Changing User Name

Mr Smiles

I am THINKING about changing my user name. I get how to do it, but I am hesitating. No problem about going out to my caches and editing my log books, but will the listing on my placed caches reflect the change automatically? Will my user stats transfer to the new name?

Thanks for the help!

1. You don't need to go back and re-sign all the logbooks.

2. All your stats will transfer over if all you do is change the name on your existing account.

3. When you see old logs you wrote on cache pages, they will still show your old name until the next time that the page regenerates (through someone else logging, or an edit by the owner, etc.)

4. If you put a name in the "hidden by" field on a cache you own, it will continue to show that unless you edit it. Otherwise, the "hidden by" field defaults to the name of the owner's account. Again, regenerate your cache page and it will show the new name.

Nothing to worry about, really. Go ahead and change it.

I did this. I suggest doing it as soon as possible after you establish your account.

Any posts you've made to the forums will retain your earlier name unless you post to the thread after the change.

There's one thing I've wondered about:

I assume one purpose for signing the physical cache log is so the owner can verify you've actually been there when they find your virtual log on Groundspeak. If you signed the physical cache log under your earlier name and your new name shows up in the Groundspeak log (for the reasons explained in The Leprechauns post above) the cache owner will not see your new name on the physical log and might delete your virtual log thinking it's a fake.

I assume one purpose for signing the physical cache log is so the owner can verify you've actually been there when they find your virtual log on Groundspeak. If you signed the physical cache log under your earlier name and your new name shows up in the Groundspeak log (for the reasons explained in The Leprechauns post above) the cache owner will not see your new name on the physical log and might delete your virtual log thinking it's a fake.

A good solution might be to go back and edit each online log. Just paste a line at the bottom of each log saying that you logged the cache using your old username. Of course, if you’ve found a lot of caches, you’re in for a long, lonely Saturday night of editing.

It would be crazy to physically go back to each cache and change your name in the logbook... unless you’re into “nostalgia caching.”