Encountering Other Cachers

tmcgran

Hi, I'm new to this game and so far it has been quite fun. Is it appropriate when seeing other cachers hunting to say hi and join them, or come back another time? My wife and I were driving up to our first hunt and saw another couple wandering around with a GPS. I wasn't sure if we should stop and join in or leave. We went on our way, came back later and found the cache. Thanks

Tim

That is really a good question. I'm fairly new too, but have not met anyone on the trail.

I guess it depends on your general sociability. We are private people and in general don't say hi to everyone me meet on the trail. Will gladly say hi if approached but don't want to be imposed on by some 'trapper' either.

I'd say, that you could say hi if you wanted - take a clue from the response - ask if they are cachers and if they would like to join you. That way you signal your openness for joining forces and if they want to go alone they can say so.

For me - in most cases I don't mind walking and talking but there is something about the find - I want to find it - not watch Joe beat me out of it because he was faster then I was. But if it was like my third time back I wouldn't mind the help. I guess it just comes down to the cirmstances at the moment.

I find it odd that with all the traffic on the trails around my area, and all the cachers looking (and finding) that I have not run into one.

I wasn't sure if we should stop and join in or leave.  Thanks Tim

Stop up around here, and say Hi. I've been out three yrs and only had met others at events, till this year. I'm on a roll, now. It's always a pleasure, to have others to hunt with, vet or newbie. Hopefully, the next time, try striking up a conversation. And ask [ want to :D join us ], rather than you taking the back seat and asking [can we :unsure: join you]. It will usually open the door, and that you are happy to have company. If they choose not to, don't sweat it. Just beat them to the cache :) ! Happy Trails SF1

We have met other geocachers when looking for a cache and it has always been a positive experience. If we are there first, they usually walk up and say hi and we invite them to join us.

If they are there first, we introduce ourselves and ask if they mind if we join in the hunt. No one has ever said they minded and they are always nice and invite us to look too.

While looking for the cache we trade stories and talk about our caching plans for the day. It's always a nice surprise to meet someone at a cache site. :unsure:

I always welcome the assistance in finding the cache container. I've always maintained that on a good cache hunt the container is secondary to the hike itself and if you don't find it, its not the end of the world. I will admit that when caching with kids they can be a little gutted when you don't find the treasure.

C-A

I just give a friendly hello and ask if they mind company. If they look at me as if I have 3 eyes, I'll back off. If they are friendly, then I'll join them.

I hate to tell you this Brian, but you actually DO have three eyes.

Is it appropriate when seeing other cachers hunting to say hi and join them, or come back another time?

I usually wave my GPS to identify that I'm a fellow cacher. So far 100% of the time I have been met with a friendly greeting and usually end up chatting for a while.

I was out caching the other day - as someone had just posted a cache - and I wanted to be FTF - about 3 minutes into the hunt, along came another cacher and we said Hi and then we were looking in the same general area, but he found it first - I was way bummed, especially since it turned out he had already had quite a few FTF's and I had not had any. Luckily, I was FTF on another cache that very same day, so I guess it worked out. It was nice seeing another cacher, that didn't have three eyes, as my wife still maintains that I am crazy and that no "normal" person in the entire world would geocache. I was wondering too if there was any established protocol - should the latecomer ask if they want company and be prepared to come back later - especially on an FTF, or is it just every geocacher for themselves?

HI. :P Been doing this for almost a year. I have to admit that solitary caching has its place...but the fun seems to me to be in the fellowship. Swapping stories..telling jokes..insulting one another... ^_^.....pick each other's brain for how to's and tech tips.... etc. I have gotten past the numbers thing and wanting the FTF. I hardly log if I find it or one of my team members has the find if out caching with the team. The fun of the sport for me is the hike (ok and the hunt too).....what a great way to see the country and enjoy being out. If I saw you on the trail...I'd strike up a conversation. I have met friendly cachers and reserved ones. I always say hi...and go from there.... anyone is welcome to cache with me.

I just stalk them (like Gollum after his precious). Then when they find the loot I run in screaming, MY PRECIOUS! ^_^

On a serious note though, Say hi. Smile, and show your gps also, they will propably recognize the activity as well and shows that you share an interest. Just saying hi if they dont see a gps or some other geocaching item, they may be spooked until they know you are doing the same sport. Let them know up front. May even say Hey fellow cachers. if they look at you head cocked to the side. Just reply oops My bad thought you were someone else, and move on.

