Idea For Cache Page Listings

TEAM 360

I was just looking at the Original Stash Tribute Plaque, and noticed that it said "154 visits"...when I counted the smiley faces to determine the amount of "finds", it was only 123...

I think it would be more informative to see something like:

154 visits, 123 finds, 10 DNF, 21 notes

Just a suggestiion. What do you think? :(

Excellent idea!

Even if the DNFs aren't recent, a count of them can be a clue as to how easy or difficult the hide might be, or how well maintained the cache might be.

I'd love to see a find/DNF/note breakdown in the listings.

Great idea, only problem I can see is how often is it going to be updated. For example the number of finds each user has doesn't get updated until the cache owner modifies the page.

Zack

It also updates with each new log so it would work.

I'll add in the idea for an average log length. Longer overall would mean a higher quality cache. it would be intereting to see the correlation.

Great idea, only problem I can see is how often is it going to be updated. For example the number of finds each user has doesn't get updated until the cache owner modifies the page.

Zack

It also updates with each new log so it would work.

I'll add in the idea for an average log length. Longer overall would mean a higher quality cache. it would be intereting to see the correlation.

& just what IS the average length? You got me looking at all of our caches & 'Dial Out SG1' absolutely has the best & longest posts of all of ours. Now I am wondering if they are average, great or mediocre. :unsure:

Jeremy, :) This whole Idea of posts/notes is really good. When can we except this to be implemented?

Shirley~

...just what IS the average length? You got me looking at all of our caches & 'Dial Out SG1' absolutely has the best & longest posts of all of ours. Now I am wondering if they are average, great or mediocre. :unsure: ...

Beats the heck out of me. I know my Lame Urban Micro's get short logs and my remote caches get longer ones but not normally as long as yours.

I suspect it will vary by region somewhat. We wouldn't know the correlation until the site started doing the numbers. It's just an observation that has been brought up in the forums here and there as a way to gage a cache when ratings are discussed.

I was just looking at the Original Stash Tribute Plaque, and noticed that it said "154 visits"...when I counted the smiley faces to determine the amount of "finds", it was only 123...

That's because not everyone logs their finds ;)

Well, I don't imagine TOO many cachers leave "notes" like I do, instead of "finds", but even still, I think it would be nice to see this feature.

Bump. ;)

I am bumping this topic because today Lowracer started a somewhat similar topic -- being able to find out how many people have logged "smileys" on the caches that an owner has put out. Even if there wasn't that kind of aggregate count for the joy that an owner has brought to others, the suggestion in this topic would make the process of manual smiley counting a whole lot easier.

If you look at the people who have posted in this topic, there are folks from across the geocaching ideological spectrum and they are 100% in agreement that this is a good idea, with no arguing or bickering. Very cool.

EDIT: LOL... a simultaneous bump! Great minds think alike, 360... and so do ours.

Edited by The Leprechauns

I was just about to post a new topic about this. I'm glad other people agree that this is a good idea!

It would be easy to impliment, just change:

Logged Visits (13 total. Visit the Gallery)

to

Logged Visits (8 finds, 4 notes, 1 DNF = 13 total. Visit the Gallery)

or something like that.

thanks for considering it!

mcon1

Tulsa, OK

Well... a late post...

I've found this topic because i was just about to post a new topic about something similar but decided to search first... :blink:

I like the idea too (what a surprise...) and i'd add a suggestion to break down the notes in actual visits to the cache site and just notes made to comment something but without actually visiting the cache - This was my idea for starting a new topic.

Today i went to verify a cache of mine (after two DNFs) and it was there. After placing the note, i found my self wondering how many "Logged visits" means real visits to a cache? So, here's the suggestion: Add a check box to the notes log form to indicate if it was a visit to the cache or just ...a note.

Of course this idea will be difficult to implement (a change in the logs form) and the historic (all notes that involved phisical visits) is lost... but here's the idea and my vote to the original suggestion of this topic. B)

We've been seeing many cool changes to the site during last months. Thanks for that. :anitongue:

Is there any chances for this topic's original idea to be implemented?

(breaking down the "Logged Visits ( n total)" into partial counts like "nnn visits, nnn finds, nnn DNF, nnn notes", etc)

FireFox, Grease Monkey, and Prime Suspect script.

Plenty of other scripts that are extremely useful, too.

DRAT! Just when I thought I was going to get to post something helpful here.

As mentioned, this won't account for 'not-onliners', nor those who will post a 'found it' even though they never even saw it.

Lately I have been having fun seeing how many times a cache was logged before I got there, and this is the perfect way to do it.

FireFox, Grease Monkey, and Prime Suspect script.

Plenty of other scripts that are extremely useful, too.

I don't know if these things were available when this thread was first post (almost 2 years ago!), but they are now, and are very useful!

They are very handy as a "community made" work around for a "whole" in the site. But it does require that you click the "All on one page" link becuse the script can only work with what is listed in the HTML. It would be worth while for GC to add this to the initial page load so that it doesn't require a second page load with 250 logs to get the break down.