Waypoints

Guest auximage

Guest auximage

I have a question regarding waypoints. I understand what a waypoint is, but for instance, on a cache posted on this site it states:

State: Georgia

Hidden on: 10/15/00

Use Waypoint: GC89

What does it mean by Use Waypoint: GC89?

I just purchased my GPS, and can't wait to place some cache's in my area. I wanted to know about this before I did so though, so that I can properly post the information. Thanks!

When you enter a waypoint, you are only allowed 6 characters for the name (at least in most receivers). I use "GC" for geocaching (so you can tell on your GPS unit). The second part is a code for a number which allows me to create over 65000 waypoints without going past 4 characters.

Once it's entered into your gps unit, you can come back to the site and enter in the waypoint on the seek page. It will automagically take you to the right geocache.

Jeremy

Guest auximage

Thanks a bunch. I am getting a couple of people together for this weekend, and going to hide a cache in my area. This website sparked my interest so much that I went out and bought a GPS at 2:30am at walmart, just so I could be a part of this! I only hope there are people in this area that are interested in this type of thing. I was also going to go to the local outdoorsman/sporting stores and see if they had a bulletin board so that I could post information on this website and the potential fun that some GPS owners in this area are missing out on! Thanks again for the quick response to my question. And keep an eye out for a lot of cache's springing up in the SE TN area! I know a bunch of great hiking and scenic areas around the Chattanooga and SE TN region..