Using Mapsource Metroguide

I drove down to Ocean City, NJ, a few weeks ago and used my 60cs (with Metroguide USA maps uploaded) to navigate the route. It worked perfectly, until I had to turn off of the highway onto smaller roads closer to the beach. It seems as though the 60cs won't recognize smaller roads for routing? As soon as I got off of the highway, the highlighted line changed into a "as the crow flies" line to my destination. Is there any option somewhere to get it to recognize non-highway roads?

MetroGuide 5 does not autoroute on the GPSr. With MetroGuide 5, you need to do the routing on the computer and then upload the route to the GPSr. If you want to do autorouting on the GPSr then you need to get City Select (best place is Amazon.com).

You were able to get a partial autoroute because it was the GPSr's basemap that did the autorouting - But the basemap does not have much map detail, so it could only do a poor job of it.

The MetroGuides won't auto-route on the GPS (unless you are using the older version 4.01 MetroGuide that is). More than likely, you were just auto-routing from the 60C's built-in basemaps and once you hit the smaller streets (that aren't covered by the built-in basemaps), the unit wan't able to continue auto-routing any more.

If you want to auto-route everyware, then you need to pick up a copy of City Select. The latest version of City Select (i.e. version 6.00 - 2004) just came out and it should have coverage for all of the smaller streets you are driving on I would imagine (if you buy a copy of version 5 now, Garmin will upgrade you to version 6 for free).

Note that you could also use City Navigator (and the older MetroGuide 4.01) for auto-routing on the 60C, but Garmin doesn't recommend it.

I hope this helps some...

With MetroGuide 5, you need to do the routing on the computer and then upload the route to the GPSr.

OK, I tried what you said: to make the route on the computer and then upload it to the GPS. It looked like a nice route on the pc, it followed the highways as well as the rural roads. But when I drove the actual route, as soon as I exited the highway, my gps didn't follow the rural roads. I guess I might have to buy CitySelect? :P

With MetroGuide 5, you need to do the routing on the computer and then upload the route to the GPSr.

OK, I tried what you said: to make the route on the computer and then upload it to the GPS. It looked like a nice route on the pc, it followed the highways as well as the rural roads. But when I drove the actual route, as soon as I exited the highway, my gps didn't follow the rural roads. I guess I might have to buy CitySelect? :D

When you were driving the uploaded route, was it a straight line from major intersection to major intersection?

My Legend did that, and so did my eMap. I found a setting on my eMap in the "Map Setup" page. There's a "Line" category with settings for "Saved Tracks", "Track Log", and "Route Line". I changed the "Route Line" setting from "Auto" to the minimum setting of "120 Ft" and my uploaded routes then conformed to the roads along the route.

Looking at a Legend, I do not see this particular setting anywhere in the "Map Setup" page. I know that the Legend can be setup to show the routes conforming to the roads, but I cannot find it to save my life right now and I gotta git up early in the morning for a road trip (takin' my 60C with City Select :D ).

As for the 60C and MetroGuide 5 route conformity, I remember a discussion thread about it 4 or 5 months ago - shortly after they came out. I think it was decided that someone should contact Garmin on the matter and I don't recall seeing any follow-up.

But if you play with the "Map Setup" page settings, you might get lucky like I did with my eMap. Someone with a Legend might know what setting needs to be changed.

Even if you do get the uploaded MG5 routes to work right, I still highly recommend City Select. Autorouting on the fly is such a powerful feature! Now that I've been using it for 6 months, I honestly don't remember how I lived without it!!! :)

Sorry - wish I could put more effort into the matter, but I gotta go. L8R G8Rs!

Edited by Neo_Geo