Forum Old-timers

mikemtn

This is an approximate list of everybody that posted in the Geocaching Topics Forum in the first week of July 2001. I recognize a few names. Wonder how many are still around?

IronHelix, Terraranger, cleenjeep, zilla, Lazyboy, rastas, mfratto, jeremy, mjbgis, RTr1031732, Cache-potato, Markwell, suntzu, bunkerdave, Peanuthead, Paul Lamble, PneumaticDeath, JIntorcio, WaylandersMA, rebobbitt, lostsoul, ClayJar, Snowtrail, mfratto, TimRiker, bunkerdave, cavetoad, Hawk-eye, brownbag, c.mathis, bigmancam2, Cold Chuck, Eoghan, c_oflynn, tak1, rusty, mcb, Ttepee, Exocet, rijn, Jeffrey R, Lou C, cache_only, kimbeattie, Iron Chef, logscaler, stow, Robereno, ericdb1, Moss Trooper, suntzu, Silver, bcbpbob, barefoot, 300mag, martinp13, webbittown, Prime Suspect, Nemesis, CharlieP, Paul Lamble, Peter Scholtz, Moun10Bike, Artful Dodger, makaio, cache_ninja, Cach-U-Nuts, scott, kbraband, Lux Lucid, SteveL, Bill Schechner, Leapgirl, tslack2000, Paulwhy, gnbrotz, bigmancam2, Quinnow, EraSeek, Excession

edit: I guess I can't edit the title.

Edited by mikemtn
After 3 years, you get invited over the the secret forum, where we do all the reall... oops. I wasn't supposed to talk about that. Never mind. Move along. Nothing to see here.

How many times do I have to tell you...that's not public information. :(

El Diablo

Sorry! At least I didn't let anything slip about Project LaRue, or the Brotherhood Of Twelve. That would have been bad.

Although not much of a poster, I think BruceS is an old timer. Anyone know if he's still megapower caching?

I tried to do an interview with BruceS for Today's Cacher.com. It seems that he isn't really caching anymore. I hope he gets back into it, he is a great icon.

El Diablo

Of course Markwell is still around and ClayJar. Both are still fairly frequent forum participants, as are Moun10Bike and Prime Suspect. Bunkerdave posted recently. Artful Dodger just posted a maint note on one of his caches after a farily long absence from the scene. ErasSeek is still around. Cache Ninja will still occasionally hide a new cache (but if he's finding them, he isn't logging them. Ttepee is still around and very active. I've seen her at a few events and she's still hiding and bagging caches. Hawk-eye committed geocide a while back. We all know where Jeremy and Quinnow are. Barefoot is still bagging 'em, though when I met him on the trail a few months ago he was wearing hiking boots and finally, I think Cache-U_nuts and gnbrotz are still active, though they don't seem to visit the forums as much as they used to. Not sure about the rest.

Edited by briansnat

I recently got to go caching with Cache-U-Nuts. He is quite the hiker. More like a mountain goat! I've seen gnbrotz in chat every now and then. logscaler is also in chat every now and then and Ttepee is in there quite often. I have cached with Ttepee too! Moss Trooper was one of the original reviewers for Great Britain, but with all the politics that went on over there they resigned. GB lost a great reviewer back then.

I was a lurker back then too. :D

Although not much of a poster, I think BruceS is an old timer.  Anyone know if he's still megapower caching?

I tried to do an interview with BruceS for Today's Cacher.com. It seems that he isn't really caching anymore. I hope he gets back into it, he is a great icon.

El Diablo

Yeah, that's too bad. I always had the highest respect for him. One of the few true megapower cachers.

--Marky

bunkerdave, TimRiker, bunkerdave, brownbag, Cach-U-Nuts, tslack2000,

This is my first time on the forums in over a year, even lurking. Since we got local forums, I've spent most of my time there. I've been pretty active the entire time.

Bunkerdave (in the list twice) was active, wasn't active, is active again. He had a lot of life changes in the middle that affected things. He's a great guy I need to see more.

TimRiker never was a cacher. He was a guy who made his living programming in an opensource marketplace. He did one cache on a lark, hated the rules Jeremy has behind the web site and quit. He just needed to vent about it before going. He lived around the corner from me. He's now moved to a different stage in his life.

Cach-U-Nuts are still super active. They just spend more time on the local forums. I get to hang out with them some. It's great.

tslack2000 was out of caching for a very long time with other things happening in his life. He's somewhat back, but not super active. He's another great guy. Hopefully, he'll never truly leave.

