Let’s All Do It With Carleen!

Criminal

Q: What’s the saddest thing about four lawyers driving a van over a cliff?

A: The van could have easily seated eight!

At long last, CarleenP has come to town and would like us all to punish her with a long strenuous hike. For some dadgum reason, Leprechaun is here as well. Since both have given their lives and integrity over to law careers, I think we should repay them in kind. After much hand wringing and fretting over the perfect Northwest hike we’ve decided on Waterslide Find, Melakwa Lake, and Melakwa Heaven. Details below.

Date: This Saturday, the 17th of July

Time: 0830 at the trailhead, we’ll be departing there at or before 0900

Bring: A lunch, water, camera, and all your normal hiking gear. I suggest bringing an FRS radio as the group will inevitably get strung out on the trail, and those of us in the rear might like to know what’s happening ahead.

Duration: Expect to be here all day.

Directions to the Trailhead: I-90 to exit #47. Turn north at the exit ramp, go over the interstate and turn right at the "T" in the road. In 0.25 mile turn left on Denny Creek Road #58. Follow the road 2.5 miles; just beyond the Denny Creek Campground turn left on the paved road. Continue 0.25 mile to the end of the road. You will need a NW Forest pass to park; they are available at some places like REI.

Hike description*: This trail begins in an old forest, continuing about one mile with minimal elevation gain before crossing a bridge over Denny Creek. Here, large slabs of exposed bedrock create a natural waterslide. It is a popular place for picnics in the summer. The trail climbs up the river valley passing several waterfalls and offering open views of nearby peaks. At Hemlock Pass the trail peaks before dropping slightly into Melakwa Lake basin, shortly after the junction with Melakwa Lake Trail #1011 to Lower Tuscohatchie Lake. About nine miles roundtrip with a 2200’ elevation gain.

Current Conditions:* As of 07/05/2004: PARTIAL SNOW

Elev. gain 2200'. Trail is snow-free for the first 3 miles to the upper falls. Trail is very wet. The trail is snow-covered from quarter-mile from Hemlock Pass and beyond. Expect some windfall on the trail.

* These are from the Denny Creek hike description on the Mt. Baker website, the actual length of the hike may be slightly more since we’ll also be looking for geocaches.

Wow! Thanks for putting together a stellar geocaching agenda, Criminal. I look forward to meeting you and any other area geocachers who might be curious about observing geocaching attorneys who can actually *find* geocaches. :) And on a totally unrelated subject, I'm very sorry to miss the opportunity to meet travisl.

Thank Moun10Bike, he figured out the caches and trail. Don't get too excited, right now it's just you, her, Leatherman, and me. I have a few maybes as well.

As mentioned, Shauna is getting ready to download a cache of her own and the date is very close so I will be surprised to see Moun10Bike, unless he has a newborn in his backpack. :unsure:

Hopefully some others will chime in soon.

Wow!  Thanks for putting together a stellar geocaching agenda, Criminal.  I look forward to meeting you and any other area geocachers who might be curious about observing geocaching attorneys who can actually *find* geocaches.  :unsure:  And on a totally unrelated subject, I'm very sorry to miss the opportunity to meet travisl.

Thank Moun10Bike, he figured out the caches and trail. Don't get too excited, right now it's just you, her, Leatherman, and me. I have a few maybes as well.

As mentioned, Shauna is getting ready to download a cache of her own and the date is very close so I will be surprised to see Moun10Bike, unless he has a newborn in his backpack. :)

Hopefully some others will chime in soon.

Well, I might be up to joining you folks for the first cache, but I'm afraid that the second two would probably require me to take a helicopter ride to Harborview to get back down.

Q: What do you say to a lawyer when you see he's about to get hit by a truck?

A: __________.

Edit to add obligatory Lawyer Joke

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

Yay! This looks great! Any idea about how long the drive from about 10 miles south of Seattlle to the trail head is? I'm sure mapquest will give me a figure, but I would prefer local knowledge. Lep and I need to know when to leave for the drive to the trailhead!

Hmmm, looks like I should plan on extra socks in my pack and a new coat of waterproof spray on my boots. Any idea of the general temperature? I figured I would just plan on layers to cover various situations.

