Improved Export From Gsak To Memory Map

roolku

That's not an icon problem. Can you email me the file? It looks like there's a cache with a character that the app doesn't like.

Or look at line 6434 of babel.gpx and see which it is yourself. Bear in mind that if you've restarted GSAK the file will have been deleted so you may need to try the SAME export again.

That's not an icon problem. Can you email me the file? It looks like there's a cache with a character that the app doesn't like.

Or look at line 6434 of babel.gpx and see which it is yourself. Bear in mind that if you've restarted GSAK the file will have been deleted so you may need to try the SAME export again.

Thanks for the fast reply.

There isn't a line 6434 in babel.gpx - at leat there isn't when I load it into GSAK - it only goes up to line 2164.

I'm now not getting the .csv file either - so I can't email it to you :o

civilised

With many thanks to rutson, I've now narrowed the problem down to a group of caches between 9 - 10 miles away from me -

35be9a1e-56e0-49d3-90bc-c7c959be4b34.jpg

I can get caches up to 9 miles and from 10 - 50 miles, but something within the group shown is causing the export to fail.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks

civilised

I've just exported all those caches pictured using my version of the Roolku custom script without any problems. Have you tried the GSAK Repair/Defrag option under the Database menu?

I can get caches up to 9 miles and from 10 - 50 miles, but something within the group shown is causing the export to fail.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

I have had this issue once before. Whilst I never figured out the cause, I simply narrowed it down to a group of caches like you have done, then I downlaoded new individual GPX files for each cache. That seemed to fix it.

T

I just get a error

cmate:TRM788

cannot find 'cmate:TRM788' ( or one of its components). make sure the path and filename are correct and all the required libraries are available.

HELP!

still getting this problem after I gave up trying the last time, could it be that memory map is installed on the storage card and cachemate on the ipaq?

the waypoint codes match between the two programs so I can't see a problem there?

I just get a error

cmate:TRM788

cannot find 'cmate:TRM788' ( or one of its components). make sure the path and filename are correct and all the required libraries are available.

HELP!

still getting this problem after I gave up trying the last time, could it be that memory map is installed on the storage card and cachemate on the ipaq?

the waypoint codes match between the two programs so I can't see a problem there?

This is how mine is so no problem there.

Simon

Tried this out - and it works great.

One question. I know I shouldn't ask... but...

How do I get the hints (Gsak=%hint) to show up in memory map properties comments. currently something like 'TSNDXN' comes up. I can get hint into the full pop up name, but want it in the properties->comments instead.

Not that I ever use the hints (grin)

Also, I had to put ", into the "problem characters remove from description" as some of the names have commas in them and messed up the columns in the csv

I am using lordelphs icons - work great.

thanks for this great script

Edited by bouton

This script seems to be an important piece of code,so would someone be able to make it available for us all please?

Following this immense post is really doing my head in.I'm starting to think that paper caching is the way to do it after all..................

A nice and easy "how to" would ideally be the right way to do things.

Any takers?

As an additional hint with this process, if when you import your PQ's to GSAK, you tick the box: -

'How to handle the "additional" Geocaching.com waypoints'

to be

'As normal waypoint'

when you export them to Memory Map you will also get all the additional waypoints for each cache. These default to whatever Icon 1 is defined as (A little yellow house in my case).

Cheers

J

I've done it :D

I have been trying to get my head around this thread for weeks

and have been re downloading files and all along i needed to change two letters around to make the file extention .csv instead of whatever i pasted in in the first place :D

if a brain box out there has any spare time haha :D

could they consider making an idiots guide to the info contained in this thread

My next ambition is to get the relevant info displayed when i click the icon on mm

I'm currently using a set of alternative icons with memory map on my PDA (mio a201) and have found that pocket navigator will only display the first 14 user defined icons that are defined in the csv overlay file, any others all display as the default "blue dot". Anybody else seen this or know of a workround for it.

I'm currently using a set of alternative icons with memory map on my PDA (mio a201) and have found that pocket navigator will only display the first 14 user defined icons that are defined in the csv overlay file, any others all display as the default "blue dot". Anybody else seen this or know of a workround for it.

