Projecting Waypoints

:D I would bet theres an easier way, but off the top of my head, I'll give you this opiton. Assuming your doing this at a location where you have access to a computer, type both locations into EasyGPS, set one of the points as a home point and it will calculate the distance and direction to the second point. I tried this and depending on how close the points are, the answer will be in either feet/meters, or in mile/km to the nearest 1/10th. Direction will be displayed to the 1/10 of a degree. Just one of many methods, I'm sure. Of course that being said, if you're going over a long distance, even a 0.1 measurement error could be a lot. For instance, it you project over a distance of 10km or about 6.2 miles, the azimuth error of 0.1 would amount to about 17 meters or 55 foot. Longer distance would increase at about the same rate. Basically, a 0.1 degree error is going to throw you off by about 1.7 meters per km of range, or 8.3 foot per mile of range Edited by Team Madog

Sitting in my easy chair, wanting to know the distance between a point X and a point Y, and both are somewhere else in the world, I use the routes feature on the GPSr which tells me the leg distance. So far, I have not found this to be flawed. Are there situations where this would not be reliable?

If you have 2 known waypoints, do as Thicketfella says, create a route in your GPSr with these 2 points and it will give the bearing from the first to the second and the distance.

With an actual projection, you know the coords of one waypoint, and the distance and bearing to the second. Use the projection feature on your GPSr and it will give you the coords to the second waypoint.

Edited by EScout