Batteries???

I got a MH-C401FS 100 Minute Cool Battery Charger with the powerex 2300mAH batteries & I love it! It has fast & trickle charge settings for AA's as well as AAA's & comes with a power adapter for the car. Even on the fast setting, the batteries do not get hot. & best of all, it charges each battery individually! I've found that the 2300's that now come with the charger last just as long as alkalines - 12 hours in my power hungry marigold. The charger with batteries is under $50 now. goto Thomas distributing for more info.

I was using 2300 mAh NiMHs for a while, but they just didn't cut it. Regular Energizer alkaline cells will last almost a whole day in my Vista. I bought the super-deluxe 36-piece mega pack from home depot for $12. It has proven to be more effective than constantly switching out the NiMHs which go dead in a couple hours.

I'm afraid to use cheap batteries in my GPS. I have tried using cheap batteries for my sons toys and they leaked way too easy. I could never trust them in expensive electronics. The cheapest batteries I will buy are Ray-O-Vacs, but usually buy Duracells or Energizers. For me I usually spend between $6-8 for an 8 pack of either brand and I'll get a good 40 hours of use out of them. To me, thats money well spent and I don't have to worry about them leaking. :D

Kar

Thanks all you Dur@cell, Evere@dy, R@yovac customers!!!!

You all are helping keep my dad's job at an Ohio steel mill that makes the metal casings for those batts!!!!

(I felt ashamed buying rechargables, knowing that it doesn't help the mill any! And I sure as heck won't buy any of those generic Jap batteries - foriegn battery, foreign steel, foreign PROFIT ;) !!!)

I use & like R@yovac Max, personally, although I think Dur@cell has(/had) a policy that if the battery ever leaked in a device, the company would replace the batts and the device.

BTW, all you hunters, keep using R3mington ammo (they do casings for them too). ;)

Oops... showing my age, I mean 3nergizer, not evere@dy - are they even around anymore?

Edited by TruFinds
I'm afraid to use cheap batteries in my GPS. I have tried using cheap batteries for my sons toys and they leaked way too easy. I could never trust them in expensive electronics. The cheapest batteries I will buy are Ray-O-Vacs, but usually buy Duracells or Energizers. For me I usually spend between $6-8 for an 8 pack of either brand and I'll get a good 40 hours of use out of them. To me, thats money well spent and I don't have to worry about them leaking. ;)

Kar

Yer gettin ripped off. I got the 36 pack of energizer AAs at home depot for $12. Maybe $13. The 24 pack is also available there, for $9 or so.

If you buy batteries at walmart or somewhere in the 8 pack you are going to pay a much higher unit price.

Yer gettin ripped off. I got the 36 pack of energizer AAs at home depot for $12. Maybe $13. The 24 pack is also available there, for $9 or so.

Trust me...If I seen them priced like that here, I'd be all over them like flies on sh*t! Every once in awhile I'll find the 24pk of Energizers in the supermarket for $9, otherwise its normal price is around $16.

<rant> I try to avoid Home Depot as much as possible, they have closed down so many knowledgeable and cheap mom & pop hardware stores and its still not enough for them. Every time I turn around they are building another one and their prices are not that good considering the amount of volume they move.</rant>

Kar

Energizer lithiums - the blue and silver ones - last noticeably longer than alkalines.  They run about $10 for a four pack.

I use those as well, but I get the four pack for $6.54 at the base commisary.

Isn't being military or retired military great???

Yep, I keep some of those in my critical rescue gear.

;)

If they sold those here. The cadet mini-BX sucks. But they might have them in the real BX/commissary on main side, I just haven't checked as I haven't yet depleted my stockpile of regular AA's B)

I also like buying cheap gas on base B)

If they sold those here. The cadet mini-BX sucks. But they might have them in the real BX/commissary on main side, I just haven't checked as I haven't yet depleted my stockpile of regular AA's :P

I also like buying cheap gas on base ^_^

They run about $9 a four pack in the BX, and $6.54 in the commissary.

i got a panasonic rechargable thing to pull into the wall and batteries for 20$ at a wholesale club... it charges both aaa and aa batteries, came with 4 aaa and 2 aa, and i bought more aaa, since thats what my gps uses (my digital camera uses aaa so it all worked out) whenever i put charged batteries into my gps it says they only have 3/4 power, but i bring back ups and it is still so much cheaper than buying new batteries :o

I tried some of the energizer long life batteries (the e2 titaniums) and found to my dismay they actually didn't even last as long as a regular set, what a jip that was.

For now I just buy the super pack at the local home depot. 36 energizers for 13 bucks, not too bad a deal, and that'll keep my GPSr going, and going and going.

I was using 2300 mAh NiMHs for a while, but they just didn't cut it. Regular Energizer alkaline cells will last almost a whole day in my Vista. I bought the super-deluxe 36-piece mega pack from home depot for $12. It has proven to be more effective than constantly switching out the NiMHs which go dead in a couple hours.

NiMHs are good for about 1000 charges and then start to loose their rated capacity. If that's not your problem with the NiMH batteries then you managed to get hold of bad batteries or have a charger problem. I've used 1300, 1500, 2000, and the newer 2300mah batteries without any problems. Sure saves money in the long run!

NiMHs are good for about 1000 charges and then start to loose their rated capacity. If that's not your problem with the NiMH batteries then you managed to get hold of bad batteries or have a charger problem. I've used 1300, 1500, 2000, and the newer 2300mah batteries without any problems. Sure saves money in the long run!

And the long run is actually a fairly short hike!

Less than $10 for a set of 4 at Walmart, even cheaper online. (I've seen 24 batteries for $30).

Compare that to a set of Duracells at 7-11!

I have a Maha recharger and a variety of rechargable batteries. I top them up the night before a caching session, which isn't really good for them...but I reckon they'll fall to pieces long before I use up all the recharges in them.

My Significant Other is a battery fanatic (yes, there are many forms of geekery). I phoned him up from the store to ask if a particular brand was any good, because I was about to buy them. "dadgum!" he said, "you've just ruined your birthday surprise!" He's such a romantic.

I have the duracell nihm rechargeable 2100 in my sportrak color. works great. also use sanyo nihm 2200 in it too , I got those with my digital camera but the small 2 aa recharge for the sanyo's seems to condition them too for the longest life. plus I can just slip it in my pack for on the go.

I am also a recent fan of the Energizer Lithiums. They do last considerably longer. Other points in favor of lithium batteries are a long shelf life (not that useful if you geocache a lot, but they will keep their full charge up to 10 years when stored), and they are fairly immune to the cold (definitely useful in my neck of the woods for geocaching during the winter).

Downside of course is price, they cost roughly 3 times as much as regular Energizers or Duracells.