Admin/mod/approver Appreciation Week

I nominate that the 2nd week of July be in honor of the Admins/Mods/Approvers. Let's take this week to sing the praises of the people that make all of this possible.

I'll start with mtn-man, Keystone, CO and NJ Admin and congratulate them on a job well done in Moderating.

Then comes Hydee on the Admin side for keeping peace and balance.

As for the Approvers...I'll have to nominate my own local Honeychile for a job well done.

There are also cachers out there that make this sport great, such as Briansnat, Markwell, Clayjar, 360, and many others.

These people work with pure dedication and deserve our respect and recognition. Thanks Guys & Girls. If it were not for you this wouldn't be the fastest growing sport in the world.

El Diablo

Amen to that! These guys put a heck of a lot of time and energy into making this sport what it is, and a lot of that goes unseen by the average paticipant.

A big part of the approver/moderator gig is to say "no" to people for various things. Unfortunately, while the "nos" are a very visible part of the job, the "yesses" aren't. People complain that the mods are always stepping in to shut down threads, yet they never seem to complain when they don't step in, and let threads go on their own merry way. That "non-moderation" is just as much of what they're here to do as is the stepping in to nail down threads before they get too far out of hand.

I guess what it all boils down to is that the admin/approval/moderator team is here not to smack people around and hold grudges, but to ensure that the sport, and everyone's participation in it, remains fun for everyone. Does that mean that everyone's going to get their way and go home happy every day? No. There will always be some amount of unhappiness and conflict whenever there are people involved. Overall though, the mods are doing what they feel is best for the Geocaching community as a whole, even if it means having to step on a toe or two from time to time.

I admit that I have a great deal of respect for the entire Geocaching team. They started with nothing more than a concept back in 2000, and with the help of thousands of players and a dedicated staff, have turned it into a worldwide sport, with more than a hundred-thousand(!) caches hidden in more than 200 countries around the globe.

Being an administrator, approver, and/or moderator is, I imagine, an awfully thankless job a lot of the time. I imagine that relatively few people even bother to say "thanks" from time to time, for all the work they put into the running of the site. Similarly, I imagine that the "flames" vastly outnumbmer the "props", since whenever someone has a problem or a beef with the way things go, they're right there on the front line, taking the abuse.

Every day, these guys do what they do, taking the flames, having to tell people "no", maintaining the systems and the forums, all for the love of the sport and what it means to them, and to everyone else playing the game. That takes a lot of dedication, especially on those days where everyone seems to be piling onto them for some perceived slight or another.

Without their work behind the scenes, there wouldn't be a Geocaching.com, there wouldn't be a Groundspeak, and there wouldn't be Geocaching as we know it today.

I know I speak not only for myself, but for a good number of other cachers out there when I say "Thanks, guys. We really do appreciate everything you do."

Thanks again!

Keep on Caching!

Well other then the admin and staff that has already been mentioned we here in the north have cache-advance, cache-tech. Not knowing cache-advance and truly having a great respect for cache-tech which he deserves. I think this is a great orginization and group as a whole. Pat yourself on the back it is well deserved.

Say what you will about the other reviewers, but 9Key rocks. He's got to deal with us rebels down here in Austin, and that's no easy chore. Will, next time you're down this way, I think I speak for all of us, we'll be happy to chip in to buy you a cold bottle of Shiner Bock. :D

I agree with what Seamus said. For a volunteer organization it is run extremely well. The web site is awesome and I am amazed how large this sport is and how consitently it is administered.

Thanks to all who work to make this sport a reality. I am only 4 months into the sport and probably don't undertstand half of what happens behind the scenes.

I'll add my vote as well! I've only been at this for a month, but I'm already impressed! Even with a premium membership, for only $3 a month, I get a reliable, easy to use website, plus have "met" (only one in person so far) some really great people, most of whom are more than willing to help a noob get hold of his new addiction! I'll also say thanks to my local approver, TN Geocacher, who gently reigned me in when I wanted to place my first cache. I'm sure I still have much to learn, but the two I've placed so far are much better than they would have been if they'd just gone straight to the website without anyone looking at them.

This is the greatest game ever! :D

More big kudos to Mountain Climber! He got me rollin' and I just can't stop!

Also, if I may, A great, big, sloppy piggy hug to the Purple Pony and the other quadrupeds watching out for us in AS.

Especially the pony... Oh, yeah! ... Go pony, go pony,go pony, GO!

(signal points?)

Also, if I may, A great, big, sloppy piggy hug to the Purple Pony and the other quadrupeds watching out for us in AS.

Doncha mean watching out BECAUSE of you in AS? :DB)

But seriously, thanks to all the guys and gals on the other side of my monitor. You do a job I not only am not qualified for, but wouldn't do because of all the extra community *cough* "interaction" *cough* you have to put up with... (This *IS* the Internet, after all... :D )

THANK YOU!

And let's not forget the folks who keep the site running Eric(?), Jeremy and all them... Thank you too...!

And let's not forget the folks who keep the site running Eric(?), Jeremy and all them... Thank you too...!

Close!

I would like to extend a hearty thanks to Jeremy, Elias, Hydee, Rothstafari and Opinionate for the work they do on the front lines. They do a great job in giving the volunteers help and support. Without their hard work and pretty much 7 day a week dedication the site would not be what it is today. This site is the best geocaching site out there because of the dedication they have for the community.

Hip hip... hooray!

Hip hip... hooray!

Hip hip... hooray!

:unsure::):D

I've always put out my thanks to TPTB for upholding a standard that appears conflicting at times when the outsider doesn't always know the background behind the issues. It's a tough job and you can't make all the people happy all of the time.

Thanks again for stepping up to the plate and handling the issues that seem to get extraordinarily hot to handle.

I will also add my special thanks to Moun10Bike and Team Misguided for their time and effort they put into the local forums and approvals of our caches. And another special thanks to the WSGA group for bringing the local sport camaraderie to a new level. I hope to see more of you out there.

I'll throw my thanks in for the two approvers in Southern California. I've had nothing but the best of interactions with SoCalAdmin and our newest approver, WestCoastAdmin--both of whom I have had the honor of caching with and the pleasure of knowing as friends.

Thanks for doing the job that I and many others would NEVER want to take on! :unsure:

I agree ... in fact, I'm going to put out Old Glory to show my appreciation. I would like to second El Diablo's list and add my area approver *gln. ...

Thanks Clearpath!!! I clearly need to get "more visible". :-)

(BTW: your check is in the mail )

glenn

the Missouri & Kansas guy.

And a big cheer goes to the team back in the office. Good work.

Yes for sure! These guys and gals go above and beyond the call of duty to make our sport what it is today. There will allways be disagreements on some issues so sometimes they catch a lot of grief and i certainly commend them for hanging in there when the going gets tough. Have some good approvers out there but i gotta send a special thanks to 9Key, as he works with us when needed and does an overall great job down here in Texas!!! :unsure:

There are somewhere in the range of 40-50 people who work every day to try and keep geocaching.com running smoothly and enjoyable.

All of them deserve our appreciation.

Every once in awhile, all the negativity starts to wear me down. Threads like this one remind me why I keep doing this.

It's because I love the game, and the people, and I want give something back for all the great experiences geocaching has given me.

Thank you!

:):unsure: This won't come as any surprise...but if it weren't for the Admins, Mods, and Approvers...we'd all be wandering aimlessly in the woods, or just using our GPSr's for making breadcrumb trails of our travels. To all of "them", your selfless efforts are GREATLY appreciated - and a special thanks to Honeychile for her super work as an Approver in my geo-area.

Regards,

Bill

My special thanks go to *gln! He's always been very nice and very helpful in so many ways.

My heartfelt gratitude goes out to everyone behind the scenes at GC.com for helping to organize such a great sport.

Undying gratitude to Dave Ulmer for getting us all started in this great hobby, sport, game, whatever you call it.

Hugs and kisses to all my new geocaching buddies....I won't mention any names.......you know who you are...lol

DAY 3 OF APPRECIATION IS ON:

When I read through a thread, I love to see the avatars of the Admins. I really like the cute dog with the tongue, the purple pony, and today I just saw the squirrel, speaking of which:

There are somewhere in the range of 40-50 people who work every day to try and keep geocaching.com running smoothly and enjoyable.

All of them deserve our appreciation.

Every once in awhile, all the negativity starts to wear me down. Threads like this one remind me why I keep doing this.

It's because I love the game, and the people, and I want give something back for all the great experiences geocaching has given me.

Thank you!

The old rule they taught us in Seminary may apply: "Never resign on Monday," 'cause that's the day you're most discouraged.

But seriously, folks, Why does the State of Pennsylvania exist? It's a 310mile buffer between Ohio and New Jersey - that's what the truck drivers say. Maybe you even like NJ...maybe.

But seriously, folks, Why does the State of Pennsylvania exist? It's a 310mile buffer between Ohio and New Jersey - that's what the truck drivers say. Maybe you even like NJ...maybe.

The Ohio cache reviewer lives in Pennsylvania.

So, how much is it worth to you to have your caches unarchived? ;)

This is what drew me to this sport in the first place...the genuine kind-heartedness of pretty much everyone I have ran into in the forums, IRC, etc etc...it really is a great place to be and we couldn't be here if it weren't for all of the people who volunteer their time so we can enjoy our time....so Thank You!...keep up the great work! ;)

-Six

I'd like to say that I had a cache not approved by Team Misguided. Even though I didn't agree with the reasoning, we had very civil discussions about it, and I think that she handled it very well.

All of the dealings that I have had with her have been very nice.

So I just wanted to say that I appreciate the hard work that Team Misguided is doing, with such a tough job. ;)B)B)

One of the great things about this thread, is that we are hearing from people that seldom post. It just goes to show that there are a great many people out there that we seldom hear from that appreciate the Admins/Mods/Approvers.

I know there are times when I and others get cranked up that the Mods are out there banging their heads against the wall questioning their reasoning for continuing to do what apprears to be a thankless job. ;)

If it weren't for you guys, someone would have already of reached out and snatched me right through my computer monitor! B)

Keep up the good work. We need you.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo
The Ohio cache reviewer lives in Pennsylvania.

So, how much is it worth to you to have your caches unarchived?

Now, I wonder. I met someone today from Pa. who uses the word Keystone in connection with his business. You don't happen to be in Mansfield for a few days on business, connected with air filtering, do you?

I love Pa. our church camp is in Pa., and it keeps NJ away. ;) Please don't hurt my caches!