I had to delete all the existing icons from mm before my custom ones would load as there is a maximum amount you can have

Unfortunately I am already deleting the existing icons. I can get many more than 14 to display on the PC, it's only when the overlay is transferred to the PDA that the blue dots appear.

the only other thing I can think of is do a soft reboot, Mine came up with blue dots when i transfered the data but the next day when i turned it on the icons were there. if that doesn't work reread this thread as i managed to sort mine out somehow using the info contained in this thread.

I've been trying to use this mechanism but memory-map keeps putting it's oar in. If I import an overlay file into memory-map in which the link entry "cmate:GCABCD" is present everything appeares ok, but by the time the overlay has been exported to the PDA, memory-map has converted the entry it to an absolute path "C:\blah\blah\cmate:GCABCD". Still trying to find a workround for this. <_<<_<:(

Version 1.1.1 of cachemate now works around this. If you give Memory Map a link of "\cmate:GCABCD" it will not have the path appended to it, and cachemate now strips the backslash off it. :anibad:

Is it me or has Version 1.2.2 Stoped striping the the '\' off the command line. or is the the verion of PPC 2002 thats causing the problem.

I've been trying to use this mechanism but memory-map keeps putting it's oar in. If I import an overlay file into memory-map in which the link entry "cmate:GCABCD" is present everything appeares ok, but by the time the overlay has been exported to the PDA, memory-map has converted the entry it to an absolute path "C:\blah\blah\cmate:GCABCD". Still trying to find a workround for this. <_<:(:(

Version 1.1.1 of cachemate now works around this. If you give Memory Map a link of "\cmate:GCABCD" it will not have the path appended to it, and cachemate now strips the backslash off it. :anibad:

Is it me or has Version 1.2.2 Stoped striping the the '\' off the command line. or is the the verion of PPC 2002 thats causing the problem.

I could never get the cache pages to appear on a 2002 PPC, just updated my ipaq to 2003 and it works no problem

so I think you can't link memory map and cachmate on a 2002 PPC <_<

I've been trying to use this mechanism but memory-map keeps putting it's oar in. If I import an overlay file into memory-map in which the link entry "cmate:GCABCD" is present everything appeares ok, but by the time the overlay has been exported to the PDA, memory-map has converted the entry it to an absolute path "C:\blah\blah\cmate:GCABCD". Still trying to find a workround for this. :D:D:D

Version 1.1.1 of cachemate now works around this. If you give Memory Map a link of "\cmate:GCABCD" it will not have the path appended to it, and cachemate now strips the backslash off it. :D

I could never get the cache pages to appear on a 2002 PPC, just updated my ipaq to 2003 and it works no problem

so I think you can't link memory map and cachmate on a 2002 PPC :)

I have been playing with a simple script through nscriptm to open the file and it would appear that the MM does not support passing paramaters to a fil and if there is a space they are treated as seperate files. It looks like ppc2003 validay if the files are existing returns an error. It might be possable to get it to work using separate files in the directory to link to work.

Alot of messing around though unless anybody as any other idears to try.. unfortantley updateing the firware for the iPaq 3950 seems to be out..

I'll carry on trying idear and let you know if i suceed. as it migh be. of use for the PPC2002 Owners.

Adrian

Yes - I'm running GSAK 7 on Windows Vista and it runs the full MM custom export with nice icons perfectly.

I did have to do a few slight tweaks over what I had in GSAK v6:

1) Follow Clyde's post (the one with screenshots) on this thread - http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=4007&hl=babel - to create a GPX export to save babel.gpx and save this.

2) In the Custom export dialog, tick the Generate GPX file before export box and select your saved GPX export settings from 1) above.

3) I had a permission issue on c:\program files\GSAK\babel.bat which was fixed by deleting this file in Windows Explorer.

I know its early days yet but has anyone used this macro with the new release GSAK v7.

I don't want to upgrade and find that I have broken one of the most useful macros that I use.

Cheers.

Here is the score:

having spent weeks going through this thread previously and getting the MM export to work perfectly, different icons, including the motorway mayhem ones on the map with a link to the exported HTML files, all in all perfect.

Upgrade to GSAK 7 and, oh dear, the export doesn't work.

To save me the anguish of the previous hunt can one of you clever IT peeps post the idiots guide on how to replicate the process for the latest GSAK release?

