GPS unit questions

Guest startracker1

Guest startracker1

I am in search of my first GPS unit and am looking at 2 particular units. 1 bieng the Magellan GPS 310. the other, and seeming les and less attractive the more I learn, is the Garmin eTrex (yellow). I just got a part time job, and would like to get started Goecaching asap. I can get the 310 for about $180 CDN. the eTrex would cost me about $210. since I'm not going to be using my GPS for much more tnah Geocaching, i was thinking that the 310 would be perfect for me. greater accuracy that the eTrex plus with more accessories. and it cost's less too, so it's not so hard on the wallet. any advice in this matter would be greatly appriceated. thanks in advance.

Trevor

Guest tak1

quote:
Originally posted by startracker1:

I am in search of my first GPS unit and am looking at 2 particular units. 1 bieng the Magellan GPS 310. I can get the 310 for about $180 CDN..... the eTrex would cost me about $210.... 310 would be perfect for me. greater accuracy that the eTrex plus with more accessories. and it cost's less too, so it's not so hard on the wallet.....

Trevor

Trevor;

I just bought a GPS 315, from Canadian Tire for $219 Can. Walmart also had it for $219. The $40 extra that it takes to go from a 310 to a 315 is well worth it.

LK

Guest Quinnow

I hear and have seen the Etrex to be very reliable and accurate, not to mention durable.

The 310 I do not think will go 3 places beyond decimal point entrys thus making it less accurate on long/lats when finding or placing caches. I am not a pro on this unit, but please check into that before you make your choice.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest cache_ninja

yup, i seem to remember there were other significant differences besides the decimal place, between the 310 and 315. Among other things, I think the 315 might have a better display, but I'm not sure. Many people use the etrex with no problems, between the 310 and the etrex i would go with the etrex, but IMHO the 315 is a better choice than both of those...

c/n

Guest startracker1

I was also looking at the 315. I can get it for $227.70 at Canadian Tire. (I get a 10% discount cause my mom works there). the eTrex would cost me $207.00. so you think that the $20.70 difference is well worth it? please tell me why.

Trevor

Guest MadGPS

Startracker1

IMHO you would be better off with the Mag315.For $20.70 difference you will maybe never know unless you get them both.For me the $20.70 would be more accurate,resolution,the options(power/data cable a must,friendly to work with.Let us know what you decide and your input on the new GPS!

Guest tak1

quote:
Originally posted by startracker1:

so you think that the $20.70 difference is well worth it? please tell me why.

Trevor

Trev

Go and handle both units. Pick them up, push the buttons. Then go to Garmin's website and download the owner's manual and read it. Then go to Magellan's site and download the 315's manual and read it as well. You will see the difference very clearly, and why the 315 is better.

And it's only 20 bucks.

LK

MB, Canada

"Magellan for all"

Guest Ron Streeter

Look at Magellan's web page on each of the two items (310/315) and you will readily see the difference between the two.

I have the 315 and think it is great. The data cable for an extra $40 (US) adds a lot to the value allowing uploading of new Magellan firmware from their web site and allowing uploading and downloading of landmarks to/from the gps to computer software mapping programs.

Realizing the figures you quote are Candadian dollars, it still makes sense to spend an extra 20 to 40 for the 315. You won't regret it.

Check the Magellan site.

Guest lostsoul

I had the same dilemma until I saw two of my friends had the 315. I played with it and read about it. I had no chance to look at the Etrex. While shopping at Best Buy for something else I saw the 315 for US$149 and a $20 rebate. I bought it right away and had no regret. Word of advice. Do not remove the protective sheet and cut it to fit around the display.

------------------

Lost soul

Never too old to learn and I'll get there.

[This message has been edited by lostsoul (edited 14 May 2001).]

Guest Guest

I made a typo and got www.Magellon.com which sent me into a spam frenzy of mp3 sites. Had to shut down my computer to stop opening parallel web pages. Through an excite.com search I found the correct site at www.magellangps.com.

tak1, before making a purchase I did what you said. and Handeled the units. To me, from a tech perspective, the etrex Legend and Magellan 315 were comparable. The etrex legend was about $30 more than the Magellan 315 when the data cable is added to the cost of the 315. But, the etrex Legend is an elegant package. The feel of the etrex Legend, at least to me, was vastly superior to the Magellan 315.

I bought the etrex Legend, and absolutely love it.

It's nice to have choices.

Guest Trevor

this is Trevor (aka startracker1)

I was at a convention over the weekend and there was a GPS display. I looked at 3 units. the yellow eTrex, the Magellen 315, and the Lowrance GlobMap 100. I like the feel of the eTrex over the other 2. also, when inside the building the eTrex got 4 locks. the GlobMap got 1-2 depending on what way I turned it, and the 315 didn't get any. that says something about recieving in a well covered area. out of the 3 units I narrowed it down between the eTrex, and the GlobMap. sure the GlobMap is a lot better than the eTrex, but for my purposes the eTrex will do fine, so that's the one I'm getting.

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by Big Jack VI:

Does anyone have any opinions on the Magellan 330? Is this a good unit to do a little caching?

I am absolutely loving mine. I use the mapping features quite a lot while on the roads to and from caches. (I also use it when hunting, but when on the road, the additional visual cues the map provides have been very nice.) The WAAS-updated firmware seems very solid, and it handles well for me under tree cover.

I like the shape and feel better than the Garmins, but that's just preference, so YMMV. The interface, with its nice set of buttons, works really well, and anyone who can post to this forum should have no problem getting the hang of it. The integrated help came in handy once when I was first learning the mapping features, but now I'm familiar with the interface's style, so I rarely need it. (Oh, and did I mention that the on-screen matrix keyboard is great when it comes to naming your waypoints while on the hike.)

Anyway, I'm very happy with mine. The fact that it comes with a data cable and a free street maps CD-ROM (mail-in for the disc, but hey, nobody's perfect) makes it all the better (and you get a $20 mail-in rebate, too). Anyway, if you want any more opinions (or want to ask anything specific), I'm a very satisfied customer for you.

Guest ClayJar

quote:

I can't wait for it to arrive so I can get started!!

I know the feeling. icon_smile.gif

Nice GPS receiver: $250

Cool pocket compass: $14

500 miles of unleaded: $19.87

Finding a Koosh ball in your third cache: priceless.

There are some things stashers can't hide; for everything else, there's geocaching.

Guest ClayJar

quote:

I can't wait for it to arrive so I can get started!!

I know the feeling. icon_smile.gif

Nice GPS receiver: $250

Cool pocket compass: $14

500 miles of unleaded: $19.87

Finding a Koosh ball in your third cache: priceless.

There are some things stashers can't hide; for everything else, there's geocaching.

Guest canoeguy

Hello from sunny Florida where we geocache year round. I'm sold on Magellan. My 315 is right on the target. Remember it also features "averaging" which will help when trying to find your target. You have to edit a waypoint (or landmark in the land positon) but not a bad compromise. It's inexpensive and does a great job for geo work.

------------------

NP2BB

canoeguy@backpacker.com