A newbee question

boplenty

Being new to the sport,Iv'e searched for this question but can't find the answer. When a search is performed by zip code for nearest caches, the coords that download and display to easygps are different than the coords listed on the details page for the cache. I spent hours searching for my first cache with improper numbers programmed in the gps. Am I really that dense? Or am I just missing something?

Boplenty

Check to see that they are in the same format. There are several possibilities:

Degrees, Minutes, Seconds

Degrees, Minutes [with decimals] [caching standard]

Degrees [with decimals]

The way to tell is to look at the format.

If it's DD MM SS [three separate numbers] you have the first.

If it's DD MM.MMM [two numbers, including decimals] you have the second.

If it's DD.DDD [one number, including decimals] you have the third.

Set your GPS to use the second.

quote:
Originally posted by boplenty:

Being new to the sport,Iv'e searched for this question but can't find the answer. When a search is performed by zip code for nearest caches, the coords that download and display to easygps are different than the coords listed on the details page for the cache. I spent hours searching for my first cache with improper numbers programmed in the gps. Am I really that dense? Or am I just missing something?

Boplenty

Actually, the format is my question. When the download occurs to easygps it is in the following format -45.65193, when I look at the details page for the cache, this coord is displayed as -45.39.116. Can I tell easygps to convert or must I manually change each coord before downloading to my GPS?

The problem is most likely that you have the format for your coordinance in easyGPS set to something other that DD MM.MMM . So get into Preferences and change the format on to DD MM.MMM . That should take care of your problem.

Also why you are there make sure your datum is set to WGS 84. You need to do the same thing on your GPSr unit itself if you have not already done it.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes.

15777_2200.gif

I never noticed the EasyGPS format was set for DD.DDD and have been sending that information to my Magellan 330 (set for DD MM.MMM) for a long time and the unit never noticed the difference. Perhaps the unit you have may make a difference and if you want to fix the EasyGPS program, bring the program up and go to File - Preferences. You might also just be having bad luck on your first cache hunt. You don't always find them as the coordinates might be inaccurate (my last one was more that 100 feet off, several people complained) or stolen and no longer there or just cleverly hidden or you just can't find it this time. Just keep in mind that the cache should be within 30 feet at best and may be more.

Shoebox

I finally am gewtting around to using the poicket queries since I'm a premium member. ok, I gotta get easygps, no problemo. only question is, can I somehow load the info into mapsens streets, the database program which stores the waypoints for my magellan 315? it certainly looks like I can download into my magellan directly (ugg... I have to unplug cables to plug in the cable to my gps, which I generally only do 1x per month because its a pain in the butt)

also I am likely to get garmin V deluxe, so same question there. and that brings me to questions two...

can I exchange waypoint files between the gamin software & the magellan streets? this way I can keep only one file, then convery it to the other format for the 2nd gps?

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com