Am I Just Blind Or Stupid?

along the top is 'download', it takes you to the download page. along the right side is 'Plucker 1.8 Viewer Package ', take your pick.

Yeah, but there is no link for Palm! Just Windows, Linux and so on... No Palm...

And there is no email address on the website where you can ask questions either... Bad support!

Edited by hedberg
along the top is 'download', it takes you to the download page. along the right side is 'Plucker 1.8 Viewer Package ', take your pick.

Yeah, but there is no link for Palm! Just Windows, Linux and so on... No Palm...

And there is no email address on the website where you can ask questions either... Bad support!

You have to install either a Windows version or a Linux version. How else are you going to synchronize it?

You aren't stupid. The plucker web site is very confusing.

You need to install the Windows version if you are on Windows. This package installs several things that you need to build and transfer the web page database to your Palm. I believe the Windows installer makes the Plucker Reader available to your Palm. After you install the Desktop, Hotsync your device. Then, you can start building databases using the Desktop software.

Good luck

Since they stated everywhere it was a program for Palm did I get confused when I only found Windows and Linux versions... It seems to be way to difficult for me, so I will try CacheMate instead. I prefer to download software that are a software ^_^

I agree that the initial download and setup can be a little confusing but once you get a hang of it Plucker can be considered user friendly especially keeping in mind that it costs zero $$. It's a very comfortable Palm application as is the desktop portion.

Cheers, Olar

Since they stated everywhere it was a program for Palm did I get confused when I only found Windows and Linux versions... It seems to be way to difficult for me, so I will try CacheMate instead. I prefer to download software that are a software :P

Well you have to have the 'plucker desktop' part installed on your pc, so I would make sense that its for Windows.

Have you read the stuff at cacher- U? It might make it less confusing, just do exactly whats in the directions and it works ^_^

As others have said, you need more than just the Palm program. You have to have a way to transfer the files from the PC to the Palm, and it's the same for Cachemate. You have to have a Windows, Linux, or Mac program in order to get the information from the PC to the Palm. Palm OS is a completely different operating system, so you have to convert everything, just as you would between any other different operating systems. I like Plucker because it does lots more things than just read cache pages. YMMV.

I used Plucker for about 6 months. I think you would be happier with CacheMate for a number of reasons that I won't go into here.

Offline web browsers have their use and they can compliment CacheMate, especially when you are looking for multiple caches. I've started using the trick of copying the HTML files to my SD card directly and using Web Pro to read them. If you want to try a slick offline reader that is easy to download and understand, look at iSilo. You will need iSiloX to create documents from your own web pages. iSilo is a commercial product and it costs $19.99.

The plucker web site appears to be running now (9:20 am CDT GMT -6). The one you want (most likely) is the Plucker Desktop for Windows 1.6.2.0 (RPM).

-E

I did find a plucker (reader?) and installed it on my Palm, but I can't get the desktopversion to download. I get a message saying that windows don't know which program to open the file in...

Going to London tomorrow morning, tought it would be nice to try paperless caching (or sit up printing all night).

:P

No, you don't need GPXSpinner if you're using GSAK. They both will generate the html files, but GSAK does lots more. I left Spinner behind long, long ago.

And the nice thing about Plucker is that it will go out and get *any* website you want and put it on your Palm, as well as any text file. I use it as an ebook reader for books from Project Gutenberg and other places. Anything you can get in text you can put on your Palm and read with Plucker, in addition to any html file. Using it for caches is just a bonus. Start with the caches, and you'll get hooked on other stuff, so watch out. :D

OTOH, if all you use your Palm for is caching, then Cachemate will likely be easier to use.

Hmmm, frankly.. Yes, all I use the Palm for is geocaching. It wasn't supposed to be like that, but it turned out that way :D

I think I will register CacheMate, I have tested the demo version and it seems very cool. And the main reason I wanted to use GSAK to export to the PDA, is that I receive 4 different PQs everyday. So I have 2000 caches that covers my area, and my Legend can handle 1000 waypoints. So if I'm travelling south can I with GSAK filter all caches in that direction and export them to the GPS.

But the problem earlier was MobiPocket, because I had to export all the .prc-files from every pocket query and then I had to search a whole file to find out that, no it wasn't in that pocket query. With the combination of GSAK and CacheMate will I always have the same information in the GPS and PDA, and I will have all the caches in the same database on the PDA. And CacheMate can handle special letters and signs in the language! Something MobiPocket can't do....

In Sweden where I live, do we have tre extra letters in our language, and those can't be presented on MobiPocket in addition to signs like " ' etc...

I can't find a link where to download Plucker for Palm?

The Plucker Viewer .prc files are included in the host packages, eg. after installing Linux RPM you get /usr/share/plucker/palm directory. There is also a separate 'Plucker Viewer' in the Download section.

I have played with plucker a little and didn't like it much (tried to use it without GPX files and spinner). Cachemate, however, is great - the first shareware I have registered since Trumpet Winsock!