New Geocacher Looking For Advise

Team Levy

Hi all,

I'm a new cacher (found 5 out of 6 on my first weekend) with a Garmin MAP60CS GPSr. I've been trolling these forums for the last few weeks collecting feedback on GPSr units and I think I've made the right decision. I really love my 60CS. However I have one question.

I keep reading about how people are getting accuracy measurements around 10 ft. With clear blue sky overhead, 7+ satellites locked, WAAS enabled, the best I've seen is 17 ft.... and that's rare. Usually I'm over 20 ft.

Does it take an external antenna to hit the ~10 ft accuracy marks?

Thanks all!!!

I've noticed (in Texas) on my garmin60c that I'll get really close (under 10') in the morning and then it increases a bit during the day and finally in the evenings to 14-18' or so.

I've actually seen it read 3' before but I just can't buy into that...maybe it's because I never saw anything like that on my prior eTrexes.

Slevy, the 60cs is an awesome unit. Alot of factors can affect accuracy. Also the accuracy reading is simply a programmed guestimate. You will see lower readings when the correct condition occur. If you are using WAAS, it first has to be initiated. Are you seeing little "D's" above your satellite bars? I'm local to you. Send me an E-Mail if you wish.

You seem to be in Washington state - according to a Garmin tech support person I spoke with, using WAAS can be tricky. Northern areas don't get anywhere near as good a signal as those closer to the equator, and if the signal isn't strong, WAAS can actual make your position reading less accurate. Try turning it off and see if there is any change, and, as others said, remember that accuracy is an estimate. All the technology really guarantees is 15 meters/49 feet. If you find yourself closer to caches than that, be happy. ;)