Solo Geocaching?

Depends on your demeanor. Yes, I geocache, hike, climb big mountains, canoe, and kayak, alone often. Is it safe? Is it smart? Is life safe? Maybe not, but it is my choice, and I am responsible for my own actions. If I screw up I only have myself to blame. But I must say... doing it solo, for me, often adds to the adventure. I have no one to follow. I question myself a lot more. I gain a greater connection with what I am doing. If I hit a limit I back away.

I hike/geocache alone usually 50% of the time. Some of my longest cache finds were done alone. I remember hiking 13 miles round trip once in the scorching arizona heat in a desolate canyon with nothing but rocks nearby that made the area look like perfect mountain lion habitat...

From the little experience that I have, two things have always been #1 on my list of items to bring along...

1. Bring way more than enough water. If its hot out, I bring about 2 liters per 5 miles. Otherwise, its about 2 liters/8 miles. You can bring whatever you want, but always bring atleast 1.5 times what you know you will use.

2. Batteries! If its a day hike, I'll bring about 2 spare sets. If its an overnighter, I'll bring enough for what the GPS will use in a worst case scenario and multiply that by two.

Depending on how experienced you are with the outdoors, always bring more than enough stuff with you. It's easier to bring extra stuff than to forget it and be screwed. Also, depending on where you live, west coast or east coast, animal life could pose a threat (i.e. mountain lions, black bears, snakes, etc). You east coasters have it easy. :unsure:

Edited by vw_ev

I always enjoy having my other team mates go with me but sometimes our schedules get in the way. I go when I want to go and sometimes, that means going alone.

I am a female and I have never had any problems caching alone. Before I head for the cache, I check out the area and make a decision on if it will be safe.

There has only been one time when I was alone and didn't feel comfortable looking for the cache. I parked my car and the area looked okay. I started walking through the park and saw about 15 homeless people hanging out and drinking about 25 feet from the cache. I decided to go back to the car and try the cache on another day.

Just be aware of your surroundings and if something about the area doesn't look or 'feel' right, leave and come back some other time. Getting one more cache added to your numbers isn't worth it if you could be hurt or mugged. :unsure:

At the Beginning my Username was DNA, I was solo. Later on I changed it into team BUDA which was composed by BU(for Bunty) and DA(for Daniel) , this means that we were two guys caching around.

At this moment we are 5 guys, that use to cache around, sometimes alltogether, some times individually. It depends on which kind of cache you chose, and why you chose it.

In conclusion I just want to add, that walking in a group is much more fun that solo. But if you need some rest and want to be alone, GC in the great outdoors is ideal.

I cache alone most of the time as my girlfriend works and I do not :lol:

Most the caches I have been doing the past few months have been urban per my doctors request,

But I have done some long hikes alone in the past in area I am familar with, I always have water and extra gps a compass and a map and my cell phone and ham radio (The radio works in places the phone does not) also lots of batteries.

I also wear real hiking boots with ankle support and I also carry a pair on hiking sticks, I never thought I would use those sticks as much as I have when I bought them.

I just got the green light this week for some short hikes. But I still got to carry the Nitro for now. :unsure:

Edited by JohnnyVegas
little hand-held radios come in handy as well...and don't forget some matches for unplanned overnights!

And a flash light, around here if you start a fire you get a tour of the local jail-they just don't allow open camp fires in wilderness areas of Ca.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I usually end up caching by myself but that's normally b/c I desire the solitude. I am not adverse to caching with others but I really enjoying being by myself sometimes with nothing to do other than take in the scenery and hunt caches.

Caching alone is inherently less safe than with company. E.g. you could fall and break your leg, and then there's nobody to help you, etc. But that's OK, it even adds to the thrill of it. It's still a lot safer than a number of other hobbies, it's actually quite safe.

Harder caches are usually easier to find with company: you simply have more eyes and hands. But then there is a high chance it will not be you who actually finds the cache. Depending on your attitude and relationship with the other person you may feel disappointed. I know I prefer to find the caches myself.

I cache alone. Not by choice, per se, but because my husband works, and my teenaged son has usually been been busy (he leaves for Army boot camp in two weeks :P ). I'd love to share the caching experience with a close friend, or another avid cacher, but I don't know anyone locally. For me, the danger factor is probably higher than for most, so I have to be very judicious about what terrain I attempt.

100% solo cacher (so far) - with over 100 finds (just crossed the 100 mark 3 weeks ago).

Often 10-15 miles with lot's of elevation in one trip.

I turned around twice so far because the trail (or lack thereof) was not what I consider safe without a second person - I think I am careful enough to not risk anything.

I carry:

double the water that I expect to need (at least 4x16oz).

emergency blanket

emergency flashlight

regular cellphone

old high power analog cellphone (sometimes works when nothing else does)

second set of batteries

paper map

compass

second gps

I always let a friend know where I am going for the day and will check in when I get back home (or to the car) - if I don't check in by sunset then he'll know what to do...

I enjoy caching alone - I like the solitude.... Of course the right (caching)partner could change that :P