Geocaching Without Gps

I am still new to this... I've got 7 finds so far... All of which have been done without GPS. This is not out of choice, but rather out of necessity as I have no GPS. My question really, or discussion topic is how many people Geocach without GPS and choose to stay that way?... that is if any? I know I've enjoyed finding the ones I have off of the clues and hints, but with my 7 finds I also have 2 DNF's as well. Just curious. :unsure:

Patman

I know Walden Run and Web-ling do most of their geocaching without a GPS. Walden Run has well over a thousand finds, a good portion of them without a GPS. Web-ling has hundreds of finds sans GPS.

There are others, but most of them don't have close to the number of finds that Waldren Run and Web-ling have.

I've personally found 2 of my 254 finds without a GPS. Once because I forgot my GPS and the other because I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Edited by briansnat

I have a friend that wants to cache without a GPSr. He was in the Army, and wants to polish up on some old skills.

I found a couple of Tritium lensatic compass on eBay for the both of us. He wants some military maps, not sure why. I'm pretty sure I could use National Geographic maps in UTM.

Anyways I'm excited to try it.

You'll find lots of cachers do their first dozen or so without the GPSr until they get one. They stumble onto the game and want to play but don't own the device. My first ten were without GPS help. Adds to both the difficulty and the thrill of discovery, but now that I have the handheld tracker, I wouldn't go caching without it.

GPS receiver, don't leave home (for caching) without it... unless you are Walden Run or Web-ling.

You'll find lots of cachers do their first dozen or so without the GPSr until they get one. They stumble onto the game and want to play but don't own the device. My first ten were without GPS help. Adds to both the difficulty and the thrill of discovery, but now that I have the handheld tracker, I wouldn't go caching without it.

GPS receiver, don't leave home (for caching) without it... unless you are Walden Run or Web-ling.

That was my case almost exactly (first 7 were sans GPSr)...It can be fun, but also can be a big headache...I searched twice for one without a GPS and then after I got my GPS I went again and found it no problem...I was looking in the wrong spot...

Good luck :unsure:

-Six

I found my first cache without a GPS, but it was in a cemetery that I was familiar with that had almost no vegetation and had a great clue ("in the green over white"). I had the clue figured out before I ever got there.

The second one I tried to find without a GPS ended up as a DNF, but we went back later when I got the GPS and found it with no problem.

We have a "home town favorite" cacher here in Hampton Roads Virginia, QOCMike, who doesn't use a GPS, but has found all his caches with maps and compass only. And he's found plenty!

We found our first two without a GPS, but then we succumbed to the lure of electronic gadgets.

Cacheola Crew Mom

Edited by Cacheola Crew

There is a few cachers in Sweden who doesn't use GPS. One of them (matmat) lives in my hometown and he uses public maps found on internet. He even does multi caches! First he convert the coordinates into other format, check out even more detailed public maps where it is. He goes to the place and find the first step in a multi cache. Writes everything down, goes back home. Converts the new coordinates and does everything once more... I really admire those kind of people!