Citizen Geocacher

In what context? A forum user/poster is not the same as a geocacher.... granted one does both at this site (I hope) but someone who posts a lot (good/bad/indifferent) is not necessarily the same as someone who caches.

In a forum context, I'd say someone who has 'creds' is a poster who is always willing to help - Markwell is an obvious answer. In my experience briansnat has a good record this way as well... in spite of that horrendous squidmoth episode *shudder*

In a geocaching context - I guess that's the same answer you* gave for "Who is the top geocacher?"... I give credit to say, PonyBoy cuz he still finds time to cache in all the stuff he has to deal with. I give credit to anyone who takes their kids out to the forest and shows them that city life sti... er, the wodds are a wonderful place.

In the end, I guess I'm nopt sure what you are asking...

*edit - sorry I thought you posted in that RK. My bad...

Edited by New England n00b
around where I live the locals(cough* stoners) don't even notice cachers here cause we are always walking around talking about getting a better 'fix.'

Ah, K-falls everytime I think that I miss it. I'm reminded why I left it.

Back on topic; GPS in one hand, cache sheet in the other, geocap on head, crawling under a fir tree with a very confused, frustrated look on face. BTW, everyone else in the area can see the ammo can hidden in the pile of rocks.

Edited by Laserman

Credentials???

all I can tell you is about the first cacher that impressed me and made me feel like I belonged. At the time I had been around about a week and had no idea who he was.

I first met him when I had a request for help and some public domain files in Clay Jars Chat room. This person went out of their way to help me and send me several megs of the logs I wanted.

A few days later I had a stupid question, Not a newby "I don't know better" question, this one was just plain stupid. But this person took the time to explain it in a way that both answered it and did not make me feel like a total idiot.

Again a few days later I got some some words of wisdom about my manner's in the chat room. Nice helpful suggestions.

It was only later that I found out that this person was a high number cacher with a strange sense of humor (no its not criminal, things I learned from Criminal I cant say here.) So this person is one who I hold in highest regard because he took the time to help a new person and after I wasn't so new he picked on me like I was one of the gang. In other words from day one he made me feel like I belonged. to me That is a Cacher with Great credentials

I would tell you who it was but it would probably spoil his image.

But thanks just the same.

Edited by CO Admin

I don't start new threads, and don't ask alot of questions. There are so many active helpful cacher/posters on here who come to the aid of people. I have learned alot without having to start repetitive postings. These people are part of the structure of the forums, always eager to help others, answer questions, and go out of their way...the true Citizen Geocachers. Thanks, and no matter what, please keep up you campaign, you are helping more people then you even know.

edit for sucky punctuation :P

Edited by woof n lulu

I tend to put more value to the input of any cacher who tries to be helpful. There's lots of cachers with high find counts or lots of hides who do little to work with newbies or work with local park districts that support caching. Investing some time back into the hobby ups ones creditentials in my book.

Are we talking "credentials," "citizenship," or "credibility?"

Credentials that would give them credibility in your eyes when they have something to say about geocaching.

I guess a true citizen would be recognized by most members as someone with this credibilty.

What makes a geocacher credible?

Anyone who demonstrates a sincere interest in geocaching is credible in my book. :P

Are we talking "credentials," "citizenship," or "credibility?"

Credentials that would give them credibility in your eyes when they have something to say about geocaching.

I think I've there is not one measure of a cacher that would qualify as "credentials." I know the number of finds doesn't (shouldn't) automatically give a person credibility. The number of hides doesn't, nor the number of posts. None of those give a measure of quality, only quantity.

True credibility can only earned through interaction. Learning that every single one of one's logged finds are legitimate finds where you were actually at ground zero when the cache was found and you signed the log would make you much more credible than, say, someone who you've learned who logs finds on caches they didn't actually find.

It would be the same with the number of hides. Right now there is no measure of how well you take care of your caches, so the raw number of placements isn't a real indicator of how well you place them or maintain them.

The number of posts doesn't give a measure of how much you've contributed to the conversion.

I can't think of any current measure that would make any person more credible than another. The only real way to measure what one says is know the history behind that person. Mopar's siggy says it best and he attributes this line to Harrold, "A mans reputation is based on his actions and deeds as viewed by the community he is a part of.. Not on what he says he will do or says he has done." I think that says it all and we have nothing at the moment that quatifies that.

A mans reputation is based on his actions and deeds as viewed by the community he is a part of..

For me, a good citizen Geocacher is one who is polite, courteous and kind when replying to posts from other users- whether they be Newbie, or Oldest of Oldtimers.

People who consistantly provide helpful tips or useful links, info, etc to forum users who have questions without becoming condescending in tone, or flaming someone for even asking.

There are many Geocachers here that fit this definition. The ones who do it consistantly have all earned my respect as Ideal Geocaching Citizens.

There are plenty of others who prefer to flame newbies, make Rude Markwell posts - criticize others for a variety of reasons, tell others what to do, or take on a "holier than thou" attitude, generally speaking down from thier throne to the "rest of us little people".

These people are the ones who make this community look bad to the newer cachers who explore the Forums.

That quote above is pretty ironic, in this sense.

There's lots of cachers with high find counts or lots of hides who do little to work with newbies or work with local park districts that support caching. Investing some time back into the hobby ups ones creditentials in my book.

Yeah, here we go. Logging problems, upkeeping and placing new caches no longer counts as "investing back". I guess we should also pay cash to Grounspeak if we don't want to be accused of "stealing from the game". :D

BTW I don't need clueless helpless newbies. We have plenty of great newbies here, who may need meaningful help just like all of us sometimes too, but they don't need patronizing / babysitting.

I also would like to ask fellow geocachers to maintain some semblance of order and organization when lobbying local land managers. If every individual member will rush to ranger's ofiices and park and rec depts, just to prove the he / she also cares about investing back into the passtime, the results would be the most counterproductive. Please, please, leave it to your local chapters! It is a very important activity and it should be conducted by the ones with good skills, good support, good ideas, and with formal credentials