The New Vistac And Legenc

jotne

Hmm...very interesting, but at the pricepoint of the VistaC I'd go with the 60C for the extra memory, etc. I guess it depends on what you plan on using it for and map features though...as well as ergonomics.

It is interesting that they bumped the memory up on the LEgendC to 24....I wonder if those Legend Lovers will want to make this kind of jump to color?

Dynamite battery life..36hrs! hmm, ok maybe I smell backup now :unsure:

Hmm...very interesting, but at the pricepoint of the VistaC I'd go with the 60C for the extra memory, etc.  I guess it depends on what you plan on using it for and map features though...as well as ergonomics.

It is interesting that they bumped the memory up on the LEgendC to 24....I wonder if those Legend Lovers will want to make this kind of jump to color? 

Dynamite battery life..36hrs! hmm, ok maybe I smell backup now :unsure:

I bet Garmin red this forum an d realized how much people love 60C/CS color screen, and without spending much time on developing took eTrex series case and put 60CS into it :)

I don't see that dadgum title bar on the picture of color Vista :D

Edited by vr12

:unsure:

The color screens definitely work though...it's what forced me to upgrade from my Venture (which I was completely satisifed with at the time--but boy I didn't know what I was missing w/ the autorouting, mapping).

Looks like the major differences between the Legend C and the 60C are:

32MB

Antenna (Patch vs Quad Helix)

Dimensional Size

500 user waypoints vs. 1,000 (for the 60C)

$107.00 Suggested Retail Price

Also - things on the 60C that are apparently missing on the Legend C:

External Antenna Jack

Geocaching Mode

Alarm Clock

Calculator

Calendar

Games

I have to admit that the calendar and games are not of much use to me. Still, I think the additional features of the 60C justify the price difference - Especially the memory and antenna. I may never need the additional 500 user waypoints, but it's nice to know I've got 'em if I need 'em.

Then again, the color screen, additional memory and autorouting are all reasons why I upgraded to the 60C.

I think a lot of people who drooled over the 60 series, but couldn't afford one will take the plunge on one of these.

Nope....not enough to convince me. Spent a day caching with someone with a 60c the other day. Not to badmouth my Legend, which has served me well (knock wood), the reception on the 60c with the quad helix antenna is enough to make me choose it hands down before I would buy a Legend C....plus geocaching features, more memory......now to convince my wife.... :blink:

Also - things on the 60C that are apparently missing on the Legend C:

External Antenna Jack

Geocaching Mode

Alarm Clock

Calculator

Calendar

Games

The Legend C does have the geocaching, games etc. In fact, if you browse through the online manuals, it looks like the exact same software and feature set as the 60C (minus the antenna jack)

The New Vistac And Legenc, Why do we want this with so litle memory

Well people are still buying the Vista and the Legend today so adding more memory to them seems like it would make them better. I know your point was that its not enough, but its more than what it was.

I have had my Legend C since Friday, from GPSCity, and I am absolutely amazed (of course I did just upgrade from an Etrex Yellow that I have had for three years).

I bought it over the 60 mainly for the small size. I was worried that the screen would be too small to use but I am finding that it is fine for navigating in the car.

I am finding that 24 Mb is liveable and a fine tradeoff for price and size.

Reception is great. My Etrex got a good signal in the bathroom, yeah I know, of my one story house. The Legend C, however, gets a good fix in the majority of the house...so treecover doesn't seem to be a problem.

Let me know if anyone wants to know anything specific about the unit and I'll try my best to answer.

I have an eTrex Vista C and it's absolutely amazing! I love the unit's small size (it's as small as my cell phone) and it still has all of the power features of my 60CS. Truth be told, if the Legend C/Vista C would have been available when I bought my 60CS, I would have bought it instead just because of its small size.

I live in So Cal (where there's not a lot of trees and the weather's great 98% of the time) and so I can't tell any real difference between the patch antenna on my Vista C and the quad helix antenna on my 60CS. When I do happen to get into heavy tree cover the 60CS' antenna out performs the Vista C's for sure, but it happens so rarely that I can live without it.

Other than the patch/quad helix antenna debate (as well as no external antenna jack on the Vista C - which I'd never use anyway) and the smaller amount of memory (24 MB vs. 56 MB), the Vista C is nearly identical to the 60C(S) in every way. The software/firmware has all of the same functions (even though it's a different firmware altogether than the 60/76 units - my Vista C shipped with firmware version 2.00) including the games, geocaching mode, calculator, alarm clock, etc. ,etc.

While I admit that for the money I think that Garmin should have upped the memory a bit (at least in the Vista C over the Legend C), but it's still doable and didn't stop me from purchasing it. Basically, I'm going to use my 60CS for geocaching & auto-routing when I'm on vacation and I'm going to use my Vista C for geocaching and auto-routing when I'm at home. The Vista C is so small that I can fit it in my pocket and take it everywhere I go just as I do my cell phone.

The Vista C is totally awesome! :laughing: