Virtual And Multi Cache Waypoints In The Pda

After the first day field I have seen the light! I am convinced that paperless caching is the bomb! We jumped right in with both feet and love the convenience thanks to an el-cheapo Palm m500 (from ebay - cheaper than 2 ink cartridges)

But now I have a newbie question: I've noticed that some waypoints in the pda will change to VC**** and MC**** (virtual and multi) but the waypoints in my Legend all remain as GC****. This threw me off when searching the PDA for a cache that should have been close by. (Not for long though, when I saw what was happening I stated searching the PDA file for the last 4 digits of the waypoint)

From the pocket query I use Spinner & Plucker to get the .gpx files into the PDA and EasyGPS to get the waypoints into the GPS.

Did I miss something in the management of the .gpx files? How do I make all the waypoints carry the same naming conventions in both the PDA and GPS?

Edited by SoonerKat
After the first day field I have seen the light! I am convinced that paperless caching is the bomb! We jumped right in with both feet and love the convenience thanks to an el-cheapo Palm m500 (from ebay - cheaper than 2 ink cartridges)

But now I have a newbie question: I've noticed that some waypoints in the pda will change to VC**** and MC**** (virtual and multi) but the waypoints in my Legend all remain as GC****. This threw me off when searching the PDA for a cache that should have been close by. (Not for long though, when I saw what was happening I stated searching the PDA file for the last 4 digits of the waypoint)

From the pocket query I use Spinner & Plucker to get the .gpx files into the PDA and EasyGPS to get the waypoints into the GPS.

Did I miss something in the management of the .gpx files? How do I make all the waypoints carry the same naming conventions in both the PDA and GPS?

I am guessing that the spinner is changing the waypoint names. I am sure it is an option you can change so that it leaves them as GC****. No way to get the MC**** into the GPS unless spinner can export to your GPS.

The original waypoint names all start with GC in the gpx file. Spinner changes this according to the cache type and it outputs a modified gpx file named spinner.gpx. If you use this file with EasyGPS to get the waypoints to the PDA, they will have the same names.

I prefer using GSAK to change all the cache names by using Smart Names. The gpx codes aren't at all helpful, so I have GSAK send the names to my GPS as something that makes some sense. It will also do this with Cachemate, so you don't have to deal with the cryptic codes. GSAK will also let you change the codes by dropping the first 2 characters entirely if you like, plus several other neat tricks.

as77 Posted: Jul 11 2004, 10:04 AM 

The original waypoint names all start with GC in the gpx file. Spinner changes this according to the cache type and it outputs a modified gpx file named spinner.gpx. If you use this file with EasyGPS to get the waypoints to the PDA, they will have the same names.

and then NightPilot Posted: Jul 11 2004, 04:00 PM 

I prefer using GSAK to change all the cache names by using Smart Names. The gpx codes aren't at all helpful, so I have GSAK send the names to my GPS as something that makes some sense. It will also do this with Cachemate, so you don't have to deal with the cryptic codes. GSAK will also let you change the codes by dropping the first 2 characters entirely if you like, plus several other neat tricks.

Thanks for the replies

OK, I see the spinner.gpx and the names it creates. Looks like it also converts some icons also. Along with the geocache icon I see $ and stadiums and toll booths. Whats with that?

I think it won't be long before I try out GSAK and Cachemate too.

OK, I see the spinner.gpx and the names it creates. Looks like it also converts some icons also. Along with the geocache icon I see $ and stadiums and toll booths.

I noticed this too while I was out in field and was very confused. I can see why you want it I suppose, but I prefer the normal waypoint names. I now use spinner to prepare the files for plucker but still use the originally gpx to send to my GPS, as the waypoint names and icons are unchanged. :unsure:

Not to bash spinner or any other Palm software, but take a look at Cachemate for the Palm. Love it!

Zack

If paperless is the bomb... CacheMate is an atomic bomb. And at the price, you get the most - ah - bang for the buck. It's free to try it out and quick and simple to do so. If you know anyone with it, they can beam it to you and then several caches to boot. I rate CacheMate total tops. ;) Besides, it's Mac friendly as well as PC friendly. [but doesn't work on Pocket PC's]