Lostoutdoors.com Going Offline

I added the hi-res color image option for those lucky enough to have their area hi-res color imaged.

Marky, how did you do the map re-center on click? I can't quite wrap my mind around converting pixel offset to a lat/long offset. :lol: Thanks for any info!

I added the hi-res color image option for those lucky enough to have their area hi-res color imaged.

Marky, how did you do the map re-center on click? I can't quite wrap my mind around converting pixel offset to a lat/long offset. :lol: Thanks for any info!

$mmp[8] = 0.25;

$mmp[9] = 0.5;

$mmp[10] = 1;

$mmp[11] = 2;

$mmp[12] = 4;

$mmp[13] = 8;

$mmp[14] = 16;

$mmp[15] = 32;

$mmp[16] = 64;

$mmp[17] = 128;

$mmp[18] = 256;

$mmp[19] = 512;

$height/2 - $click[1])*0.000009*$mmp[$zoom]

$width/2 - $click[0])*0.0000114*$mmp[$zoom]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

$mmp = meters per pixel

I came up with the 0.000009 and 0.0000114 through trial and error. They work pretty well but probably have more error the farther north or south you go from my home.

--Marky

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

$mmp = meters per pixel

I came up with the 0.000009 and 0.0000114 through trial and error.  They work pretty well but probably have more error the farther north or south you go from my home.

Programming this stuff would be so much easier if the world really were flat...

I'm afraid my math skills need polishing and I'm not following how you get a lat/long out of those formulas (assuming you pass a lat/long back to terraserver as a new center)! :) It looks like something got lopped off since there is no opening parenthesis on each line. Are those just the adjustment factors? Should it end up something like this?

$newLat = $oldLat + ($height/2 - $click[1])*0.000009*$mmp[$zoom]

Thanks for any insight! :laughing:

I'm afraid my math skills need polishing and I'm not following how you get a lat/long out of those formulas (assuming you pass a lat/long back to terraserver as a new center)! :) It looks like something got lopped off since there is no opening parenthesis on each line. Are those just the adjustment factors? Should it end up something like this?

$newLat = $oldLat + ($height/2 - $click[1])*0.000009*$mmp[$zoom]

Thanks for any insight! :laughing:

Yes, that is just the offset in decimal degrees, if I recall correctly.

--Marky

Hi All - I guess I'm a little late to this thread. I've used MapMaker for years now, and have got to rely on it so much that now I'm going to be lost. I guess since all of a sudden I can't get onto LostOutDoors that Jim may have finally pulled the plug. I'm so sorry he had to do that.

I guess I'll ask some help from the rest of you. I use the MapMaker part of the program to key in a coordinate, let it take me to the area, and then by using other references I can pinpoint a more exact point on the image and retrieve the better coordianates. Does anyone know of another site out there that gives you the coordinates by simply clicking on the image?

What I have done is started a database of as many Remote Control Flying Fields as I can. I'm currently up to some where over 1400. Usually all I've got to go off is the clubs website, a set of driving directions, and sometimes a crude map. I then try to use something like Magellan's MapSend program to get into the general area, and drop a point giving me the coordinates. I then use those coordinates to plug into MapMaker to take a look at the image. I can then usually determine the exact center of the runway and enter it into my excel file.

Once again Jim, if you read this, I'm so sorry you had to shut your wonderful site down. :)

While this doesn't do quite the same thing as lostoutdoors, it is similar:

http://www.yvanovich.com/terraserver/

--Marky

Hi Marky - Thanks for the info. Reading earlier in the thread I saw Yvanovich's Terraserver page, and although it is pretty cool, it's still not quite as accurate as I need. When I plug in some of my coordinates that I've verified by putting feet on the ground and checking it out, I see where most of my points are showing to WNW or NW of the actual point (which was something a few others had found). The other thing I got spoiled by using MapMaker is it gave me the coordinates in decimal degrees, which allowed me to transfer it directly into excel and have it recoginized as a numeric value vs a text value with all of the deg, min, and sec symbols associated with the other lat long formats.

I'll keep checking this one for functionality, but I'm afraid I'll continue to search for something similar to MapMaker.

Edited by GPutt33

It is a real shame that LostOutdoors is history. I used it for GPS'ing, but also to locate old forts, townsites and other historical relics here in southern Colorado. I will miss it.

Terraserver will help with GPS outings, and for that I'm greatful, but the resolution doesn't seem to be quite what LO was.

While this doesn't do quite the same thing as lostoutdoors, it is similar:

http://www.yvanovich.com/terraserver/

--Marky

Hi Marky - Thanks for the info. Reading earlier in the thread I saw Yvanovich's Terraserver page, and although it is pretty cool, it's still not quite as accurate as I need. When I plug in some of my coordinates that I've verified by putting feet on the ground and checking it out, I see where most of my points are showing to WNW or NW of the actual point (which was something a few others had found). The other thing I got spoiled by using MapMaker is it gave me the coordinates in decimal degrees, which allowed me to transfer it directly into excel and have it recoginized as a numeric value vs a text value with all of the deg, min, and sec symbols associated with the other lat long formats.

I'll keep checking this one for functionality, but I'm afraid I'll continue to search for something similar to MapMaker.