I also stupidly danced for 2 hours Saturday at an intense workshop and pulled both calf muscles, but from experience, I am betting those will be better by Saturday, and if they aren't I'll just suck it up but might be one of those at the back of the pack! They are already loosening up though, so I figure they will be fine in another two days anyway. Glad I saved some Vioxx from my last injury! :)

Whoo hooo! 100 degrees here today. I would like to see some snow! :unsure:

I just got the confirmed OK to go.

Oh and fwiw, on Rushing Water, when all the Garmins lost lock, the MeriPlat was holding strong with a minimum of 4 birds at all times... I mostly averaged a 5 bird lock and the only time it went more than 60' EPE was after the monsoon started.

How funny is it that two lawyers will be following a Criminal around all day long??

I'm sure we can arrange some time to meet TravisL if he and you are willing. There are about 5-6 caches with in walking distance of his office.

:edit for lawyer joke:

Why don't sharks eat Lawyer's? Sharks don't eat their own kind!!

(Yeah I know it's a lame one)

Edited by Wander Lost
Yay! This looks great! Any idea about how long the drive from about 10 miles south of Seattlle to the trail head is? I'm sure mapquest will give me a figure, but I would prefer local knowledge. Lep and I need to know when to leave for the drive to the trailhead!

Hmmm, looks like I should plan on extra socks in my pack and a new coat of waterproof spray on my boots. Any idea of the general temperature? I figured I would just plan on layers to cover various situations.

I also stupidly danced for 2 hours Saturday at an intense workshop and pulled both calf muscles, but from experience, I am betting those will be better by Saturday, and if they aren't I'll just suck it up but might be one of those at the back of the pack! They are already loosening up though, so I figure they will be fine in another two days anyway. Glad I saved some Vioxx from my last injury! :)

Whoo hooo! 100 degrees here today. I would like to see some snow! :unsure:

Not even on the plane and the excuses start...

No excuses. I will be there and the legs should be fine. I will suck it up if they aren't, but they are already feeling a little better. But just in case I lag behind.. it is the sore calves really.....! :)

Actually I hope the darn things are in top shape. I hate nothing more than being the last person in a group! Pika aint no wimp! Although she is whincing at her poor grammar right now.... :unsure:

No excuses. I will be there and the legs should be fine. I will suck it up if they aren't, but they are already feeling a little better. But just in case I lag behind.. it is the sore calves really.....! ;)

Actually I hope the darn things are in top shape. I hate nothing more than being the last person in a group! Pika aint no wimp! Although she is whincing at her poor grammar right now.... ;)

Well, I’ll have to check out those legs very closely to make sure you’re up to the hike. Sorry, just a formality. Please tell me you have chest pains too…

Don't worry, I'm a slow hiker too. The FRS radios make it more fun though.

And you are still sick people this morning, and you'll be sick people on Saturday.

This is why Carleen has asked me to tag along on the hike, being that I am both a licensed attorney and pure as the driven snow. My mission is to protect her innocent ears from scurrilous material such as what appears in the subject line of this thread.

This is why Carleen has asked me to tag along on the hike, being that I am both a licensed attorney and pure as the driven snow. My mission is to protect her innocent ears from scurrilous material such as what appears in the subject line of this thread.

Thanks!

I needed that laugh!

Pure as snow driven through a cow pasture maybe.

I've prepared some maps and GPS data for the hike that I hope will be of use to people. The track data is a recording of our (EraSeek's and my) descent from Upper Melakwa Lake last September. We did not go to Melakwa Pass (the location of the Melakwa Heaven Cache) as the cache was not placed at the time (evergreenhiker! continued on up to place it as EraSeek and I departed). The trailhead coordinates are a rough estimate, as I did not have very good reception while there.

Here are links to the files:

Large map of hike

Small map of hike

3D view of route

GPX file of all caches in the Snoqualmie Pass area

GPS data containing track and waypoints, including caches and trailhead:

Edited by Moun10Bike

This is shaping up to be a great group! I am really looking forward to it, and Little Lep is likewise looking forward to meeting THE Signal the Frog at the Seattle Zoo that day (thanks, Hydee!)

How does someone from out of town, driving a rental car, handle the required NW Forest permit in order to park at the trailhead?

How does someone from out of town, driving a rental car, handle the required NW Forest permit in order to park at the trailhead?

I think it means that we must go shopping at REI Friday evening!!!! Wow, I never thought I would come up with a legitimate excuse to go there!!! ;)

I think it means that we must go shopping at REI Friday evening!!!! Wow, I never thought I would come up with a legitimate excuse to go there!!! ;)

Lep, You could paypal me large sums of money and that *might* motivate me to pick one up for you when I am at REI picking up Rothsta's tonight.

