Just bought my first GPSr. Thoughts?

boss_frog

Hi. I'm new to this whole geocaching thing. It started Wednesday when my bro and I went scouting in the woods for deer sign. We found an area about 1/4 acre where there were 7-8 nice rubs. We were pretty deep in the woods and wished we could mark the spot and that's when I decided I needed a GPSr. So I'm reading about it all and some guy mentioned www.geocaching.com. So, my wife and I decided to get in on it.

Started looking on ebay and was watching about 15 units. Later, when I went back and looked, I noticed that one was about 12 minutes from being over. It was a GlobalMap 100. I did some quick (and I mean quick) research on it and decided to bid. I ended up getting it for $61. How well will this unit serve me. Did I screw up? I could have gotten a Garmin 12 for $110.

Thoughts please?

I know of 1 local cacher here that uses that unit and it appears to be very accurate. There was one time we met at a survey cap/monument and his lowrance zeroed in on the published coordinates while my Garmin Legend then was off by a few meters. He also found another brass cap after that which I haven't found yet after 2 tries with my Garmin GPS V icon_smile.gif

Well... sounds like I got my $61 worth. I'm very relieved now that I didn't jump at something that wasn't up to today's standards. I read later that it was about a 5 or 6 year old unit and I was a bit worried that I'd made a mistake. Now all I need is a data cable and a cig lighter adapter.

BTW... a guy at work offered to give me his eTrex Venture for it. Should I pass? I'm thinking I'll pass.

quote:
I read later that it was about a 5 or 6 year old unit ....... a guy at work offered to give me his eTrex Venture for it. Should I pass? I'm thinking I'll pass.

5-6 years old? Is it a 12 channel receiver? If not I'd jump on the Venture in a minute.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
I read later that it was about a 5 or 6 year old unit ....... a guy at work offered to give me his eTrex Venture for it. Should I pass? I'm thinking I'll pass.

5-6 years old? Is it a 12 channel receiver? If not I'd jump on the Venture in a minute.

_"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm_

Yes, it's 12 channel and from everything I've read has excellent acquisition times even in heavy cover.