Here is the score:

having spent weeks going through this thread previously and getting the MM export to work perfectly, different icons, including the motorway mayhem ones on the map with a link to the exported HTML files, all in all perfect.

Upgrade to GSAK 7 and, oh dear, the export doesn't work.

To save me the anguish of the previous hunt can one of you clever IT peeps post the idiots guide on how to replicate the process for the latest GSAK release?

Works for me and I didn't have to do anything different in V7 than in V6. Did you install V7 into the same directory as V6 or into a new different one? If different you need to make sure you move across the icons, the batch file, the msxsl.exe utility and the xsl script. Pretty much eveything you had to do to the original installation will need re-doing to the new one.

What error or sympton are you getting?

J

I know its early days yet but has anyone used this macro with the new release GSAK v7.

I don't want to upgrade and find that I have broken one of the most useful macros that I use.

Cheers.

No major probs..just make sure you do what PUP says below.....

This should fix it...

File > Export > GPX/LOC File

You want to make the file :

C:\Program Files\GSAK\Temp\Babel.gpx

This only needs doing once.

Whilst the Roolku script that we all use for our custom exports from GSAK to Memory Map gives us the ability to send a great variety of icons, how often do you need to see where all the caches are that you own or have found etc? I don't really take much notice of whether an icon shows a TB in residence either.

I have the export set up just in case I want to see where all the caches are that I have found/own for nostalgic reasons but I now use a selection of the custom icons along with the "Memory Map export selectable from the <File> <Export> menu in GSAK.

This new way of working allows for the export to Memory Map of the associated child waypoints such as "Parking" which shows up as a car icon and "Stages of a Multicache" for which I use a red flag.

The cache icons link to the HTML pages just as they did with the "custom export" and in fact so do the child waypoint icons.

Sorting out the way GSAK and MM reference each icon took a bit of messing about but now I have it sussed it's great!

One of the benefits of upgrading to V7 is that the exports name the icons and HTML files using the Groundspeak waypoint codes rather than just the number order from the filter.

This has the benefit that they will always reference the correct page even if the two exports were created from slightly different filters.

Cheers

Dave

Okay, just checked that all the icons and the script is still in place in the GSAK program folder.

Going to file, custom export and running the previous script I get the error message, the temp\babel.gpx file is missing.

exploring the GSAK progam file there is no MSXL folder there, help again please!

You need to put a copy of MSXSL in the GSAK program folder.

Also a copy of your script in there.

Then create a file called BABEL.GPX in the temp folder (just rename any old GPX file and copy it over)

If that doesnt work then its your string in the File > Custom Export gubbins.

[snip]

Whilst the Roolku script that we all use for our custom exports from GSAK to Memory Map gives us the ability to send a great variety of icons, how often do you need to see where all the caches are that you own or have found etc? I don't really take much notice of whether an icon shows a TB in residence either.

I have the export set up just in case I want to see where all the caches are that I have found/own for nostalgic reasons but I now use a selection of the custom icons along with the "Memory Map export selectable from the <File> <Export> menu in GSAK.

This new way of working allows for the export to Memory Map of the associated child waypoints such as "Parking" which shows up as a car icon and "Stages of a Multicache" for which I use a red flag.

The cache icons link to the HTML pages just as they did with the "custom export" and in fact so do the child waypoint icons.

Sorting out the way GSAK and MM reference each icon took a bit of messing about but now I have it sussed it's great!

[snip]

I have had the GSAK-only method running for some time now (since late version 6), no more messing with MSXSL.

GSAK can manage the icons by type and found status using the internal menus, and also enable the TB spot (in LE's icons) with a macro.

My configuration (customised to allow for trigpoints, uk benchmarks, and flush brackets) is here. It doesn't have TB support, or much documentation, but it works. If someone asks, I may consider adding it to the macro, and releasing more 'officially'.

I'm running GSAK 6.6.4 i have followed the instructions with no problem until this stage

in GASK open "File/Export/GPSBabel custom export" and put the following line in the box that says "GPSBabel statement ..." (you might want to adapt the output path to your requirement)

msxsl temp\babel.gpx mxf.xsl -o d:\geocache.mxf

There is no "GPSBabel Custom Export" Option, just a "Custom Export" Option

I tried the "Custom Export" option but under that section the is no "GPSBabel Statement" box

any help appreciated

Cheers

Andy