Edited by brownbag

I did one of Iron Chef's caches yesterday and just for kicks I checked out his profile. He's still kicking around (up in Oregon it looks like) with another California Central Coast caching icon (Just A Short Walk). Between those two, the Monterey Bay area is pretty well covered with caches. A hearty thanks goes out to those two from us newbies. :unsure:

TimRiker never was a cacher. He was a guy who made his living programming in an opensource marketplace. He did one cache on a lark, hated the rules Jeremy has behind the web site and quit. He just needed to vent about it before going. He lived around the corner from me. He's now moved to a different stage in his life.

Would this be the same Tim Riker as the BZFlag maintainer?

Noel

When I first started lurking, there was a guy who posted frequently, I think that his name is Churchcampdave? I'm not sure. Where is he?

ChurchCampDave is in East or SouthEast Indiana cacher. He was never a "power-cacher" that I noticed, but I still see his finds or notes on my watchlist.

I myself didn't join the forums till I joined gc.com in August of '01, but I've got alot of local forums I frequent of cities or states that I cache in and I really only read the regional boards here once a month or so, and they're slow.

So I couldn't even claim myself to be a lurker.

Artful Dodger, active

Barefoot, active

bcbpbob,

bigmancam2,

Bill Schechner,

brownbag, active

bunkerdave, active

c.mathis,

Cache-potato,

cache_only,

cache_ninja, active

Cach-U-Nuts, active

cavetoad,

CharlieP, active

Cold Chuck,

ClayJar, active

cleenjeep,

c_oflynn,

EraSeek, active

ericdb1,

Eoghan,

Excession

Exocet,

gnbrotz,  active

Hawk-eye, geocide

Iron Chef, active

IronHelix,

jeremy, active

Jeffrey R,

JIntorcio,

kbraband, active

kimbeattie,

Lazyboy,

Leapgirl,

Lou C,

Lux Lucid,

logscaler, active

lostsoul,

makaio,

Markwell, active

martinp13,

mfratto,

Moun10Bike, active

Moss Trooper, still caching

mjbgis,

mcb

Nemesis,

Paulwhy,

Peanuthead,

Paul Lamble,

PneumaticDeath,

Prime Suspect, active

Peter Scholtz, 

RTr1031732,

rastas,

rebobbitt,

Robereno

rusty, active

rijn,

scott

Snowtrail,

SteveL

stow,

Silver

suntzu

tak1

Ttepee, active

Terraranger,

TimRiker, inactive?

tslack2000, active

Quinnow, active

WaylandersMA,

webbittown,

zilla,

300mag,

Well If I didn't delcte too many non dups, of those 86, 22 have been reported as active at some level, one geocide, and one 'was not a cacher'. The other 62 haven't been reported on.

The original forum software here used to allow you to post under a different name then your caching account. You cant do that now.

Peter Scholtz is still quite active in the Hardware/software forum as Peter.

Lazyboy is still kickin as Lazyboy & Mitey Mite.

Theres probably a few more like that, but those I noticed right off the bat.

Would this be the same Tim Riker as the BZFlag maintainer?

Noel

That would be the same Tim Riker. As you can see from his site and apparently already know, he's a very busy guy. Especially since he is a family man and has young children. I didn't want to come off as saying bad things about him. Just that he's not really every been an old time geocacher. I don't believe he ever did more than 1 cache. He didn't like that Jeremy claims some form of ownership over what gets posted on geocaching. His feeling was that he was giving away too many rights on his writing. It was a show stopper for him.

I'm still here, though I'm currently in the "not caching as much as I'd like to" and "rarely in the chat room" categories.

I also still read the forums on a daily basis, though my total number of hours spent is less than before. This has led to less posts on my part, since by the time I read a thread, it has already received the appropriate response(s).

I did one of Iron Chef's caches yesterday and just for kicks I checked out his profile. He's still kicking around (up in Oregon it looks like) with another California Central Coast caching icon (Just A Short Walk). Between those two, the Monterey Bay area is pretty well covered with caches. A hearty thanks goes out to those two from us newbies. :P

:P Iron Chef is in Santa Cruz, He visited me a couple weeks ago. He's still Very active. I was in Monterey last month to say Hello to a couple of friends.

Anyway Back in the days ( Early 2001) there were only a couple of caches in Monterey... I meet Iron Chef back then and he and I decided to plant "A FEW" caches in monterey and down the Highway 1 to get people to visit... Back then we bought about 50 ammo cans and I put them in the truck a few at a time and MOST of them are still out there going strong...

Thanks for the respect in your post! :):)

Just a Short Walk - Klamath Falls Oregon.

Although not much of a poster, I think BruceS is an old timer.  Anyone know if he's still megapower caching?

El Diablo

I noticed this thread bubbled back to the top. This quote amuses me. :unsure:

On a whim, I went to BruceS's profile. True enough, no finds after Dec '03.. until Jul 29th, 04.. since, lots and lots of finds.

Guess you gave him the boost, Diablo.