I've only met one other geocacher so far while out hunting. I knew he was a geocacher because as we passed he said "It's still there." We stopped and exchanged names, etc. Turns out he was checking the coordinates for the cache that his daughter had recently placed. Donna and I were heading out to calm the First To Find on the cache.

Zack

We met another geocache team on our first day out, and our 2nd hunt. We just said hi exchanged user names and went on our way. Wish we had stopped and just chatted a few moments. but time was short and we didn't know the protocol. We did follow up with a quick e-mail, seems they were out of towners picking up some finds in our area.

We pulled up to a cacher on the GeoWoodstock cache n dash wagon train here in Nashville just as he was opening the cache container... Made it easy for us... Very odd, though, because although he was caching in Nashville the day after GeoWoodII, I don't think he and his daughter attended the event.

It all depends upon what they LOOK like. I mean, if they are pretty, shapely, and wearing short-shorts and a pleasant smile, then I put on my very biggest MrSmiles Smile, flash my Garmin,

(and thermos full of frozen margaritas), and say..."Hellooo"... :o

But if they LOOK like some of the moderators on this forum....well, that's a whole 'nother story!!!! :P

Whatever you do,

do it with a smile!

MrSmiles

I never met another geocacher. Also, if someone is approaching, I hide my GPS so no one would know I'm geocaching. Maybe they hide theirs too, cause I have never seen anyone walking with a GPS.

Besides, I would hate to join other cachers. I want to find the cache myself, that's the whole point.

Happened today. Was doin' cache maintainance, changing from tw to ammo box, switching old log into new swag...and this man walks into the woods. He didn't know what to do...and I didn't know what to do...but something bright yellow was in his hand, so I said, "What's in your hand?" Then his wife showed up, and we talked awhile, and I helped them with the yellow etrex, and they helped me verify new coordinates, since I moved the cache about 50'. We had a nice little visit.

I'd love to meet other chachers on a hunt...Guess I need a Geo-hat or Windshield sticker (although my 'invoice box' with printouts, trinkets, pens, GPS and PDA has logos pasted all over it).

How personal do you get? Screen names only? Or real person stuff like email and phone numbers depending on whether you like the fellow gamers?.....

I'd love to meet other chachers on a hunt...Guess I need a Geo-hat or Windshield sticker (although my 'invoice box' with printouts, trinkets, pens, GPS and PDA has logos pasted all over it).

How personal do you get? Screen names only? Or real person stuff like email and phone numbers depending on whether you like the fellow gamers?.....

I used to ask if they minded if I joined in. They had all said yes until I met one cacher who said no. He took forever and just standing there I could see where the cache is. I ask if he wanted help and he said he'd prefer if I walked away for awhile. Well he was taking forever and as far as I'm concerned I really didn't have to ask permission.

So I walked to the cache, signed the logbook and walked away. He was standing there watching me and I just shoved the box back into it's hidey hole and gave him a smile and said "enjoy".

I don't ask anymore, I strike up a conversation and try to make a friend. If my pressense is a bother they'll have to learn to deal with it :D

LFNY and I met a great caching buddy on our first hunt. We finally figured out how to use the GPS and were heading toward the cache when we saw some crazy person wandering back and forth looking at something in his hand. We approached him and introduced ourselves. It was his 8th cache. Now we often go out on weekends together.

Another weekend we met two of the more prominent cachers in our area and did 5 multis together. I took my sister and niece who live in Buffalo out for the first time this spring and met another cacher who was taking her goddaughters out for the first time.

I say introduce yourself. I'm thrilled when I meet someone else who shares my addiction. And I think Strikeforce's suggestion of inviting them to join you instead of asking if you can join them gives them a much easier way of saying no. Noone's feelings hurt.

We (the kids and I) had a funny experience today on a FTF hunt in a cemetary. When we arrived, there were 4 adults there already hunting, clearly out in the open, for stage 1. We joined in the hunt (Never even thought about asking if they minded) and after 5-10 min, I happened to find the hole that stage 1 was hidden in. They were all in various other areas and didn't notice me grab the film cannister, palm it and wander away.

I logged the coords for stage 2 and then debated with myself as to the proper thing to do. Do I sneak it back into the hole, quietly gather the kids and wander away for stage 2. Or, do I admit I found it and share and risk losing my FTF on the final stage? Especially given that my fellow caching team members are ages 3, 6, 8 and 10, while we're "competing" against 4 adults with 4 GPSr's.

What did I do? Well, I gave them the coords and asked for a running head start, given that the kids had much shorter legs AND that we DID find the stage 1 first. (They weren't seeking in the correct area at that time). Stage 2 was a total gimme, the cache location was obvious from 100 ft away.

So I'm wondering, did I handle this well? Was it shameful to ask for the running head start? Frankly, from reading some of their logs I smell sour grapes. One comment re: the mom (me) being lucky and other complaints about the coords. And by the way, they were all very nice when we were talking and I thought it was a blast running into fellow cachers to add to the excitement of the FTF.

What would you have done? :P

Edited by DavisFamily
For me - in most cases I don't mind walking and talking but there is something about the find - I want to find it - not watch Joe beat me out of it because he was faster then I was.  But if it was like my third time back I wouldn't mind the help.  I guess it just comes down to the cirmstances at the moment.

This is why on the occasions when I've met another cacher on the walk to a cache site, after the 'hi how are ya' stuff, I generally ask how they want to handle the actual cache hunt. Should the first finder yell out "found it" and pull the cache out, or "keep looking" while working away from the actual site, then let the other know that "it's here somewhere, keep looking". That way each gets to enjoy finding it, if they so desire, or if both parties are in a hurry or whatever, the first to find can pull it, then both can log and be on their way.......

Oh, and I've always enjoyed meeting another cacher in the woods, even though it hasn't happened all that often.

We (the kids and I) had a funny experience today on a FTF hunt in a cemetary. When we arrived, there were 4 adults there already hunting, clearly out in the open, for stage 1. We joined in the hunt (Never even thought about asking if they minded) and after 5-10 min, I happened to find the hole that stage 1 was hidden in. They were all in various other areas and didn't notice me grab the film cannister, palm it and wander away.

I logged the coords for stage 2 and then debated with myself as to the proper thing to do. Do I sneak it back into the hole, quietly gather the kids and wander away for stage 2. Or, do I admit I found it and share and risk losing my FTF on the final stage? Especially given that my fellow caching team members are ages 3, 6, 8 and 10, while we're "competing" against 4 adults with 4 GPSr's.

What did I do? Well, I gave them the coords and asked for a running head start, given that the kids had much shorter legs AND that we DID find the stage 1 first. (They weren't seeking in the correct area at that time). Stage 2 was a total gimme, the cache location was obvious from 100 ft away.

So I'm wondering, did I handle this well? Was it shameful to ask for the running head start? Frankly, from reading some of their logs I smell sour grapes. One comment re: the mom (me) being lucky and other complaints about the coords. And by the way, they were all very nice when we were talking and I thought it was a blast running into fellow cachers to add to the excitement of the FTF.

What would you have done? :P

sounds like you did it just fine to me.

you asked - they agreed -

they could have said no -

I just give a friendly hello and ask if they mind company.  If they look at me as if I have 3 eyes, I'll back off.  If they are friendly, then I'll join them.

Um Brian, it seems your techinque has changed considerably since March B) :

Posted: Mar 24 2004, 07:22 AM

I believe the standard we agreed on was when meeting another geocacher, one was to yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I am".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". At least that's the way we do it in New Jersey

I, on the other hand generally do what Brian now claims is his technique.

If the other cacher is at GZ first I'll ask him/her if they want to team up. So far no one has ever declined the offer. A few times I have spotted the cache, moved away from its location and let them know I saw it and did they want to continue the search. That's when it really gets fun. Spectator caching is the best. B)

OK, maybe it is just because I am only starting out and I have not met anyone, but am I the only one who feels almost like I'm doing something elicit while tracking a cache?

I mean. I have been a hiker for years and never felt the sense of "oh my god, there is anothe person" as I was going down a trail. Yet, three times now I have felt very uneasy passing another person and have tried to make the GPS less obvious in my hand as we passed.

I know it sounds crazy as there is nothing wrong or illegal about the whole affair, it's just a very strange feeling and I'm not sure why. Just curious if others have felt this, and if so, how soon does it vanish?

After 72 finds I still feel the same thing B)

I always clip the GPS back onto my belt under my shirt when other people are approaching. And I have never met another cacher, or if yes, I did not realize that they were cachers and neither did they that I was.

still feel illicit when hunting. partly down to being aware of muggles partly because if i didn't know about the sport then i'd be dadgum suspicious of a grown man crawling through bushes!

never met any other cachers yet apart from the two i introduced to the sport. i never really started to meet others just for the enjoyment of finding new things and places and the challenge. but going to go to an event cache in exeter, england in sept so that'll all change.