Quit Bumping Old Threads!

If you are going to add a new chapter to history, then it's only right that you be able to see the old history as well.

I've enjoyed the debate with you Saxman, but it's bedtime. I'll pick it back up in the morning in anticipation to your reply.

El Diablo

I'm not saying you shouldn't see the history. I'm saying that the history should be preserved in it's original state. As far as the forums are concerned, it means start a new topic, explaining why it needs to be discussed again (what's changed) and Markwell the old discussion for reference.

History is forever evolving. The same as with the fourms. The topics discussed 2 or 3 years ago also still evolve. I think it's interesting to watch that evolution.

Now stop responding...I'm going to bed. B)

El Diablo

I thought you had already left ;)

Besides, you missed the joke

NORM

Hmmm...the Bible hasn't been added to in centuries. Seems to work just fine that way. Sure, there are lots of books about the Bible that have been printed since then, but they don't change the original.

Printed since when? Which one is the original and where is it? ;)

Hmmm...the Bible hasn't been added to in centuries. Seems to work just fine that way. Sure, there are lots of books about the Bible that have been printed since then, but they don't change the original.

Printed since when? Which one is the original and where is it? ;)

It's been translated plenty of times, but the dead sea scrolls and stuff haven't been changed. The text in my King James Version is identical to a 140 year old copy my Dad has.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

It's been translated plenty of times, but the dead sea scrolls and stuff haven't been changed. The text in my King James Version is identical to a 140 year old copy my Dad has.

And stuff? Not one to say "you know", but you know that any discussions concerning religion are doomed. ;)

Not all of that 'stuff' (including all parts of the DSS) is in 'The Bible'. It has been edited HEAVILY over the millenia.

Millennia? The KJV was compiled in 1611 and not one word has changed. But this is getting off topic.

On topic: Even though it is an old topic, there are new voices adding comments every time it gets regurgitated. However, most of the good ol boys are not ruminants. ;)

Not all of that 'stuff' (including all parts of the DSS) is in 'The Bible'. It has been edited HEAVILY over the millenia.

Millennia? The KJV was compiled in 1611 and not one word has changed. But this is getting off topic.

On topic: Even though it is an old topic, there are new voices adding comments every time it gets regurgitated. However, most of the good ol boys are not ruminants. ;)

Only in the last post did Saxman refer to the KJV. Earlier he refered to it as 'The Bible'. The KJV is just ONE of the standardized versions, albeit an early if not the earliest one. And yes, the text that most of it is taken and edited from is millenia old.

The inference is that if even a book as old as that can be refered to and updated, why not an old thread in these forums?

BTW- this thread that I bumped has been closed. If you look at that topic and read it, it also directly relates to this topic in a way. Would have been nice to get a reason for that nice old thread being locked.

BTW- this thread that I bumped has been closed. If you look at that topic and read it, it also directly relates to this topic in a way. Would have been nice to get a reason for that nice old thread being locked.
Careful, don't go and start expecting something logical ^_^

Thorin

Geez Smurf-boy, not all of us can live on here enough to memorize ( or participate in ) every topic like you.

Like Amish said, I enjoy the bump of many old topics, ESPECIALLY the pics and light-hearted topics, as opposed to the pissing/moaning, "we need some more regulations" threads.

The point of a "markwell" being the red light for a topic brought up by a noob is exactly what I've observed as well. Seems like too many people think unless a topic is 100% original, it can't be discussed again.

How about this "regulation" : If a topic comes up that you've already discussed before, sit on your hands and let someone else have their say. Ya just MIGHT be surprised that someone has an idea that hadn't occured to you. ^_^

I say it depends on the person whom owns the bumps. I for one enjoy to have my bumps handled. In fact, the more the merrier. However, there are some people who would rather not have their bumps touched at all ... these people are cold as ice. Hold on ... yes dear, I know its' time to let the dog out. Where was I ... yes, cold as ice. Anyway, I see nothing wrong with covering your bumps with thread just be sure to share your bumps with others...

You's one strange injun, my friend! ^_^:P:P

Why does it matter if someone bumps an old thread?

Is it any different from opening an old bottle of wine?

Sometimes it's good; sometimes it's not. ^_^:P

Edit: As far as history goes, nothing is changed when a thread is bumped.

Absolutely correct. Why bother starting a new thread, when there is an old thread with the same topic. Just by posting a response a month, 6 months, a year later, doesn't change anything with that old thread. And, it's right there for people to reference, they don't have to open up another thread to find out what is being discussed and why.

