Your Favourite Things To Find In A Cache?

the4granolacrunchers

We have found 21 caches so far and it is probably time for us to make our first cache. What in your opinion are your favourite things to find in a cache? If you would rather point me to a recent post of favourite cache items instead of putting your favourites down here please feel free to do so instead (or as well). Also I have perused the forums and understand the term "gumf". Thank you for your time.

1.  Hamsters

2.  Hand-made items that mean something or say something about the person who created them.

3.  Outdoors supplies (whistles, carabiners, etc.)

4.  CITO canisters

5.  Unusual gadget/gimmick items

6.  Toys (new, not used) for the kiddies

With possible exception of number one, I tend to agree with The Leprechauns (McToys don't really qualify as "toys" for number 6, though).

I also enjoy #2, the hand-made items, and on the occasions that I get out and cache down here, I leave chainmail juggling balls as trade items:

n_plus_1.jpg

These are popular items in and around Maryland, where Fergus, who taught me how to make them, uses them as his signature items.

I also enjoy finding CDs (production discs, not burned copies that violate the heck out of copyright laws), and usually tote around a few good CDs in my bag for trading out should I find one in a cache.

In general, if you avoid the "gumf", and use items that you would enjoy finding in a cache, chances are pretty good that someone else will probably enjoy finding them as well.

Little Leprechaun would snatch up one of those cool geocaching bracelets in a heartbeat! Good job. She would pass up a similar bracelet from the dollar store. They're literally a dime a dozen.

A CITO canister is a small container, like a 35 mm film canister, into which is packed a trash bag. If there is a CITO canister in a cache, and I saw trash on the hike in, I am more likely to pick that trash up during my hike back to the car. Sometimes people hide caches in areas that have lots of litter, and put a dozen or more CITO canisters as trade items -- sort of a CITO theme cache. Always a good idea. See the Cache-in, Trash-out forum for more ideas and details.

So far I've only found 20 caches and haven't found anything 'unique' or of my interest so I normally just SL. The exception to this is when I have my daughter with me or see something she might like...then I nab it and leave something in exchange.

I'm currently working on a series of my own caches whereby I purge any excess goodies from my hobbies....golf was listed last Thursday, there will be others very soon. At least folks will know what they're getting into if they find it early on. Of course, I don't expect it to be a Theme cache...just a way for me to share some of my items that are just collecting dust.

We have found 21 caches so far and it is probably time for us to make our first cache. What in your opinion are your favourite things to find in a cache? If you would rather point me to a recent post of favourite cache items instead of putting your favourites down here please feel free to do so instead (or as well). Also I have perused the forums and understand the term "gumf". Thank you for your time.

1. Pizza

2. Cookies

3. Cheez Whiz

Oh wait...that's what I like to find in my backpack.....

:DThanks for all of the ideas. Perhaps this is what our first cache will look like:

-Hamsters B)

-Hand-made items

-Outdoor supplies

-CITO canisters

-Unusual Gadgets and Gimmicks

-New toys (no McD's)

-New, not burned, CDs

-Cash

-Unscathed keychains

-Unscathed pin badges

-Just the log book

-Extra log books?

-Bungee cords

-Foreign currency

-Camping items

-Hiking items

-Mini fans

-Italian Charms

-Sunscreen

-Bug Repellent

-Working pen

-Silly keychains

-Funny trinkets

-Hobby items (golf?)

I guess we'll have to use a Rubbermaid garbage can to hold it all! :D

:DThanks for all of the ideas. Perhaps this is what our first cache will look like:

[ snip! ]

-New, not burned, CDs

[ snip! ]

Actually, what I was referring to was audio CDs with music on them, rather than CD-Rs or -RWs. I often find some real (often forgotten) gems in the "bargain bin" of the used music stores, for only a few dollars each. CD companies sometimes re-release older discs in remastered form, often containing new tracks. A couple of times, having "upgraded" to the new version of the CD, I carried the older disc in the cache bag until I found a really great cache to put it in, and traded out for something nice. It's a fun way to share some of your favorite music with someone else.

Foreign coins and cool coins are #1 on my list. Tokens, special occasion coins etc are #2. Geocoins would be number 1 but, the only one I've ever had a chance to find was essentially a travel bug and so I couldn't trade for it and add it to my treasure chest. Since Travel bugs give me no special thrill the coin is still out there. When other cachers get interested in coins it sure motivates me to be FTF after a coin is placed.

My favorite item I've found is something that I now use all the time, and bring on every geocaching trip. It was listed in the log as a "child's fanny pack", but it actually fits a (small) adult. I use it as a camera-carrying case, and it's the most comfortable fanny pack I've ever worn. It just holds a smallish camera and a pair of AA batteries. It's so small and light that I literally forget it's there until we get back to the car and I sit down and there's this lump between me and the car seat.

Other than that, things we like to find are toys that would make good travel bugs.

My favorite item I've found is something that I now use all the time, and bring on every geocaching trip. It was listed in the log as a "child's fanny pack", but it actually fits a (small) adult. I use it as a camera-carrying case, and it's the most comfortable fanny pack I've ever worn.

I think I've seen those fanny packs you're talking about. The dollar store sells them. Great suggestion, thanks :unsure:

My son (Football Freak) and I both love signature items. That is almost all I trade for anymore. Football Freak can't stand not to trade, so he trades for other things as well. He likes little trinkets and pocketknives. Since pocket knives are not suppose to be in caches he is always happy to trade them out :unsure: It is amazing how a little toy soldier or something that I would not look twice at becomes valuable because I know it was left be the cacher who signed his name on the bottom. Didn't someone leave blue crayons for awhile as a signature item?

Edited for sloppiness.

Edited by Cannonlaw

I'm into signature items too..

I don't always trade for things either, but when I see something that strikes my fancy, I grab it.

Basically, I think cachers are into finding a dry cache in a nice hiding spot above any trade item you'd put in a container.

Some things that I'd like to find or have found:

* Extra Batteries for a dying GPSr

* Un-activated Travel Bugs

* Mini Flashlights

* Free drink from StarBucks Coupon

* CITO bags are always good (espescially when I notice a lot of trash on the way in)

* Disposable Cameras

All in all...just put in what you'd like to find!

Have fun!

-Six

I'm really a sucker for sig items! :) I will always trade for them if I find them in a cache.

I am usually a 'leave something, take nothing' cacher but every once in a while I will see something that catches my eye and I will do a 'normal trade'.

There is an asian dollar store near my house and they sell packages of small gold Buddha figurines. You get 6 of them for 2.00. Every time I leave one of them in a cache, they next finder immediately takes it. I thought they were neat but I didn't know they would be such a highly sought after item.

We have also left 'biners, emergency blankets, emergency ponchos, small LED keychains, Coleman whistle/compass/thermometer combo keychains and various childrens toys (Silly Putty, mini Slinky's etc.). People seem to really love the items we leave in caches so I keep buying what people like for trade swag. :unsure:

And there is our signature button (which we place in small jeweler's ziplock baggies):

sig.jpg