76cs Autorouting

This weekend I drove from N. Idaho to Independence, Or. and used my new 76CS. I loaded up all the topo maps for the route, and using Mapsource on my computer marked off a route on the maps. I'm not sure this was required. Using the GPS I hit "Find" and entered my destination and entered "go to" and it put a little car on the screen while I guess it was making a route. It then gave me turn by turn directions while driving - the thing is amazing.

I had one problem where it froze up, none of the buttons worked so I powered it off and back on and the routing stuff was gone. It was easy enough to enter it again.

My questions are

1. Did I have to select and download all those topo maps? or was it doing the routing from the basemap?

2. Can it route to someplace not in the find menu? Say I want to go to a mountain here in Idaho - can I get it to do a route to it? How do you do this?

I'm new at this, my last GPS was a II+ - this one does a LOT more.

thanks...

This weekend I drove from N. Idaho to Independence, Or. and used my new 76CS. I loaded up all the topo maps for the route, and using Mapsource on my computer marked off a route on the maps. I'm not sure this was required. Using the GPS I hit "Find" and entered my destination and entered "go to" and it put a little car on the screen while I guess it was making a route. It then gave me turn by turn directions while driving - the thing is amazing.

I had one problem where it froze up, none of the buttons worked so I powered it off and back on and the routing stuff was gone. It was easy enough to enter it again.

My questions are

1. Did I have to select and download all those topo maps? or was it doing the routing from the basemap?

2. Can it route to someplace not in the find menu? Say I want to go to a mountain here in Idaho - can I get it to do a route to it? How do you do this?

I'm new at this, my last GPS was a II+ - this one does a LOT more.

thanks...

Unless you have City Selct loaded, the gps will route off the basemap. Put another way, TOPO does NOT support autorouting.

If you want to route to say a mountain. Select the point on the map screen by moving the arrow to it an hit enter, then goto.

As the previous poster pointed out, you don't need topo and for driving topo doesn't do anything for you. The 76CS has a basmap built in that's always there and typically contains major roads only. If you want door-to-door directions, you need to purchase/load City Select. V6 has just been released.

With typically routing on the GPS, you don't need to pre-load Routes. What is helpful is to create waypoints on your PC and load the waypoints into the GPS and when you want to go to one, select the waypoint and click Go To.