Favorite Park!

Will+Bill

The Falls of the Ohio State Park in Clark county along the Ohio river--because it has the largest expanse of Devonian Period rocks and fossils in the world (and I am a geology nut!). It also has great fishing, access to the big beautiful river, and a great Interpretive Center.

There are several areas of interest to nature-lovers. The fossils beds, of course, but also an area of willows, a woodsy area, several patches of meadows. I have seen dozens of different types of birds there including egrets, herons, and peregrine falcons.

There are a few caches in there, and near there--I haven't found them all yet. Tried to look for one on the walking trail the other day, but mosquitos were having me for lunch.

The Park backs into a huge federal nature perserve.

The park could be improved if there were camping facilites, but I don't see any place to locate those, so it will likely never happen.

Falls of the Ohio

DNR on the Falls of the OHio

I would have to go with Shades State park. We love the trails and it's much less crowded than Turkey Run which is nearby. There were two caches there last time we were there and several others nearby. Runner-up would be Clifty Falls SP. Again, awesome trails. I don't know about caches there since the last time we were there, geocaching didn't exist!

We really enjoyed a caching day in the Clark State Forest in southern IN, just off I-65. We stopped while driving back to the Chicago area and stayed longer than expected we enjoyed it so much.

A bunch of caches scattered over this great park and very nearby. Easily one of our favorite caching days ever. The place was relatively empty on the Saturday we were there. Lots of vertical change which we were surprised to find in Indiana.

Thanks to all the cache hiders in this area for the great caches!

I would have to go with Shades State park. We love the trails and it's much less crowded than Turkey Run which is nearby. There were two caches there last time we were there and several others nearby. Runner-up would be Clifty Falls SP. Again, awesome trails. I don't know about caches there since the last time we were there, geocaching didn't exist!

Shades is a park that our scout troop goes to almost every year. It is a very nice place!

I can also put in a good word for Pokagon up in Angola. Not for the park as much for the caching. I rarely get to enjoy the parks as a guest but I deliver to several on a regular basis.

A lot of cachers have been filling up Potato Creek, too.

:blink: I would have to say that the greatest park that I know of in Indiana is Wyandotte Woods State Forestry which is in Harrison/Crawford County. There are 26,000 acres in this park with 40 miles of hiking trails and 87 miles of horse trails. At the present time there are 40 caches located in this area. Today alone I found 13 caches in roughly 13 hours of hiking 17 miles in the park. This has got to be one if not the greatest areas for geocachers in the area. You can find more information about the park here: http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/index.html?...s/harcraw.htm&2
When I was a kid we'd go to Spring Mill State Park in Mitchell, IN.  Looks like there are 10 caches too!  I haven't been there since my brother had his wedding there in 1990, but hope it's still a nice place.

Nancy

Still a great spot to visit! Go to the Inn and try their cornmeal pie!

We very much enjoyed two recent visits to Spring Mill Park. This park has so much to offer: 3 caves, the Pioneer Village, the old family cemetery, the waterfall that feeds the grist mill, nice trails. It's not a very big park, so short hikes get you where you're going. Check out this log for some pics:

Little Village People

I like the Deam lake park on the south end of the Knobstone Trail. Indy Diver and Deermark have done a great job of putting out caches on the KT and you can get to them easily. They all have a good hikes to them so you get to be introduced to the trail.

The park has camping,fishing, hiking and riding trails for those that like to take their horse or mountain bikes. NOTE The IN DNR dose not allow horses or mountain bikes on the Knobstone trail. :huh:

MC

Edited by Mountain Climber

We very much enjoyed two recent visits to Spring Mill Park. This park has so much to offer: 3 caves, the Pioneer Village, the old family cemetery, the waterfall that feeds the grist mill, nice trails. It's not a very big park, so short hikes get you where you're going. Check out this log for some pics:

Little Village People

2qwerqE:

Glad you liked Little Village People; it belongs to my husband, Shaggy. I've been meaning to write to you to thank you for posting the great pictures. They really look good!

Edited by Daphne of Mysteries Inc.