Yep...another Noob Question

Whizzn

Hi All;

I'm new to geocaching. When reading the forum, I see numerous mentions of archived caches. I've searched the various FAQ's for a definition of this and can't find it.

It appears to be caches that are not any good (for some reason). If a cache is archived, does that mean that I couldn't look those up and still go there if I wanted too?

If a cache is bad and is archived, why wouldn't it just be deleted from the web site?

Thanks in advance for your time in teaching me about this fun sport.

Whizzn

An archived cache is "stricken through" with a line through the name, and then it disappears from the list. I archived one so that I could change it into a multi-cache, and both appear on my personal list, but the archived one is stricken. Both count toward my total # of caches. Then I learned to contact the approver at the bottom of the page, and he changed another one for me into a multi-cache so I never archived that one.

Archived caches, for a few days, can be visited, but the owner is to remove the cache. It probably was archived due to lack of attention, and that may mean that someone else will be asked to remove it. If it is archived because of a rule violation, like "private property," then the owner can correct that. It can be unarchived.

Yes you could go there if you wanted to but, more than likely, the cache won't be there. Caches get archived for a variety of reasons, such as the cache was stolen, the owner found out it was on private property and was asked to remove it, the cache is no longer in a safe area, the cache owner quit the game, etc.

I have had to archive a couple of my own caches. One was because the cache went MIA so, instead of replacing the cache in the same area, I archived the cache and put a new one in the area about 100 feet away (in a better hiding spot). Another one was archived because the non-cacher factor was too high (I knew it was only a matter of time before a non-cacher found it and took it. Rather than risk it, I archived the cache and moved the cache to a new location across town).

If you find a cache that is active and then, later on, it gets archived. It will still count towards your finds and you will still be able to view the cache from your 'my cache page'.

An "archived" cache simply means a cache has been permanently disabled for one reason or another.

Reasons include:

(1) The cache has been muggled - A non geocacher finds the caches and steals or destroys it.

(2) The cache has been denied by the geocaching approvers - Something with the planning or placement of the cache directly conflicts with the rules of geocaching.com.

(3) The owner decides he wants to remove it - Either the owner is moving, cant take care of it, decides the cache is not worth the effort, or has bigger plans for that spot.

(4) The cache is abandoned - The owner "drops" out of geocaching and no longer cares for the cache. The cache becomes under a state of disrepair and a geocaching Admin decides archive it.

Archived caches, ninety-nine percent of the time, have been removed by the owner, a fellow geocacher, or have gone missing. You may visit the area yes, but you most likely will not find a cache.

Essentially, these cache is removed from the website searches. However, they are not removed completely for history's sake.

Do not get the term "archive" confused with "temporarily disabled." Disabled means whatever the problem with the cache, rather than letting it be archived, the owner of the cache wants to fix the problem and it will soon be available again.

Both archived caches and disabled caches have a lines through their name when you do a search.

Edited by Nappy10