Geez Smurf-boy, not all of us can live on here enough to memorize ( or participate in ) every topic like you.

Like Amish said, I enjoy the bump of many old topics, ESPECIALLY the pics and light-hearted topics, as opposed to the pissing/moaning, "we need some more regulations" threads.

The point of a "markwell" being the red light for a topic brought up by a noob is exactly what I've observed as well. Seems like too many people think unless a topic is 100% original, it can't be discussed again.

How about this "regulation" : If a topic comes up that you've already discussed before, sit on your hands and let someone else have their say. Ya just MIGHT be surprised that someone has an idea that hadn't occured to you. ^_^

Very well put, Captain Chaoss!! A properly used Markwell can be a blessing at times, but a blunt "We already talked about this here!" Markwell can be very rude, and quite often a show-stopper. Give someone else a chance to discuss a topic and don't manhandle the topic to go the direction you want it to go.

Sometimes it's good; sometimes it's not.  ^_^  :P

Edit:  As far as history goes, nothing is changed when a thread is bumped.

Absolutely correct. Why bother starting a new thread, when there is an old thread with the same topic. Just by posting a response a month, 6 months, a year later, doesn't change anything with that old thread. And, it's right there for people to reference, they don't have to open up another thread to find out what is being discussed and why.

Me and the wet cat agree on something??? :P Maybe I need to rethink my position. :D

El Diablo

Sometimes it's good; sometimes it's not.  :P  :P

Edit:  As far as history goes, nothing is changed when a thread is bumped.

Me and the wet cat agree on something??? :D Maybe I need to rethink my position. ^_^

El Diablo

I can hear Sparky telling you, "Come to the Dark Side, El D." :D

You people really need to consider what you're doing, by every post to this thread, you're allowing a smurf's views to be seen by more and more people. Every time you post, you bump it and at least one new person probably sees it. So I recomend stop posting to posts that have smurf's views attached to them.

And, oh yeah:

bump

You people really need to consider what you're doing, by every post to this thread, you're allowing a smurf's views to be seen by more and more people. Every time you post, you bump it and at least one new person probably sees it. So I recomend stop posting to posts that have smurf's views attached to them.

:DWatch it...Stunod knows where you live :D

You people really need to consider what you're doing, by every post to this thread, you're allowing a smurf's views to be seen by more and more people.  Every time you post, you bump it and at least one new person probably sees it.  So I recomend stop posting to posts that have smurf's views attached to them.

:DWatch it...Stunod knows where you live :D

And I'm afraid the worst he could do is bump into my Jeep....

You people really need to consider what you're doing, by every post to this thread, you're allowing a smurf's views to be seen by more and more people.  Every time you post, you bump it and at least one new person probably sees it.  So I recomend stop posting to posts that have smurf's views attached to them.

:)Watch it...Stunod knows where you live :D

And I'm afraid the worst he could do is bump into my Jeep....

Don't underestimate the power of the chicken :D

besides, Uper tells me he's not housebroken

Saxman has asked very politely that we stop bumping old threads...so please quit bumping this. :unsure:

El Diablo

How old does it have to be before we can't bump it anymore.

Oops, did it again! :tired:

That depends on the subject of the thread. This one should not be bumped after 2 days. So don't reply, and that way it never gets bumped! :unsure:

El Diablo

Saxman has asked very politely that we stop bumping old threads...so please quit bumping this. :unsure:

El Diablo

How old does it have to be before we can't bump it anymore.

Oops, did it again! :tired:

That depends on the subject of the thread. This one should not be bumped after 2 days. So don't reply, and that way it never gets bumped! :tired:

El Diablo

Ok....I won't....oops! Drat, foiled again!!! :unsure:

Someone keeps bumping this thread, and it keeps reappearing at the top and more people bump it cause it's at the top. But this bump, I can't understand the origins....

Now, you'd think a thread would just stay at the top, but this "bump" seems to be oddly related to the posts actually inside the topic.

Maybe, we're stuck inside some kind of a paralell universe and when you post, it makes the thread go up, and get bigger..

Someone keeps bumping this thread, and it keeps reappearing at the top and more people bump it cause it's at the top. But this bump, I can't understand the origins....

Now, you'd think a thread would just stay at the top, but this "bump" seems to be oddly related to the posts actually inside the topic.

Maybe, we're stuck inside some kind of a paralell universe and when you post, it makes the thread go up, and get bigger..

Are you trying to say "It's a vicious cycle"? :blink: