Megellan Explorist Review

To my knowlege they arent shipping (officially) until the end of this month.

However, scuttlebutt around here isnt too favorable. Apparently none of the explorist units have data ports, so all waypoints will have to be hand keyed, and you cant use it for position reporting on your laptop software, etc.

Be interesting to see for sure if that is truly the case.

They should have at least had the etrex type of data/power connector on the explorist GPS, that is also on the itty bitty Gecko's except the 101, and the eMap GPS.

I have found that the Meridan/Sportak Data/power connector had a very good connection, but was too big and required several turns of a screw to make a tight connection.

They should have at least had the etrex type of data/power connector on the explorist GPS, that is also on the itty bitty Gecko's except the 101, and the eMap GPS.

I have found that the Meridan/Sportak Data/power connector had a very good connection, but was too big and required several turns of a screw to make a tight connection.

The eMap does have connections for external antenna, data and power. They just aren't the same type as the rest of the Garmins from the same generation of units.

The antenna is a small (MMCX or MMCX/r?) coaxial connector, and the power/data is broken out to a bottom-mounted connector next to the battery cover.

Here is a post from sci.geo.satellite-nav, posted by "bob"

"Magellan Replied to my email:

Hello!

The eXplorist 100, 200, and 300 are 14 channel WAAS enable GPS receivers

with a patch antenna. The 100 contains no basemap. The 200 and 300

contain a North American basemap. All three units are capable of saving

20 routes and 500 waypoints. The 100 is capable of saving 3 track log

files. The 200 and 300 are capable of saving 5 track log files. The

300 will have a 2 axis compass and barometer. Aside from those

differences the the rest of the specs are about the same. The battery

life is 18 hours on two AA batteries. Waterproof standard is ipx7. The

display backlight is a two level amber backlight. All three units do

not support MapSend and are not capable of data transfers.

Thank you for choosing Magellan

Magellan Technical Support"

Hopefully magellan uses a full size patch antenna, not the smaller ones found in Garmin's etrex units.

I also wish that magellan would have used a 3 axis compass (like the platnium/ sportrack color) in the 300.

Wyatt W.

Hopefully magellan uses a full size patch antenna, not the smaller ones found in Garmin's etrex units.

I also wish that magellan would have used a 3 axis compass (like the platnium/ sportrack color) in the 300.

Why? the unit is useless for geocaching for anyone except the ignorant newbie that just runs out and buys based on price, or a massochist that enjoys pressing buttons...

"lets see... the coordinates are... up-right-right-right-enter.... down down left left left enter...." 3 hours later, they finally get all thier caches entered and can go hunting...

Notice I said ignorant, and not stupid... there is a difference.

I get the feeling this isnt a very long product life cycle. Mark my words... I give it a year before you see them on clearance and they are replaced with the 500, 600, and 700s... no real new features except a data port (or sdcard socket).

Freinds dont let freinds buy an eXplorist.

Patch antenna, 2-axis compass, no data port ..... nothing like going backwards in technology, eh?

What's in store for the eXplorist 400 ..... a paper clip antenna, a button compass embedded in the housing, and a AAA map of the state of your choice?

Magellan has a winner here folks. ;)

tm

Patch antenna, 2-axis compass, no data port ..... nothing like going backwards in technology, eh?

What's in store for the eXplorist 400 ..... a paper clip antenna, a button compass embedded in the housing, and a AAA map of the state of your choice?

Magellan has a winner here folks. ;)

tm

They are just trying to sell non top-of-the-line products just like Garmin is doing with Gecko and etrex.

It could be interesting selling cheap units for people who don't want spend money in a GPSr

Edited by garri
They are just trying to sell non top-of-the-line products just like Garmin is doing with Gecko and etrex.

It could be interesting selling cheap units for people who don't want spend money in a GPSr

Even more interesting is that Garmin was able to add a data port to their low end units.

Sindigo