it geocachaying icon_razz.gif

From Merriam-Webster:

cache

Pronunciation: kash

Function: noun

Etymology: French, from cacher to press, hide, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin coacticare to press together.

Date: 1797

1 a : a hiding place especially for concealing and preserving provisions or implements b : a secure place of storage.....blah, blah, blah

I think the word that is pronounced cachay is cachet, which has an entirely different meaning.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Way too big. We measure in Angstroms where I work. (BTW, I make logic and memory chips at Intel)

Wow, and I though I had it tough trying to position things on the sub-micrometer level. Down there at the angstrom level you're dealing with individual molecules. I didn't realize that you built circuits one molecule ar a time. icon_wink.gif

For those that are unfamiliar with the terms, a micrometer is one millionth of a meter and an angstrom is one 10 billionth of a meter.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.