But I wouldnt want to mess up Carleen's shopping trip, REI is a fun place to shop!

My mission is to protect her innocent ears from scurrilous material such as what appears in the subject line of this thread.

Hmmm, I call dibs on her legs and you get her ears? ;) She likes to live dangerously I see.... B)

The one day pass is $5 or you can get a one year pass for $30. I think you should get the one year pass and leave it in a cache on the way back to the hotel. That would be a decent trade item. B)

I also hope Hydee gets a one year pass and plans to join us later in the season for a few hikes. 13 YO TroubleChild will not be going to the zoo but will instead be hiking with us. Any reason LittleLep cannot come with?

B) And if you're downtown Seattle, then you'll be close to the flagship REI.

I just happen to have an extra NW Forest Pass that is good until the end of July. I lost it at one point and needed one so I had to buy a replacement. Wouldn't you know.... almost immediatly I found the old one.

edit:

Whoops..... it's gone again B)

darn.... I really need to keep better track of things like that B)

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

My son and I will be there! It's starting to look like a meeting place for Criminal and myself, this'll be my third time up there, all three times hooking up with The Criminal. ;)

I've got to warn you all, I talked my son into going with me by telling him he could drive~!~! He has recently started driver's-ed. and has his permit, so if you see a teal Jeep Cherokee in a ditch, be sure to point and laugh! B) or at least wave!

On the FS pass subject, maybe we should meet the outa-towners at one of those gas stations at the off-ramp and car-pool into the trailhead?

Og

Do you think the search and rescue operation may interfere with our plans?

=-=-

Hiker missing near Snoqualmie Pass

10:26 PM PDT on Tuesday, July 13, 2004

KING5.com

NORTH BEND, Wash. – Rescue crews took a break for the night in the search for a missing hiker – George Hurlbut.

Dozens of volunteers planned to overnight in the mountains and continue their search at first light Wednesday.

KING

George Hurlbut

The 55-year-old Seattle man has been missing since Sunday night, July 11.

Going off alone into the mountains is something Hurlbut does nearly every weekend.

His friends didn't know exactly where to begin their search, but after the man's vehicle was found Tuesday morning at Denny Creek trailhead near Snoqualmie Pass along Interstate 90, dozens began the search on foot, with dogs, on horses, in ATVs and by helicopter.

Five colleagues from Washington Mutual, where Hurlbut does computer work, knew something was wrong when he failed to show up for work Monday morning.

Hurlbut has worked in the Seattle area for a couple of years, but maintains his home in Florida.

Hurlbut's wife became alarmed when she couldn't reach him by phone Sunday from their Florida home. She called the colleagues who then organized the search.

The searchers are planning to resume the search early Wednesday, and King County's Guardian One helicopter will fly again using its heat-sending radar system.

Do you think the search and rescue operation may interfere with our plans?

=-=-

Hiker missing near Snoqualmie Pass

10:26 PM PDT on Tuesday, July 13, 2004

KING5.com

NORTH BEND, Wash. – Rescue crews took a break for the night in the search for a missing hiker – George Hurlbut.

And here all along, I thought that "Hurlbut" was what Criminal was gonna do to me when we got to the edge of that cliff.

I hope that the search ends quickly and successfully!

All jokes aside Carleen must be a very nice person to be so popular.

Or really pretty ^_^

39197_6200.gif

I hate to admit it, but I think Leatherman is probably right on this one :P

Wish I could make it on the hike, but I have other things going on right now. HAVE FUN ALL!

That's a beautiful lake up there.

A possible maybe at this point. I only have until the early afternoon to be out and about. Baxter and I might have to get an earlier start and catch you folks on the way back down. If EGH! comes, he will catch me before I get to the top. Peace, Nolenator

Argh! Yet again I proved that I turned 40 this past weekend. I have Sunday open. Bumma!

Edited by nolenator

Concerning the missing hiker...at this time: the search and rescue and police have set up there base camp at the Denny Creek Trailhead and have closed this area off to hikers. Not sure if it will be closed for your hike on Saturday but thought you should be keeping an eye on it. I would hate for all of you to show up and have it closed to hikers. Have a great hike!!!

Lets all hope they find the missing hiker!!!!!!

bilbo19

Edited by bilbo19